PDA

View Full Version : Bristow cpl sponsorship scheme

rotorboy
19th Jun 2002, 02:46
Hello,
I am looking for information from anyone who knows about the program where Bristow sends you to Oxford Aviation for your CPL. I heard Scotia has a similar scheme.

Has anyone on this forum been through this(or knows anyone who has). What are the requirments? What makes you an attractive canidate? What kind of contract do you have to sign for services after training? Is it a good deal - upsides/downsides?

I would be interested in any insight. I currently have a ICAO PPL (h) and am a EU citizen.

Thanks

BK

Rotorbike
19th Jun 2002, 04:43
I believe the last Bristow Helicopter cadets were trained for CAA licences at Helicopter Adventures (try them).

A major contract was lost before their training was completed so on graduation they were let go.....

Very soon after they were picked up by Scotia because of that very same contract.

I don't believe Scotia have sponsored anyone from zero time only for instrument and type ratings.

There is currently very little employment or sponsorship being conducted by either of the UK North Sea companies.

Hummingfrog
19th Jun 2002, 09:01
The future for ab initio pilots in the N Sea is very bleak at the moment. As has been said before Scotia are looking at redistributing 25 pilot posts and Bristows are in no better shape. Oil operators are trying to reduce the numbers offshore, bp having recently announced 800 contractor jobs to go. Reduce the numbers offshore and you reduce the number of helicopter flights and hence the number of crews needed. There will always be a downward trend of jobs offshore as new technology reduces the manpower requirements. If I had more than 15 yrs to do in the N Sea I would be worried as I can see the career of an offshore pilot slowly declining and the prospect of a career change in my 40s would not be a pleasant thought. The only bright spot on the horizon is the bp Jigsaw project for offshore based SAR helicopters. This could open up 60 odd pilot posts but is still only in the pre trial stage and is at least 2-3 yrs away. I doubt if either company will sponsor pilots in the near future but things do change very quickly if the oil companies suddenly decide to up there exploration budgets.
Regards
HF

buttline
19th Jun 2002, 11:12
Bristow currently are sponsoring pilots. I know because I'm training with them at the moment. I believe it's an ongoing programme. Obviously it's extremely difficult to get - some existing connection to the company seems to be an important factor for selection, but even with that, the guys I know waited several years to get picked up.

The feedback is that they have an unusually large surplus of eligible pilots on their books right now and I've been informed that the wait would be very long even if I got my own IR sorted out. (Historically, these firms often picked up pilots at CPL level and paid for their IR - a helicopter IR being prohibitively expensive for many - even more so now it's 30hrs of twin time).

I'm now wrestling with whether to plough on and pay for my own IR(H) or continue paying for hours until eligible to instruct with 300hrs plus (although I've always thought it makes more sense to at the end of my career than the beginning).

simfly
19th Jun 2002, 16:17
Bristow are sending another course out to Florida in September, not sure if selection has been done or not though. I was on the recent course (hello buttline!) and the requirement was 5 GCSE's, PPL(A) or (H) and class 1 medical, I was working for Bristow at the time but I beleive the requirments are the same wheter you do or don't. If anyone needs details of contacts etc feel free to email me. I beleive the plan is for a course of 4 every year. It is true that two courses finished a few years ago, and because of a loss of work to Bristow, they were taken by Scotia (CHC) a while later. Another course was then postponed. If succesfull in getting a job after training, there is a 6 year bond to the company, but didn't learn of any large sum of money to be cut off your salery.

soggyboxers
19th Jun 2002, 19:05
I used to be an instructor on the Bristow course in the old days and it was a good deal. They used to pay for everything and then during the subsequent 6 year bond a small amount was deducted from the salary every month. The requirements then were for a PPL(A) or (H), 5GCSEs to include English and Mathematics and no more than 26 years old on commencement of the course. Their training is now being conducted for them by HAI in Florida, where the Principal and several of the instructors are from the old Bristow school in Redhill. George Bedford who is out there was the Principal of the Redhill school for many years so the course is still to the same standard.
The prospects for work after are not brilliant in the North Sea, but if you can get a job there and are then prepared to work overseas there are possibilities to get on and build up some useful experience. Many of the overseas jobs available call for some fairly high experience levels, but that will have to change as many of the pilots now working in countries which most people don't want to visit are in their 50's, so keep plugging away and good luck:cool:

t'aint natural
19th Jun 2002, 21:36
Friend of mine paid for his own commercial at Bristows at Redhill (five or six years ago now) then they gave him a job on the 76; after nine months he was climbing the walls and quit - at cost him £10,000 to break his bond. Now he runs a security company.

