PDA

View Full Version : WestJet hates dogs

rotornut
30th Oct 2015, 16:22
On October 29 my friend flew with her miniature poodle on WestJet flight 3405 from YFC to YYZ. The dog was in a carrier under the seat. When she opened the top of the carrier to give the dog some water and his medication the crew objected and she had to put the carrier back under the seat which upset the dog which cried. This was not cool on the part of the crew in spite of the regulations. She told me Air Canada is much better with animals and won't take WestJet again, at least with her dog.

ExXB
30th Oct 2015, 17:43
Very few LCCs allow pets in the cabin, or accept them as cargo.

She should be happy to have a choice.

HeartyMeatballs
31st Oct 2015, 00:39
Really? So your friend was just opening the top the carrier, and just at that time there was a crew member there, who just happened to see what was going on despite it just being just the top open whilst still tucked under a seat? Really? As with all of these stories (it would be a great Daily Mail story) there's always a lot more than meets the eye. Passengers are very economical with the truth and often have a very rose tinted view of their actions post even.

Stanwell
31st Oct 2015, 01:32
"... and his medication.. "
"... which upset the dog which cried."

Do I detect a touch of anthropomorphism here?
Perhaps the Animal Rights League should be notified of the distress caused by that thoughtless cabin-staffer.

I guess the other hundred or so passengers on the flight can be thankful that it wasn't a porcine "emotional support companion" with its own booked seat.
That one hit the news last year when it went beserk in the cabin of a US domestic - even upsetting the first-class passengers.

ClassyLady
31st Oct 2015, 03:09
Thanks for the heads up good to know in case I have to fly with my two kitties.

Left Coaster
31st Oct 2015, 04:55
This is important why? Must be a quiet news day....:rolleyes:

Stanwell
31st Oct 2015, 05:19
Well, apparently, it is most important.

"This was not cool on the part of the crew IN SPITE OF THE REGULATIONS." (My caps).

Terrible! I don't know how that airline stays in business because they adhere to the regulations.

HeartyMeatballs
31st Oct 2015, 10:58
From WestJet

"Pets travelling in the cabin must remain in the kennel and be stored under the seat in front of you at all times. If you remove your pet from its kennel while on board, you may be banned from travelling with your pet in the cabin on future WestJet flight"

Seems the only one not following the regulations was your friend. How about changing the title to "WestJet Crew Follow Regulations on Pets"?

Married a Canadian
21st Nov 2015, 00:14
Want to be sympathetic here, but the flight is only 2 and a half hours...not some long haul flight where the dog is cooped up for ages.
Westjets regulations are clear so there really can be no complaint, and the dog owner should either have given water/medication preflight or not taken the dog in the cabin. Fairly clear choice.

jackieofalltrades
23rd Nov 2015, 02:37
I have to agree with MAC's summation here.
As always, there's more to a story than a Daily Wail style report, but you cannot say WestJet hates dogs. I would says they hate passengers who think they're above the regulations. There's plenty of airlines that don't permit non-service dogs in the cabin in the first place, so the mere fact WestJet allows dogs in a suitably sized carry case in the cabin speaks volumes towards their care.