PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions, 1 boring the other I hate to even ask.

Harves
27th Feb 2001, 18:15
First of all, I am considering OATS for my training and have seen a lot of views on various Schools. What are your views on British Aerospace.

The second is embarassing because 9 years ago I got a conviction for drink driving. CAA have no problem, but it will be on my driving licence for another 9 months after I complete the course. Will I stand a chance with the airlines?

autobrakemedium
27th Feb 2001, 18:37
I can't say for the schools but I have a friend who was banned whilst we were training and is now quite happy in the right seat of a Regional Jet in BA colours.

Harves
27th Feb 2001, 18:59
This is what I desperately wanted to hear. This has haunted me for nine years and it feels like it will never let go.

Thanks for taking the time and not branding me a .....

Hot&Heavy
27th Feb 2001, 22:28
9 years ago? I wouldn't worry about it, honestly.

I think the main point is that we've all made mistakes in the past. As long as we learn from them and move on without repeating them, that's what counts.

If you were in a position where you had a distinct pattern of offending and perhaps a problem with alcohol that was apparent from your records, it would be safe to say you wouldn't get a look in.

As long as the slate's been clean since then, there shouldn't be a problem. If somehow you are asked about it at an interview, just be honest. Admit to having made a mistake in your youth and say that you have learnt from it and put it behind you.

Feel any better?

Cheers, H&H

Geordie
28th Feb 2001, 01:31
Harves, first of all, i'm in the same boat and i know exactly how you feel. For the last 5 years i have had knockbacks for so many jobs / opportunities / visas, etc because of 1 very stupid and very much regretted mistake in the past. I agree with H & H, as time passes the greater your chances. However, i have come to realise that it will always count against me - compared to someone without such a problem, but I'm damned if i'm going to let it prevent me from being successful at what i choose to do. Show them you've moved on and want to put it behind you. Onwards and Upwards !

G

Email me if you want to discuss anything

VFE
28th Feb 2001, 02:49
I work in car insurance and was talking to an airline pilot just the other day who had a DR10 a few years ago. He was a rare case, but if on the other hand we are talking pilots and SP30s then....hmmm!

Harves
28th Feb 2001, 13:09
To all of you who have taken the time to reply, I have to say I am a bit choked. I have got used to taking a bit of a slating when I chose to be honest over the years.

In a way I expected even worse from people whose chosen career has so much riding on it.

Thank you to all of you for making me feel a whole lot better about myself and my future.

autobrakemedium
28th Feb 2001, 21:23
Geordie,

Are you sure that you knockbacks are due to the Drink Drive conviction?

I am not being nasty but I have to say that I really wouldn't think that it matters.

Delta Wun-Wun
1st Mar 2001, 02:35
In answer to the first question,visit as many of the training schools you can before you make the final choice.In answer to the second question....Have you learnt anything from it?.....If you have then if or when you are asked at interview...Tell them that you have learned from your mistake.....Now get on with the important job in hand...LEARNING TO FLY!!!!

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Geordie
1st Mar 2001, 03:42
autobrake, I take on board what you're saying, there could be any number of reasons why i didn't fit the bill for whatever job, and by this I mean non-aviation jobs, although I have applied to various sponsorship schemes. The horrible nagging feeling much of the time was that it made thee difference, but of course things are never quite as straight forward as that. The worst bit about it all is how it reduces your self-confidence and how long it takes to get it back. Once you have reached a point where you have put it behind you - you can then get on with life, like i'm doing now, and also by the looks of it so is Harves.
Anyway better go before i fall asleep in front of ........ :) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif :)

Geordie

RVR800
1st Mar 2001, 17:50
Dubbya did just what you did a fews ago
and is now US president - therefore don't concern yourself unduly

- he did turn to the Lord however

Harves
1st Mar 2001, 20:55
You have a good point RVR800. Is anyone else surprised by how many people are in the same boat?

Hot&Heavy
1st Mar 2001, 21:48
Harves,

did you send me an email this afternoon? I tried to reply to your email address, but it was refused by the postmaster on your server.

I'll try again tomorrow.

H&H

Snapper_head
2nd Mar 2001, 15:00
Lets just say a person I know who flys A340s for a certain company in Asia happened upon the same problem as you. He believes that it cost him two years before a promotion. All I am trying to say is that these things happen and keep your chin up. I can see that things are different in our situation but nine years ago is a LONG time.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

------------------
All of us are in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde