PDA

View Full Version : Downloading files.

ExSp33db1rd
3rd Nov 2015, 22:33
Is this a Windows H'eight problem, or a personal computer problem, but it has only occurred since I purchased this laptop a couple of years ago pre-loaded with Win H'eight ?

Problem - I often get documents, some Word, some .pdf, sent to me to read by 'clicking" on a link, or selecting the title, but instead of simply opening for me to read -as some do immediately - some do absolutely nothing, so I repeat, and repeat ad infinitum.

I've learned that in fact they "download" each time to a "Downloads" file instead of just opening, and I have to open that file first, to find them to then open and read. I can of course then transfer them to any file on my computer that I wish to use, but have to locate them on my "Downloads" file first.

This is the problem ! They are never filed alphabetically in my "Downloads" file under any name that I can recognise, but choose another one at their whim. For instance I have just received my old school magazine electronically, this is entitled "The Red Rose", but downloading it doesn't list it alphabetically under The ........ or even just Red Rose, but as OGA. OGA is the organisation that produces the magazine - although I know that how was I to know that my computer has chosen to file under that name ?

This is a problem with just about every document that I now find is downloaded and passed to the "Downloads" file without any notification to me that this has happened. A foreign newspaper that I often read, and used to just open, is now downloaded and filed against the date, not by the newspaper name ! How stupid is that ?

I've learned to hit the "Open" option about 10 times in quick succession, so when I go to the "Downloads" file I now look for a block of downloads numbered from 1 to 10 - this stands out, and I can then just open the first of the list and delete the rest.

I'm reluctant to move to Win 10 at the moment, ( or iOS 9 on my iPad ! ) God only knows what new problems that will throw at me to solve.

Thinks - maybe I can rig my Downloads file to list by date order, rather than alphabetically, then at least the just downloaded will be at the top of the page, will go and try that. Watch this space. ( Later - this does seem to work, but now I have to try to remember how many years it is since I downloaded something, or switch back to alphabetical filing again - what a PITA )

Life was easier before computers ( or Windows H'eight )

Loose rivets
3rd Nov 2015, 23:07
I go to tools/Downloads or Ctl+J and then right click on the newly downloaded file. Second option down offers the location of that file as I'm sure you know. I then move the darn thing to a location I will remember - an ever-increasingly difficult task these days - and leave the download folder free.

One of the gotchas is using CCleaner or some such and finding the Download folder empty should you rely on it storing a list for you.

(Not sure if CCleaner is the culprit, but something empties my downloads if I rely on there being a nice list in there.)

Keef
4th Nov 2015, 00:08
If my browser (Firefox) knows what the file type is, then it opens it so that I can read it. That works with MS Office stuff, PDFs, JPGs and a few more.

Avast spots the infected ones, and they don't get downloaded at all (that's worked for years).

If it doesn't know what it is, then it puts it into the Downloads folder. I don't let the machine fill up my boot drive with downloaded tat - Firefox knows to put everything into I: \Downloads, which is reserved for that.

It displays files by "date of arrival" so the most recent is always at the top of the list. Keeps it simple for simple little me.

Loose rivets
4th Nov 2015, 00:37
If my browser (Firefox) knows what the file type is, then it opens it so that I can read it.

Ooo . . . what have I been missing?

I'm off to see if CCleaner zapps my Downloads folder.

Yes it does. More time needed to get CC into shape.

Darn. After many years I'm retiring my Motorola phone. Only now I'm trying to send files to the new one have I learned to control it. Why can't soft/firmware just do what you want instinctively?

ExSp33db1rd
4th Nov 2015, 00:59
Thanks guys, seems like I'm doing the best I can, i.e. when I find it re-name it to something relevant to the subject and move it to a relevant file, and I've now re-rigged in date order, but that confuses the alphabetical list that I have kept and not moved - from sometime ago - with some possibility of my remembering what the subject was named should I need to revisit.

I guess it is the file type that causes this, but it would help if it kept the same name as the "link" I have used instead of renaming it, i.e. in my example I clicked on the magazine title, The Red Rose, which was what I wanted to read, and in two years time I might want to revisit the Red Rose of 2015, and not have to try to remember that it filed it under OGA Red Rose, why should I have to delve into the systems psyche to work out what it called it, or that I did it on "around" 3rd November 2015 ?

...................Why can't soft/firmware just do what you want instinctively?

Isn't that what the Apple lovers reckon happens ? (Ooops ! )

I blame Bill Gates.

Guess there's nothing more to say, but thanks again.

Geordie_Expat
4th Nov 2015, 14:59
Once you have found the file, simply rename the damn thing !:\

ExSp33db1rd
4th Nov 2015, 22:54
Once you have found the file, simply rename the damn thingAgreed, but WTF should I have to, why can't it name it the same as the "link" that I clicked, I have a chance of remembering that for the few seconds that it takes to open a new page. Renaming only helps the second time - if ever - one needs to re-visit that site, finding it in the first place is the problem - one you presumably don't have ?