BHPS
20th Jun 2002, 17:18
I have heard that Scotia are no longer looking to lose pilots.

MaxNg
20th Jun 2002, 22:35
Buttline and other wanabees (soontabees)

I'ts just my opinion but as bristows are still planning for future pilot recruitment bolds well for those that go the distance.

The fact that the Human Remains dept at Scotia are sending round notices asking for pilots willing to take volantary redundancies, or postings abroard, makes me very suspicious that these notices and rumours are raising there heads at a time when Scotia's very overworked engineering staff are in negotiations for a pay rise, and even more coincidentaly that these notices appear on the month that the pilots get the first installment of thier two year deal :)

Just a thought !!!!

You wouldn't have to be manager of the year to figure out that if you are faced with another (justifiably high) pay claim from your workforce soon after a public flogging from the pilots then maybe sending out a message like "possible Pilot Redundances" prior to the engineers requests would lesson the engineers resolve.

If you think that Scotia is over staffed with pilots then why is there monthly overtime bill larger that Ethiopia's nation dept??

Why are Bristows doing the Night cover for Scotia at premium rates ?

Why are pilots still flying over 750 hrs ?

DOYLIE
21st Jun 2002, 09:40
Having read all the other messages relating to this subject - I now do not know what to think?

I am one of the lucky ones that has been offered full sponsorship from Bristows along with two (I think!!) other people this year. We all leave for Florida in September of this year for ten months training.

As far as I am concerned it is a no lose situation. I get sponsored to train in Florida from one the biggest civilian helicopter operators in the world, then if I pass with a bit of luck they give me a job. Why do most of the messages sound negative even if the job does not materialise (which it will eventually) I get all my training paid for and live in Florida for ten months. I am not sure about everyone else but this does not happen all too often for the rest of my scouse mates. Even if they post me abroad - briiliant - get paid to see some of the world even if it is a bit dodgy - I am only 25 anyway!!!

If anyone out there gets a chance go for the sponsorship, I am not sure how they let me slip through their strict selection procedure - I honestly do not know what go me through. Only advice I can give anyone that is applying is to show plenty of enthusiasm.

I cannot wait to get going!!!!!!

Please send me an e-mail if you fly for Bristows or have been to HAI in Florida or have any other advive or tips for me

Cheers

n2droop
21st Jun 2002, 19:38
Hey MaxNg, I totally agree with what you posted, and one reason not to give either of the two companies on the N.sea "time" when it comes to giving pay raises,will the N.sea guys ever learn???? I saw this coming when the negotiations had finished, you need to get what you can right here and now as things change so quick and the management have time to come up with plans and also wait until the workforce isn't so militant cos they're tired of the whole damn situation...
History repeats itself..
Everyone fly safe.

Bunnion
22nd Jun 2002, 18:07
Doylie,

Count yourself very lucky and go for it 100%. I spent a couple of years working terrible jobs to get the cash to go and train in the US at HAI. Its an excellent school as proven by the fact that so many of the large operators use it and i have no doubt you'll really enjoy it.

As far as the career goes well I am now at it 10 years and while I am pro union and can moan like the best I do occassionally stand back and realise that its the best move I ever made. I work less and get paid twice as much as most of my mates from college. Most of the hardened moaners have never worked at anything else and dont appreciate it. I think things may be on a bit of a downturn at the moment but dont worry its always been that way.... Ups and downs and I have no doubt that it will come again. Might be an idea to get some money together and try to get an FAA CFI while youre there.....that way if you dont get taken on by Bristow right away you might be able to pick up some instructing in the US as an interim untill things pick up back home. I instructed in some dodgy spots in the US had a ball and got some great memories.
Carpe Diem and Enjoy!

DOYLIE
23rd Jun 2002, 12:53
Thanks Bunnion,

Cheers for the advice I appreciate it. It must have been really tough getting the cash together for your commercial helicopter training - you are talking loads of cash. I would have had no chance without the sponsorship.

Are you based in Aberdeen?

Robbie

buttline
25th Jun 2002, 20:15
I'm genuinely pleased for anyone (well done Doylie) who can get a place but, having just forked out myself for my license, I'd really like to know if self-sponsored guys are of no interest to Bristow's these days???

