PDA

View Full Version : Spry is dead, long live Spry

Ali Barber
19th Jun 2002, 08:15
Just received my "commemorative" last edition of Air Clues as IFS becomes the Defence Aviation Safety Centre and I was sad to note that Wg Cdr Spry has finally been pensioned off. All the good ones leave in the end.

As a former "Spry" myself, I think it was really useful to have a forum where you could vent your spleen on any subject that took your fancy, with the only interference from higher-ups being to correct the spelling. The degree of independence you had was quite impressive - I once refused to tell the Inspector (one-star) who had written an article and he respected the fact that I was applying the same principles as his CONDOR system .... which was fortunate as I'd written it myself.
I wish the new organisation luck, but I can't help worrying that this may become a soap box for official opinion and that they will follow the party line too closely without the indepence of someone like Spry.

Air Clues, and Spry in particular will be sadly missed. http://www.colute.net/cwm/contrib/geno/licktear.gif

p.s. so will the "Tug" style cartoons from the RN mag.

Reheat On
20th Jun 2002, 17:50
Learning about Wg Cdr Spry was a bit like learning about Father Christmas.

Despite that, I still want to believe in both :)

I was proud to be taught by a QFI who featured in 'I learned about flying from that...'

Indeed, he took me round the same low level route where he learnt, and it proved a very salutorey moment.

Flight Safety is matter of attitude, personal airmanship and professionalism, and I remain unconvinced that an agency will achieve a jot. Out of touch is the danger, and irrelevant may be the result. I guess cross service co ordination will be useful where inter service issues exist and these have generally increased over the years. I shall however become suspicious when a man in red braces cuts the budget for operational reasons...

Roger de Roughly
21st Jun 2002, 08:22
A sad loss to all. I used to look forward to my monthly Air Clues when I was in the mob.

RdR

Deeps Height
21st Jun 2002, 08:40
Obviousy, too early to jump to conclusions, as I'm sure there'll be a full Board of Inquiry. But he didn't join the Cloud Borer's Club did he??? ;)

fobotcso
21st Jun 2002, 08:56
... and again we see change for change's sake by new blood.

Why did either have to go?

Baah!

Scud-U-Like
21st Jun 2002, 09:11
Spry always put me in mind of Pablo Mason, who, I am glad to report, is still very much alive and recently flew me back from my hols in the Canaries!

teeteringhead
21st Jun 2002, 14:37
Hmmmm

Pablo Mason and Flight Safety are not normally things you would find in the same sentence .......

Sorry Pablo, only joking mate. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)