Renaming isn't the problem, finding it is, and as one doesn't know the magic name, not even a Search Box helps - unless at least some of the words are the same, and this isn't always the case.

Maybe Life was never meant to be easy, but why deliberately make it difficult

I still blame Bill Gates !

Saab Dastard
5th Nov 2015, 17:49
Changing default download location:

IE
Internet Explorer - Change Default Download Location - Windows 7 Help Forums (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/112232-internet-explorer-change-default-download-location.html)

Firefox
Quick Tip: Change Firefox Download File Location (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/internet/firefox/quick-tip-change-firefox-download-file-location/)

In FF you can also get it to prompt you every time for the location to save, I don't think you have that option in IE.

SD

Capn Bloggs
6th Nov 2015, 03:24
In FF you can also get it to prompt you every time for the location to save, I don't think you have that option in IE.

There's something awry here. In Win 7 and Win 8.1, whenever I click on a link to a file on the 'net eg an installer (exe) file, I always get a prompt in a long yellow box at the bottom of the screen asking me what to do with it:

http://s26.postimg.org/8hq7u8jih/download_options.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

If you click Save, it goes into the obscure Download folder, as previously mentioned, but the Save As option is on the drop-down. Always been the same with my Win 7 and Win 8.1, multiple machines...

ExXB
6th Nov 2015, 08:56
Just out of curiosity what happens when you 'right-click' on the file? Do you get a Save-As choice?

I do when I right click using Safari - and yes Macs do have right-click menus ...

Capn Bloggs
6th Nov 2015, 09:34
IE's right-click options include "Save target as...". :ok:

I will add that the dialogue box I get, shown in my post above, may be an IE box; I have any other browser installed.

boguing
6th Nov 2015, 11:38
ExSp, it isn't your computer that's renaming the files, it is the name that the sender gave it. A campaign should be started to make the geeks aware of the havoc they create in our downloads folders... A com,puter will rename if there is an identical file name there already, buy this will just add _1 as a suffix.

But in the meantime, if you right click with your pointer in the title bar in the file explorer, you can choose more fields. A handy one is 'date created' which is the date it was written to the folder. Clicking on that new title header will order the files by that date, and your newest one should be at the top (or bottom if you click again).

ExSp33db1rd
7th Nov 2015, 03:57
boguing - yes, I've just got to the re-listing in date order, but of course one must then re-name to something that one can remember when you want to look at it again in 5 years time, or of course move to another folder still in alphabetical order, with a now memorable name

Saab Dastard ... In FF you can also get it to prompt you every time for the location to save,

??? Not so in my examples, I only get a prompt to choose the location for .pdf files that are going to first open anyway, and then be saved, many don't, the browser just blinks and apparently does nothing, except download to Downloads, it doesn't give you the option to save to a folder of ones' choice.
Not sure about I.E. but may move back to Chrome. Not sure what that will do yet.

Thanks.

Loose rivets
7th Nov 2015, 14:46
I realize I must be missing something, but surely,

Tools (in FF) Downloads, (right click) Go to Containing Folder, (left click to 'Pick' it.) Right click, Send to - which of course you've programmed to allow you to send to a few handy places. That is 8 clicks, but you'd be surprised to learn just how many presses some processes take.

I play a puzzle which is quite slow, but often log 2,500 (arrow) selections in a session.

Yes, if it comes as #$#$&#%@SDFZCza$#^b@llix%&^&@@#$%$#ZDFZSBH.tat then it might be wise to call it something else. :}

Drift mode: ON

I was having a well earned cup of tea so idly looked to see how many notes were in the 3rd movement of the Moonlight Sonata. Trills blur the issue, but someone has logged c 6,500. I recal the piece taking c 6.5 minutes. So, fingers don't seem to mind the workload.

Drift mode: OFF

Keef
7th Nov 2015, 15:06
The Windows default save location for Downloads is buried several levels deep in the AppData bit of drive C. I'm sure there was a wonderful reason for that, but I can't see it.

So I told Firefox that all Downloads go into I:\Downloads - I can find 'em in there, quickly and easily.

Filenames for downloads are set by the file creator. If the names are silly, you have a geek before you. There's no substitute for editing the filename while you remember (like, when you read it if you decide to keep it).

The Flying Pram
7th Nov 2015, 18:32
If you're having trouble finding a new download in whichever folder it's been sent to, choose the "List" view, and then right-click in a spare section and choose "Sort By" >> "Date Modified". Depending on whether you have Ascending or Descending chosen, the latest file will be at the end or beginning, respectively. This should help with locating an unexpected file name, which Keef has explained the reason for!