PDA

View Full Version : Should I trust this flight?

Espada III
1st Nov 2015, 11:43
I have a wedding to attend overseas - Israel. The only flight I can take, due to other commitments, is one that leaves at 0700 from Luton, landing two hours before the wedding ceremony starts. If everything goes to plan I should arrive at the venue one hour before.

There are many things that might go wrong once we have landed, including traffic on the way from the airport, long lines at Passport Control, a long wait for luggage (if I take any), the taxi breaking down etc etc. But the big issue is will the flight arrive on time.

So given that a 0700 flight is likely to be the first flight of the day, what is the chance of it leaving and arriving on time? For obvious reasons I need to ignore the possibility of technical delays, weather delays (16th February) and medical emergencies on board.

I think this is far too small a timeslot to give me anything but stress during the journey and I don't want to arrive a) stressed and worse b) late. Not much point in going if I miss the main bit.....

HeartyMeatballs
1st Nov 2015, 13:45
I wouldn't trust any flight that gets me in two hours before a wedding. FlightStats give it a 2.9/5 star rating. My experience of operating them is generally good. LTN is absolute carnage at that time of the day and the TLV does take a while to board and get settled ready to go. So if there's a slot there's a chance of things going wrong if the plane and the passengers cannot make it in time. But like I say I've not had any problems whatsoever. However the eastbounds at that time of year tend to be shorter so any weather delay is likely to be in the return flight however the scheduled block times will take this into account.

The early BA out of LHR seems to have a better track record however the scheduled arrival time is 1hr20 later anyway which won't be any good for you.

Happy flying and do enjoy the wedding. Whatever time you get there ;-)

Alsacienne
1st Nov 2015, 13:49
Truly you need to allow a longer interval between arrival and getting to your celebration. Too many unpredictable factors .... ground transport delay, weather, inflight delay, slow baggage reclaim, and immigration would mean that you would spend all your time recalculating your options (unless you are really super cool!!).

I think the risk would not be worth the candle. Probably a good idea to try to reschedule your other commitments ... is there no 'night' flight for TLV even if you have to get to another European hub first?

Really hope you make it and mazeltov to all concerned.

wiggy
1st Nov 2015, 14:58
is there no 'night' flight for TLV even if you have to get to another European hub first?

BA do a LHR-TLV that (on the current schedule) leaves at 2230 UK local, gets into TLV around 0530 TLV local.

Prices might be a bit eye watering ( especially if booking at short notice..and don't even think of a one-way :eek:), but it's an option.

Espada III
1st Nov 2015, 15:28
Thanks all. The problems regarding alternatives are: -

1. I live in north Manchester and am hosting an event the night before, and will find it difficult to leave home until after 10pm. So cannot get to London for any of the late evening flights.

2. The 23.35 Turkish out of MAN on the evening of the 15th connects nicely but the cost is currently about £700. I love my friends dearly...but not that much.

3. The celebrants have only just announced the date (after much faffing around) so much so that the bride's uncles and aunts booked EZY flights from MAN a few weeks ago hoping that the date would be the one originally mooted but not confirmed. They are paying about £200 return....

Ah well - I will raise a glass and wish them Mazal Tov remotely.

PAXboy
1st Nov 2015, 16:28
Ask them to set up a link via one of the generally available video programmes (we are not menat to mention brand names here) and you wil lknow the usual suspects. Then you can go and see them at a time of mutual agreement and low cost.

Espada III
2nd Nov 2015, 11:17
Yeah - but I can't drink their wine or eat their food if I do it remotely......:}

Mark in CA
2nd Nov 2015, 13:43
What's the worst that can happen, really? You either are late for the ceremony or miss it altogether. But there's still the reception, right? Doubtful you'd miss the whole thing unless the flight is cancelled altogether. Go for it and hope for the best. Good luck.

SeenItAll
3rd Nov 2015, 16:40
Having attended an Israeli wedding a year ago, may I suggest that the last thing you should count on is that it will start on time. If it starts within a half hour or an hour of its scheduled time, that will be quick. And as a prior poster points out, there is always the reception -- which also will not be quickly over.

Espada III
4th Nov 2015, 22:12
If it was an Israeli wedding I would agree. Went to one a few weeks ago. Something like 7.00 for 9.30 were the very approximate timings! In this case though it is a British wedding so timings will be almost Germanic (or Swiss) in promptness.....

Anyway decided not to chance it.