Looks exactly the same to me

Average Fool
31st Oct 2015, 16:36
Another improvement.

Things are getting better.

Keep up the pressure!!

Yonosoy Marinero
1st Nov 2015, 01:02
Well at least we know what our profit share will be spent on this year...

...paint.

White None
1st Nov 2015, 01:32
No Probs, we hedge paint stocks.:eek:

Milking a mouse
1st Nov 2015, 01:36
I reckon it's another avgeek using photoshop and applying the new branding to a generic pic. Why would Mad Men use a smoggy picture of HKG as the backdrop? Their remit is to sell dreams, not reality.

Fleet office communications no longer show progress pics of the A350. The paint job must have progressed enough for them to go into secret squirrel mode.

MM

hkgyyzhkg
1st Nov 2015, 03:34
No its real, it was released in Cathay Pacific's official Youtube Channel more than 12 hours ago.

hkgyyzhkg
1st Nov 2015, 03:36
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSsDEscVEAAiG2g.jpg

hkgyyzhkg
1st Nov 2015, 03:42
Hah. I was trying to find the link on Youtube, looks like they have made it private. The link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLskBTrhGek

When I saw it 5 hours ago, they had more than 80 dislikes and bad reviews in the comment section. I wonder how long this paint would last. May be it's a repeat of that first full bed business class.

Milking a mouse
1st Nov 2015, 05:09
I stand corrected!

Though with narration by a balding Englisman sporting a 5 o'clock shadow and wearing an overly-tight black shirt, the mind drifts to iPlagarism (...iconnect, iremote, iJourney). iEmbarrassed

CCA
1st Nov 2015, 05:32
It's getting hammered online.

Perhaps CX you should listen to people who don't blow sunshine up your arse when ever some dimwit manager proposes an idea! Or actually spend some money for once rather than do everything on the cheap.

I can only imagine the CX propaganda department is now erasing all the negative comments associated with the video and filling it with fairies and unicorns so we can all live happily ever after.

Oh the video is back, I'm so glad the brushing was set free :yuk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLskBTrhGek

Not doing will on the score card either, the comments are brutal, I like the one saying CX thinks its up there with Apple marketing an iPhone.

Trafalgar
1st Nov 2015, 05:45
It looks like it's shot in 'sepia'. No colour, no life. Just like the airline as a whole. Hardly surprised are we?

kenfoggo
1st Nov 2015, 08:34
Could it get any blander, cheaper or nastier?

iflylow
1st Nov 2015, 08:53
Maybe the savings from that cheapass, ugly paint scheme will go towards paying their employees a liveable wage in HK?

Whoops, in the daze of my jetlag I momentarily forgot who we work for.

Lowkoon
1st Nov 2015, 10:31
If the brief was to make it bland, and make sure no one notices any real difference, then they nailed it! Love to see how much coin was blown on this exceptional new level of waste. Didn't we just 'freshen' up the brand this year? Couldn't that expensive exercise just have waited until they did this irrelevant makeover?

Trafalgar
1st Nov 2015, 10:53
Simply pointless, embarrassing and irrelevant. Another example of our managements ineptness. The long decline continues.

Plus852
1st Nov 2015, 11:06
What surprises me the most is the fact that no staff engagement was adopted by the airline. No company communication, no staff event, no media involved, no PR efforts. Cheap in every single way.

Trafalgar
1st Nov 2015, 11:19
You are not really surprised are you...? What would we expect when we have a faceless, unaccountable CEO, a Director of FLIGHT OPERATIONS who knows NOTHING about FLIGHT OPERATIONS, a disinterested and deluded Board who are happy to believe the lies told them by their management, and a dispirited, cynical and rebellious aircrew body. Who cares about paint when there is NO reason to take pride in ones career or airline. The new paint scheme, about as well thought out as everything else in this shambles of a company.

Blowback
1st Nov 2015, 11:52
And they paid money for this WHY ?

