PDA

View Full Version : West Jet to stream movies to you

PAXboy
23rd Oct 2015, 03:55
WestJet, a low-cost airline, has said it will launch transatlantic flights out of London's Gatwick Airport next year without entertainment systems fitted on the back of seats.

Instead, they will stream films and TV programmes to travellers' handheld devices using a superfast wireless network system provided by satellites.

Removing in-flight entertainment systems will reportedly take more than 1,500lbs from each plane, allowing them to burn less fuel, ultimately reducing the cost of flying.

Richard Bartrem, vice-president of WestJet, told The Times: "Today, more than 80 per cent of our guests are boarding with a device."Ignore the ridiculous headline. as they are NOT talking of 'axing' films. :rolleyes:
In-flight films could be axed on long-haul journeys in favour of smartphones and tablets | Home News | News | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/in-flight-films-could-be-axed-on-long-haul-journeys-in-favour-of-smartphones-and-tablets-a6704541.html)

MG23
23rd Oct 2015, 06:12
Nothing new. Air Canada Cheapskate (Rouge? Whatever it's called) was doing this a couple of years ago.

Of course, it didn't work on Android, so we were screwed for that transatlantic flight. Lucky I had a bunch of books.

Jarvy
23rd Oct 2015, 09:18
Southwest stream live TV to your devices, works well.

ExXB
23rd Oct 2015, 09:22
More important - I would like to see charging 'solutions' at all seats. If 80% (or more) of pax have their own devices and use them on a Long Haul flight, they need to be recharged.

I can choose my own entertainment, I don't need streaming. But I do need power!

HeartyMeatballs
23rd Oct 2015, 09:47
Yes agreed. Monarch and Southwest have streaming solutions. They're both installing new seats. Neither have power available. The new U2 cabin doesn't, and I don't think the new FR cabin does either. The new BA shorthair and Lufthansa NEK doesnt either. But none of these four have streaming at this time.

If you're going to install something at least do it properly. Especially if you're going to charge to access the streaming services. iPads will only last ten hours tops, probably less when streaming, so power is a must. Even a USB port will work.

In years to come I really think people will choose flights based on connectivity. I won't entertain ANY hotel that doesn't offer free wifi in rooms and public areas no matter how cheap it is. As LCCs enhance their product, and legacies downgrade theirs, when faced with a similar priced ticket, having good connectivity could be a deal breaker for some, particularly the younger set. Or maybe not everyone is addicted to being glued to a device as I am.

5711N0205W
23rd Oct 2015, 11:39
I would choose on the basis of connectivity, not having it.

crewmeal
24th Oct 2015, 06:40
I can choose my own entertainment, I don't need streaming. But I do need power!

That's why I bought a power bank for my ipad. Some good ones available for around £20.