PDA

View Full Version : Am I proficient on FAA applying proficiency on foreign ATPL?

kuroneko
31st Oct 2015, 19:19
Hi All,
I have ATPL issued by CAAS(Singapore) and am current on the license. I also have FAA ATPL but I haven't done any check held by a FAA examiner. Question here is if I can fly N registered A320 under part 91 applying foreign proficiency on type onto FAA ATPL. Any idea?

MarkerInbound
1st Nov 2015, 01:33
Well first of all the FAA does not issue licenses so you don't have a FAA ATPL, only an ATP. With that out of the way, a few questions. Was your FAA certificate issued in the last 12 or 24 months? Is there an A320 type rating on your cert? And are you going to being flying as PIC? The reg that covers PIC proficiency checks is 61.58. The basics are that you must have a PC in a turbojet or two pilot aircraft within the last 12 months and (in your case) in an A320 within the last 24 months. The PC must have been conducted by a person "authorized by the Administrator." While not exactly saying "an authorized instructor" which means the holder of a FAA CFI certificate, it's awful close. The reg goes on to say that a check given under 91K, 121, 125 or 135 counts. Note that it does not say a check given under 129 which covers foreign operators counts.

kuroneko
1st Nov 2015, 22:05
Thanks Markerinbound.
Was your FAA certificate issued in the last 12 or 24 months?
No
Is there an A320 type rating on your cert?
Yes
And are you going to being flying as PIC
Yes

Reading your reply, I assume I need to have a PC before I go.
Sim training schools offer a PC. Assume I get one from one of them.

By the way can it be different story to operate A320 out of US FIR?

MarkerInbound
2nd Nov 2015, 01:10
Yes, most of the sim schools will have a 61.58 PC class. The 142 school I worked for did it as a day of classroom review, day two was 4 hours of classroom and the sim warmup and day three 4 more hours of classroom and the PC.

Yes, the FAA will allow you to fly an N registered aircraft if your license and the country you are flying in are the same. If you have a Singaporean license you are limited to Singaporean airspace, an Australian license allows you to fly in Oz airspace, etc. I don't know how it works with an EASA license.

kimsmith
2nd Nov 2015, 11:37
If the country and license both are from the same demography, FAA will allow you to fly N registered aircraft.

kuroneko
3rd Nov 2015, 15:49
Thanks kimsmith.
Quite a few ppl tell me so but I can't find valid information.
If you know where I can find it please let me know.

kuroneko
3rd Nov 2015, 15:56
Thanks a lot Markerinbound.