Hugo Peroni the IV
1st Nov 2015, 12:09
chill everyone, this new design was a kindergarten paint competition prize……wasnt it?

cpdude
1st Nov 2015, 12:36
This new livery represents what CX has become and perfectly identifies the imaginative management style. :ok:

Average Fool
1st Nov 2015, 13:33
What about freighter?

Will those get a second class "refresh"?

Yonosoy Marinero
1st Nov 2015, 13:34
Yup.

Delete the dark green and red cheatlines, move the title up a bit, a splash more green on the tail... Voila! A masterpiece in drabness and insipidity.

It'll be 15 Million dollars please.

Boy, have I chosen the wrong job...
:hmm:

Basil
1st Nov 2015, 14:50
Remarked to a colleague some years ago that, if they put an eye on the brushwing, it would give it a little head.
His reply: "I wish someone would give me a little head!"
Oh, yes, he was an Australian FE so no surprises there. ;)

Soul planet
1st Nov 2015, 15:02
Woah! How many "dislikes" on Youtube already?!
Lets look at some comments (disclaimer and source: youtube)

Adam Hamada -
Quite possibly the worst and blandest livery in Asia. If this livery represents "everything we're about" then clearly it's not much. What has happened to you Cathay? This livery is a disgrace to the Cathay name. Now that's a livery I do NOT look forward to seeing on the A350.

TheAudiR8Fan
this is a disappointing livery for us CX fans and loyalists, and now with the talks of 10 abreast in economy on the 77W, the company is going to loose many loyal customers if it goes down this steep slope. CX was always my first choice to fly if I could, but that position won't last long if this is the new direction the company is going, don't compete with low level north american airlines, it's pathetic, compete with SQ and offer your customers a good experience

Will Miyazaki
Cut the cost of catering, tweaked Marco Polo club status rules, and now this dull livery. Congrats Cathay, you do look like a LCC.

DocDamage2Pro
First of all this livery is not a original design it is a modified version of the Early 2000's livery of PIA (Pakistan International Airline) and secondly it is too plane and very uncreative.

http://www.historyofpia.com/apbgk_livery10.jpg

Hmm... what do you think? Agree to them? :eek:

hkgyyzhkg
1st Nov 2015, 15:36
It really looks like a wet leased aircraft with old CX paint but with new CX brushwing sticker and titles at the front. Its just out of place

cxorcist
1st Nov 2015, 16:44
It looks as though CX has accepted that it is no longer a premium career and has no intentions of trying to compete against the likes of SQ and the ME3. Perhaps the design is intended to look more appealing to the Mainland Chinese whom the Swires are hoping will buy the airline.

Penske
1st Nov 2015, 18:02
Obviously whoever was in previously in charge of fuel hedging was given the job of selecting a new paint scheme.

To make sure his decision was well researched he collaborated with the person in charge of the original herringbone business class seats and of course the clamshell economy seat guy.

betpump5
1st Nov 2015, 21:24
PIA- Pakistan International Airlines !!! Brilliant.

I thought the design looked familiar. I just couldnt put my finger on it.

Brown Nose
1st Nov 2015, 23:26
What's different?

Average Fool
2nd Nov 2015, 01:01
Wonder if these harsh criticisms will make it into the next CX World.

VR-HFX
2nd Nov 2015, 01:36
In the very early 60's green was introduced, and it was a proper British racing green not some paintshop concoction of leftovers that has been used in various shades since the mid 60's.

For my money this was the best of what has been a pretty ordinary portfolio.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cathay-Pacific-Airways/Lockheed-L-188A-Electra/0090460/&sid=0ff74490f590efd61471eb604c76fdbd

azhkman
2nd Nov 2015, 01:49
I think it's closer to Turkmenistan Airlines.

But I do have to wonder why they had to change it at all if it is going to be so similar. Unless they are competing with China Eastern for most boring brand refresh in the history of aviation.