The thing I'm confused about is why the cadet scheme is in full swing when they have a list of 70-100 self-sponsored and qualified CPLs? It's a great scheme. It's good for the industry and especially for younger pilots. However, does it mean that self-sponsored guys need to re-think their approach?

I've been told by Bristows that even a CPL with an IR will currently have an "extremely long wait for interview".

I was under the impression that cost management is a big priority for these firms. Even with tax write-offs and employment bonds, surely self-sponsored pilots come with economic advantages? I understand not every CPLs C.V. on the desk is a suitable candidate but you would think that many out of 70-100 on the list would fit the profile...

SFIM
26th Jun 2002, 22:59
hi there,

i dont really understand the negative tone about the north sea companies based on my own experience.

I paid for my own PPL/CPL and Instructor rating about £40k under the old national system by the time I had got NVQ relief and also a R44/b206 rating as well.

and i messed around instructing with some commercial for 2/3 years and had to pay for everything myself, all renewals medicals etc. and worked at least 6 days a week had no holidays, really struggled with the pay no more than £20k a year for enormous effort.

then I got took on by Scotia, they paid for my AS355 rating, my AS3332L rating and my IR(H) and they pick up the tab for everything and pay me almost twice as much as I was getting before.

I get to fly twins everyday, only work 192 days a year, get to do challeging deck landings and get to practice my ILS's ever other day or so. often finish by lunchtime and get a good social life as well as going home every night, whats not to like!

I dont care if I am naive, they have helped my career a lot, and if they lose me through redundancy, i will go back onshore with a massively better CV than when I joined them.

to all you guys who are trying to get in good luck hope you make it, thinks will all change around and they will recruit again at some point.

to the moderator. what do you think of that ?, do you think my post is to upbeat for this forum or what?

ClearBlueWater
27th Jun 2002, 10:55
SFIM, that's about the most positive thing I've ever heard about the North Sea. From one who aspires to go offshore and has all his eggs in that one basket I thank you.

SFIM
27th Jun 2002, 14:25
hey ClearBlueWater,

glad if it cheers you up a bit, I guess I dont like to hear people winging so much, every once in a while you have to stop and look around and compare it to a regular job, which I did for years and most people would think what we are doing is a dream job.

I am not young and do not have low hours so I am not starstruck, just I like to think a bit more objective.

coming to your point about eggs in one basket, that is not so good as far as the north sea is concerned, you should have
a plan B, you should be thinking about post CPL, if you dont get in i.e. get your 300 hours and do you instructor course, i know it costs another £20k or so, but it might be your best bet to get your career kickstarted if the north sea doesnt happen for you,

where are you exactly in the loop of your new career?

ClearBlueWater
27th Jun 2002, 16:22
My new career has not yet begun... I've got all the CPL exams (UK national) and I start the flying course this weekend. I've taken two weeks off from work (couldn't get more) and I've got my fingers crossed that the weather will be kind enough to allow me to complete the course in that time.

I know I shouldn't have my eggs in one basket but I've got the usual commitments i.e. wife, kid (plus another on the way), mortgage etc. and chucking another 20K at becoming and instructor for meagre returns, or 30K at an instrument rating seems to be less than prudent. I'll keep my fingers crossed in the short term and doubtless plan B will evolve during that period.

One thing's for certain: I've not come this far to give up now.

pprecious
27th Jun 2002, 16:33
Clearbluewater.

Go for it.

Wish I could join you, have my exam study packs etc and no damn time to study!!!!

Good luck, heres hoping that the weather is good for you.

Where you flying from?

ClearBlueWater
27th Jun 2002, 16:45
It took me 8 months of study, pretty much every night after work and most weekends, to get through those exams and you know what - I bet I can't remember half of the study material. Bear in mind I only got the last exam a few months ago! Disappointing if not disconcerting.

Anyway, the sooner you start the studies the sooner you'll finish the exams. There's no short cut. It's just a long slog. On the bright side the studies aren't difficult and most of it is actually quite interesting so it's not that painful (honest). Best of luck to you.

I fly through London Helicopter Centres, Redhill.

SFIM
27th Jun 2002, 16:54
CBW,

i have all the baggage you do houses,wives,kids,cars and it is so hard to study, I had 6 months of pure misery and total commitment to pass those exams.

the annoying thing is that there are no obvious short term gains, and I found that as soon as I got my shiny new CPL + bar, that it went straight in the draw, absolutely nothing happened.

at this point the hard bit really started, i.e getting useful work, but persistence will get you there (eventually)