PDA

View Full Version : Other than the Airlines ...

Release
27th Feb 2001, 21:18
The airlines are getting all the attention, regarding sponsorship, and future careers, but what else is out there. What is the average cv of a cargo pilot? I've got 88 hours, and hope eventually to be paid to fly. With an open mind, what should I do next, and is there anything to aim for, that might be easier to achieve that the right hard seat with BA?

Stu Pidkent
28th Feb 2001, 17:53
Good point Release, I know someone who self sponsored up to CPL 200 hrs and landed a Biz Jet job before taking their ATPL exams. Great job if you ask me, different destinations, stopovers, flasy pointy jet etc.

Professor TailSpin
28th Feb 2001, 19:19
Wasn't aware that it was possible to get a job flying biz jets with only a CPL and no ATPL. How did he get this job???

To tidy-up my understanding, can anyone tell me what each licence type allows you to fly?

Delta Wun-Wun
1st Mar 2001, 03:09
Think you can fly an Airliner with a CPL/IR but only in RHS,would need ATPL exams to move to the LHS,and 1500 hrs to unfreeze the ATPL.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

RVR800
1st Mar 2001, 17:44
This 'cargo' thing is a bit of a red herring

e.g.

Boeing 747 Cargo
Boeing 747 Passenger

Licence requirement for Captain and F/O
are the same -Its not easier to get into cargo

Stu Pidkent
1st Mar 2001, 18:54
PS - as far as I'm aware an ATPL is only needed to gain a command - am I missing something ? In any case, he managed to convince them in his interview why he wouldn't be failing his ATPL exams which he would be sitting shortly after the interview.

GT
1st Mar 2001, 19:06
Under JAR, which unfortunately we are, I thought you had to have 'ATPL knowledge' to fly 'multi-crew'. No?

GT

RichT
1st Mar 2001, 19:12
I thought most Biz Jets were on N registration or Danish plates to avoid draconian uk C of A.