PDA

View Full Version : Almighty Dollar

Synchronize
25th Oct 2015, 06:02
I see that the cost of operating flights clear of conflict zones has become too much to bear . So in an effort to recoup some of the hedging losses, MH has decreed that we are back to flying over Iran and the Caspian Sea ,neither of which could be considered politically stable

The Management
25th Oct 2015, 06:15
We don't care. It's not our life. We are exempt from prosecution.

Your life is cheap while I sit in my office.

Easy Money

To My Bonus
The Management

controlledrest
25th Oct 2015, 20:55

International Civil Aviation Organization
Organisation
de l’aviation civile internationale
Organización de Aviación Civil Internacional
Международная организация гражданской авиации

Tel.:
+1 514-954-8219 ext. 6710

Ref.:
AN13/4.3.Open-15/75
9 October 2015

Subject: Safety of civil aircraft operating in Baghdad, Damascus and Tehran FIRs
Action required: Communicate to national civil aircraft owners and operators, intending to operate within the Baghdad, Damascus and Tehran FIRs, the need to fully assess the potential for risks to flight safety

Sir/Madam,
I have the honour to address you as the appropriate State Authority of aircraft operator(s)
which may use the airspace of Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, and the Syrian Arab Republic.
2. Taking into consideration the armed conflict that is currently taking place in the Syrian Arab Republic (ICAO State letter AN 13/4.3.Open-13/25 dated 22 March 2013 refers), I draw your attention to the possible existence of serious risks to the safety of international civil flights operating within portions of the Baghdad, Damascus and Tehran flight information regions (FIRs).
3. Information received by ICAO from certain States, and a report originating from an operator, indicate that missile activity, without the normal promulgation of appropriate aeronautical information, may exist within portions of the Tehran FIR. In addition, unsubstantiated reports in the public media would suggest that missile firings originated from the Caspian Sea were directed at targets in the Syrian Arab Republic.
4. It has also come to my attention that some operators took the decision, based on their assessments of the level of risk involved, to use alternate routings during and immediately after the timeframe of the reported missile activity. Should operators elect further use of alternative routings in the future, an increase in the level of traffic on these alternative routings is expected to have some impact on the overall capacity of the system.
5. ICAO continues to actively coordinate with the authorities concerned and other States in the region as regards developments as they unfold, specifically those which could impact flight safety.
6. ICAO will continue to monitor the situation and I will notify you of any significant developments.
Accept, Sir/Madam, the assurances of my highest consideration.
999 Robert-Bourassa Boulevard Tel.: +1 514-954-8219 Email: [email protected] Montréal, Quebec Fax: +1 514-954-6077 Home (http://www.icao.int)
Canada H3C 5H7

Fang Liu

Trafalgar
26th Oct 2015, 01:54
Soooo, Mark. I assume you have received some written guarantee from the rebels still holding that area that they won't shoot any more of us down? Please expand on the assurances and guarantees of safety that must be in your possession. Thank you. I think the HK public need to be made aware of this.

Trafalgar
26th Oct 2015, 01:58
Speaking of the 'almighty dollar', I see Delta just announced a quarterly increase in profits from $325m usd last year to $1.35 billion usd this year (and I emphasis, that is for ONE quarter!). They stated it was due solely to the change in oil prices. Don't doubt that our greedy lot are seeing the same sort of profit increase for the same reason. But of course, they are happy seeing half their aircrew living in near poverty conditions. Disgraceful

A3301FD
26th Oct 2015, 02:15
MH should stop disguising himself as a pilot. The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus (U.S.) have his proper uniform waiting for him...

SweepTheLeg
26th Oct 2015, 03:11
He stopped being a pilot the day he sold himself and his colleagues out to work on the 3rd floor.

Trafalgar
26th Oct 2015, 03:35
Dan, I generally agree with your comment, but in truth many of them come here with, shall we say, a company skewed idea of the reality of living in HK. Many of them have told me some of the briefings they received prior to joining, and to say the company decieved them would be understating things. Ultimately, they need to make a decision on staying or leaving, but the truth of the matter is that CX is happy to have hundreds of crew (and their families) living at a barely subsistence level. It is disgusting and ultimately will lead to the chaos and indifference that is now starting to establish itself as the norm in this operation. Once you have lost the faith and goodwill of your employees, you will probably never get it back. AT and her other managers will reap what they sow.

Algol
26th Oct 2015, 04:04
Thanks for that letter controlledrest. It seems primarily focussed on those routes which enter land areas where these conflicts are raging, however there is no mention of the current navigation warnings about routes over the Caspian Sea, specifically the airway which routes over Baku.
When Russia entered the Syrian conflict at the beginning of this month they launched 26 Cruise Missiles from naval vessels in the Caspian toward Syria. Four of those missiles were reported to have 'gone astray'.
After that incident, and the subsequent warning by ESA and ICAO, many airlines re-routed north of the Caspian (including CX). Airlines such as Lufthansa and Turkish continued operating the regular route.
My understanding is that CX were 'told' to do that by the HKCAD.
This would be backed up by the fact that HKA (who operate a freighter to IST which uses that route) were unable to get overflight clearances to the north of the Caspian and have had to suspend the service as a result. Knowing HKA - they didn't suspend because they're 'worried about safety' but rather because they've been forced to by the CAD policy.
The rumour is that HKA are about to re-start the route. So, has the CAD revised their policy? Is that why CX are now also sending a/c back into the conflict zones?
Airlines are ALWAYS driven by the FIRST priority - which is of course, PROFIT.
That is why Regulatory Authorities exist. To stop the drive for profit over-riding safety. It is the REGULATOR who's first priority is Safety, not the airlines.

Trafalgar
26th Oct 2015, 04:14
Well, they may have 'hundreds' of relatively inexperienced cadets lining up, and can probably coerce them to stay until their bonds expire, but ultimately that results in a demotivated, unsafe and dangerous operation. We are certainly heading for a headline making event in this airline, one that will shake it to it's core, and probably bring on the collapse of both the Swire ownership and the associated lame-duck CAD regulator. Sadly, it will involve the probable loss of life, and at that point, well deserved loss of reputation of the airline that it's taken 70+ years to build. The disgust and contempt I feel for our managers these past 20+ years defies words. The immoral greed and avarice shown by the Swire managers (and their accomplices in Flt Ops) is truly something that will repulse me to my last day. I thought our last DFO was bad...but comparatively, a 'saint' compared to the current waste of space (coffee..?, are you for real woman??!). It will ultimately be up to us to insist on a return to proper pay, benefits, rostering and respect that we are due. It will be interesting to see when the day finally arrives that we have all 'had enough'. I must add however, that I reserve my greatest contempt and anger towards my 'colleagues' who are so self centered and narcissistic that even during this time of crisis and common cause, can turn their backs on their fellow professionals and either undermine CC, and at it's worst, join training. For them, I will ensure that I will do all I can to make every legitimate decision I can be against them in every way possible. I wouldn't p*ss on them if they were on fire. :mad: Cretins, every one of them.

Captn_Kirk
26th Oct 2015, 06:15
Dan, of course it's in their interest to keep us as poor as possible, so none of us will be able to retire before 75.

There. Crew shortage solved.

ACMS
26th Oct 2015, 07:11
"Keep us as poor as possible, so none of us will be able to retire before 75, crew shortage solved??"

Mmmmmm the way most HK guys are working they'll be dead long before 75 anyway.

Shortage not solved.