PDA

View Full Version : RA-Aus Recreational Pilots Certificate course in Melbourne?

edwird
2nd Nov 2015, 11:38
Are there good RA-Aus RPC course providers in the Melbourne area, or are there any at all?
I did a little bit of research and found a places offering RA-Aus registered aircraft for hire, but with only information on the more traditional and pricier RPL or PPL courses...

On Track
2nd Nov 2015, 18:59
I suggest you contact the Recreational Aviation Association: raa.asn.au

kaz3g
2nd Nov 2015, 21:20
The flying school at Coldstream teaches both RA and GA. They have a sealed runway which allows flying all year round and a really good club for social and comp events.

Kaz

triton140
3rd Nov 2015, 00:28
Lilydale also teaches RA and GA - we don't have a sealed runway though, so you'll learn soft fields in winter!

Plenty of instructors, including weekdays.

Squawk7700
3rd Nov 2015, 02:00
If it's a "course" you after, they often don't run them, as they prefer to just do a briefing followed by a lesson with a course not being required if you are a clever boy or girl.

It its flying you are after (inc theory) then the closest RA-Aus schools (more on their website) are Lilydale, Coldstream, Tyabb, Tooradin, Moorabbin, Sunbury, Lethbridge and possibly more.

Centaurus
3rd Nov 2015, 11:36
If it's a "course" you after, they often don't run them, as they prefer to just do a briefing followed by a lesson with a course not being required if you are a clever boy or girl.

Does anyone know if the recommended RAA syllabus for LSA training requires training on recovery from a wing drop at the point of stall? Most LSA have benign stall characteristics in that these aircraft tend to "mush" gently at the stall.

My understanding is the RAA syllabus mirrors the CASA GFPT and PPL syllabus which requires demonstration of competency at recovery from a wing drop at the point of stall.

There is anecdotal evidence that some instructors risk over-stressing the airframe by deliberately forcing a wing drop at the point of stall by placing the aircraft into extreme attitudes - even though these aircraft are designed to have benign stalls.

triton140
3rd Nov 2015, 21:30
Does anyone know if the recommended RAA syllabus for LSA training requires training on recovery from a wing drop at the point of stall?

The RA syllabus requires "Correct recovery when wing drops" in a stall.

And yep, planes like the Jab tend to mush rather than a classic stall - can't remember whether my instructor forced a wing drop back then, but suspect he might have.

Certainly had to demonstrate it in the Warrior.

Squawk7700
3rd Nov 2015, 23:28
And yep, planes like the Jab tend to mush rather than a classic stall - can't remember whether my instructor forced a wing drop back then, but suspect he might have.

That just means that you are not pulling back on the stick hard enough. You need more practice pulling on your stick :ok:

That being said, what I think you are suggesting is that if you don't "fully" stall it, you'll end up with a well known 800+fpm descent when you "believe" you are happily flying straight and level. The instructors that I know usually demonstrate this in their lessons, however it could be a trap for a recent convert from another aircraft type or perhaps a GA to RA-Aus conversion.

edwird
6th Nov 2015, 01:54
Thank you very much for all the info. I'll sure check out the schools mentioned.
And no I'm not neccessarily looking for a clearly structured course it's just that it's an easy way to get an idea on how much it'll cost.

Speaking of which, what will be a reasonable number of hours and cost for getting the RPC?

And is it a bad idea to start learning to fly around this time of year in Victoria? it's been raining on and on and on...

Squawk7700
6th Nov 2015, 02:08
Dual training RA-Aus fees around Melbourne can be found between $200 - $250 per hour with solo fees perhaps $60-$70 less. You'll also need to join RA-Aus.

The minimum hours legally are 20 hours (mix of solo and dual hours) for the basic certificate, however it often takes more. Nav endorsement is an additional 10 hours.

Solo can potentially be achieved in around 10 hours (but this is not a certificate or licence, just a milestone).

There are training organisations offering solo packages with lots of hype and alleged inclusions... but there's little point in these; just go with the hourly rate that you like and a school that will meet your needs and take it from there.

PS: If you are an overseas visitor, make sure you don't get the RA-Aus certificate and the CASA RPL confused - they are a different beast. I wouldn't be too concerned about the weather, although November can be a windy month in Victoria.

edwird
12th Nov 2015, 10:40
Thanks again for the reply!

I've been doing some research but have yet find solo rates as low as 60-80. Most schools I found ask for around 100 for solo. Can we actually name flight schools in this forum?

And as for the RPL, my understanding is that if I want to later work towards a PPL I'll have to first convert the RA-Aus certificate into the RPL; and most advertize that as a rather strictforward and cheap process of filling some forms and going through a flight review, but it is actually more complicated than that?

jas24zzk
12th Nov 2015, 12:03
Look at the minimum hours and double it.

Very few people manage it in minimum hours.

If you set the budget like that and manage it in say 1.5, then you have some left over money for further endorsements or just more flying.

If you can manage it in minimum hours, then you would have made it in the airforce...................just saying