PDA

View Full Version : USAF TEST PILOT SCHOOL for civilians?

clearprop.
1st Nov 2015, 14:13
Hello,

apparently USAF TP school accepts not only military personnel but also civilians, including foreigners. Here is a piece of text I found on the Internet:

"The school combines the most demanding parts of college and pilot training. Two classes are conducted a year with approximately 25 students in each. Two-thirds are pilots, the rest are flight engineers/navigators. Most are Air Force personnel but each year, there are several civilian, Navy and foreign students."

Does anybody have any information about it?

Thanks

sycamore
1st Nov 2015, 14:37
I think you will find that any civilians going thru` would be those pilots/engineers already working for aircraft manufacturers,who need an `official` Test Pilot/fte course to progress to `initial/research ` flight testing status....

Genghis the Engineer
1st Nov 2015, 16:24
Most likely sponsored government employees - most companies train in house with more narrow and directed training than a TPS long course.

The school which does take some company or occasionally self funded civilians is NTPS down the road in Mojave.

G

Gerz
1st Nov 2015, 16:54
Back in the day, only non-military were US Government Employees.

There was one in my class, 90B.

Gerz

sphan
30th Nov 2015, 23:39
To piggyback on this discussion, anybody hear of people who only did reserves of air national guard getting to go through the program as a flight test engineer?
I've spent my short engineering career doing non FTE related things, but was thinking one way to get into the business is joining the reserves or ang as one of the allowed groups (13SX or 62EX), then apply when I am allowed. Thanks!