PDA

View Full Version : Which Scanner?

FLAPSSET
24th Oct 2015, 09:49
Hello everyone,

I'm in need of a scanner that allows me to listen to ATC (Ground/tower) from an airport that is 60km away.

What is the best value for money scanner that would allow me to do this?

Kind regards
Flapsset

kcockayne
24th Oct 2015, 11:30
Don't know that you are going to be able to hear GMC or TWR from 60km away. That's a pretty long distance to be able to pick up ground transmissions from. There are a few variables to take into consideration, such as terrain, the elevation of the transmitting station, your elevation & physical obstructions between you.
I would have thought that you will receive airborne transmissions, but you may very well not be able to receive ATC.
Having said that - any of the scanners (from a reputable manufacturer) advertised in radio user magazines should be ok.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Oct 2015, 11:34
.....and a very high antenna too! Under certain met conditions you may have reception of those ground stations but it would not last for long and would certainly not be reliable.

Airbanda
24th Oct 2015, 15:24
Agree with others. Unless terrain is very much in your favour, for example you are on edge of high ground with your target aerodrome on a plain below, you're going to struggle to hear ground transmissions.

A decent airband specific aerial at max possible elevation will help draw in signals. The downside though is that general purpose scanners are optimised to operate with a small 'rubber duck' aerial and will be overwhelmed (i.e. you'll hear a lot of 'birdie' whistles and out of band signals) if connected to a roof top antenna.

Midland 331
30th Oct 2015, 13:14
I understand that it was possible to pick up Leeming ATC from close by Teesside Airport, a distance of around 20 miles or so, by use of a Signal R532 and a ground plane aerial at around 40 ft agl.

And London Volmet North from Great Dun Fell, some 50-plus miles distant.

The latter transmitter was around 2,500ft agl.

So, even with the best aerial, it all depends on the height of the transmitter, amongst other things.

You may occasionally be in luck with sheer location. On high ground in South Leicester, it was possible to pick up both Daventry (133.7) and Pole Hill (131.05) sector controllers from their respective transmitters (Grantham, and "somewhere else").