They should have hired the chappies from S7 for a real 're-do'.

hkgyyzhkg
2nd Nov 2015, 02:02
They should have hired people from JAL if they wanted a boring livery. (JAL's tail logo isn't boring, but the airplane overall is. White paint plus title sticker and logo sticker on the tail fin)

oriental flyer
2nd Nov 2015, 02:56
I shudder to think how much they paid for the revamp, But then let's rather waste money on paint than fixing the pain that the staff ain't feeling .
Another brilliant idea .

If they had used their brains and put the logo design out for competition to anyone in HK with a prize of say $5 million there would have been a Ton of serious ideas and I'm sure someone could have come up with a better idea than the one they have decided to use

spannersatcx
2nd Nov 2015, 04:22
for your info, there is no additional paint cost. a/c will be painted during scheduled maintenance as normal and the fleet will be completed in around 5 years time.

Captain Dart
2nd Nov 2015, 05:21
I bet they paid a 'feng shui' man to make sure that it wouldn't bring bad 'ju-ju'.

HIALS
2nd Nov 2015, 05:32
For my two-pennies worth - I quite like it because it is minimalist and clean. (Keeping the aircraft looking 'clean' will be entirely another matter...)

geh065
2nd Nov 2015, 05:51
Will be no harder trying to keep this clean than the current scheme since the fuselages are essentially the same. They seem to manage to keep the Dragonair planes relatively clean (Mostly) and they are even more white.

Samsonite
2nd Nov 2015, 06:37
It does look like Pakistan!! Well so much for being innovators in the industry we do just try and accomplish everything the cheapest way possible.
Funny when I read the financial results in Sept and the directors said they were disappointed with their front end loading I said what!!!! Really,, all flight and cabin crew have been telling you how bad our FOOD quality is and never enough so your full fare pass in Business class don't get their choice. How many times have people complained to me about that while I wait for the toilet!! Oh then the wine where a pax tells me he wouldn't give that to a friend , or the entertainment which feels like a B movie showcase!!! Or how about most long haul will do a la carte service for Business class but with us you have to have breaky at 7 at night because we say so!!!
Time to start innovating again because your bean counters are bleeding this place dry!!! We were known for service and quality which is gone and you are now losing all the front end traffic. We use to fill F and J class first then Y but now our bean counters have created the opposite!!

goathead
2nd Nov 2015, 10:30
This company does not know what the word Innovative means
No bloody clue
Name one thing they have innovated in the last decade
Unfortunately the Swires are most probably inbred and have run out of ideas.They are incapable of innovation.
Time to bring in someone fresh to run this shrinking margins company
Someone non inbred

Yonosoy Marinero
2nd Nov 2015, 14:43
At least it'll blend in perfectly with the polluted skies.

As soon as the wheels are up these things will be as stealthy as a white collar criminal in a Swire board meeting.

twothree
2nd Nov 2015, 15:00
Just paint the tail white and you end up with a ......!!!

Beta Light
2nd Nov 2015, 15:33
Actually Capt. Dart, it was a "Fung Shui master" who told them the red line cut the tail, symbolising the bird bleeding. Bad vudo .... And yes, he charged millions.

Beta Light
2nd Nov 2015, 15:40
Actually Capt. Dart, it was a "Fung Shui master" who told them the red line cut the tail, symbolising the bird bleeding. Bad vudo .... And yes, he charged millions.

LongTimeInCX
2nd Nov 2015, 21:49
Paint it on a Convair and we're good to go.
"Retro Airlines Inc" - bringing you yesterday's technology today.

Avinthenews
3rd Nov 2015, 03:29
I think you mean...

Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow!

VR-HFX
3rd Nov 2015, 10:58
Dan

Lettuce sandwich...be a bit more respectful...the 1011 was affectionately called the Marrow...green and white and firmly rooted to the ground. As to Long Times comment, the 880 and the 1011 were both way ahead of their time and ahead of most of the kit on the ramp these days...including the 748.

Dapper Dan
4th Nov 2015, 17:10
Aren't there more important things to put thought, effort and money toward?