PDA

View Full Version : Refugees land on Akrotiri

Mightycrewseven
21st Oct 2015, 08:31
140 migrants land at UK base in Cyprus
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34590635

Oh dear, landing on Sovreign territory - flood gates opening......

Ken Scott
21st Oct 2015, 08:33
Breaking News from the BBC website:

Four boats carrying 140 migrants, including children, have landed at the RAF base at Akrotiri in Cyprus, the Ministry of Defence says.
It is believed to be the first time during the current Mediterranean migrant crisis that people have arrived on UK sovereign territory.
The base, on the south coast, has been used to launch British air strikes against Islamic State fighters in Iraq.
A number of Iraqi Kurds are believed to have landed there in 1998.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
If you want to receive Breaking News alerts via email, or on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App then details on how to do so are available on this help page. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.

This could be a dramatic new development as it will make the UK their first landfall & the first country they claim asylum in. Once news of this gets out it could make the SBAs the most desirable entrance point to the EU.....

Every time I transit through Akrotiri we're told there's not enough accommodation and this is going to fill up the barrack blocks faster than you can say '2 Keos please George'. The Cypriots may not permit the refugees to enter Cyprus so they may even have to be flown out. A very 'interesting' development.

Ken Scott
21st Oct 2015, 08:35
Mightycrewseven just pipped me with his own new thread on this item. Mods - how about combining the 2?

ORAC
21st Oct 2015, 08:52
'We're in limbo': the families marooned at a British military base for 16 years (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/21/refugee-families-marooned-raf-base-cyprus)

.....Yet the Richmond villagers are an exceptional case that is unlikely to be repeated. Before Cyprus joined the EU in 2004, it signed a memorandum of understanding with Britain to take responsibility for any asylum seekers who might enter the SBAs through Cypriot territory.......

Extract from MOU (http://www.landmarkchambers.co.uk/userfiles/documents/resources/Bashir_others_v_Administrator_of_SBAs.pdf)

On 20 February 2003 a Memorandum of Understanding was signed on behalf of the Government of the United Kingdom and the Government of the Republic of Cyprus concerning the implementation of the Protocol on the SBAs in so far as it concerns Illegal migrants and asylum seekers. We rehearse the relevant extracts:

“Noting that the United Kingdom through the Sovereign Base Areas Administration has the responsibility for illegal migrants and asylum seekers that enter the island of Cyprus by the Sovereign Base Areas.

Emphasising the importance of the international obligations of the Governments of the United Kingdom and the Republic of Cyprus with regard to asylum seekers, including the prohibition on indirect refoulement.

Bearing in mind humanitarian considerations, such as those reflected in the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees, and the need for the Republic of Cyprus and the United Kingdom to work together with a view to devising practical ways and means of respecting the rights and satisfying the needs of asylum seekers and illegal migrants in the Sovereign Base Areas.

In light of the fact that the Government of the United Kingdom has committed itself not to develop the Sovereign Base Areas for other than military purposes and, in particular, not to allow new settlement of people in the Sovereign Base Areas other than for temporary purposes.

The Government(s)...have reached the following understanding:

1. For the purpose of this Memorandum of Understanding an asylum seeker is any person seeking international protection relating to the Status of Refugees, or the European Convention on Human Rights, or the United Nations Convention against Torture 1984.

7. The administrative bodies competent for the examination of asylum applications under the Refugee Law of the Republic of Cyprus will be authorised to examine, under the relevant Sovereign Base legislation and on behalf of the Sovereign Base Areas Administration applications of asylum seekers arriving directly in the Sovereign Base Areas. To this effect the Administrator of the Sovereign Base Areas will ensure that the necessary legislation is enacted and in so doing, will reflect, to the extent possible, the laws applicable to asylum seekers in the Republic of Cyprus.

9. Subject to paragraph 13, the Government of the Republic of Cyprus will grant the following benefits to asylum seekers arriving directly in the Sovereign Base Areas:

(a) Free medical care, in case they lack the necessary means

(b) Welfare benefits equivalent to those given to the citizens of the Republic of Cyprus

(c) The right to apply for a work permit in accordance with the relevant laws of the Republic of Cyprus

(d) Access to education

12. The United Kingdom, through the SBAA, will endeavour to resettle persons recognised as refugees or granted any other form of international protection in countries willing to accept those persons, and not later than one year after the decision granting the relevant status has been taken.

13. The United Kingdom will indemnify the Republic of Cyprus for the net costs incurred ...”

NutLoose
21st Oct 2015, 09:08
I should imagine the SWO will be livid with all of those people walking over his "grass"

Al-Berr
21st Oct 2015, 09:14
Apparently the movers have already driven into the boat and it has sunk! :)

Blue Bottle
21st Oct 2015, 09:32
They will be age's waiting for their baggage ! SBA customs will love this ..

romeo bravo
21st Oct 2015, 09:49
When I first read the headline I thought they were talking about the ATC Autumn Camp that started yesterday :E

camelspyyder
21st Oct 2015, 10:26
What an easy way to get IS personnel onto an RAF base!

Linedog
21st Oct 2015, 10:55
Where's the bl@@dy marine craft section when you need them? :)

dkh51250
21st Oct 2015, 10:55
They've done better than most veterans who try to get into the place.

Cazalet33
21st Oct 2015, 11:28
What an easy way to get IS personnel onto an RAF base!

The same thought occurred to me when I saw the story.

If 140 criminal migrants can score what the rounders-players call a "home run" and land on Sovereign British soil, then how easy would it be for a serious opposition to bring in a US-trained force of nutters from Iraq/Syria with serious sabotage kit to land anywhere in Brit territory.

If our "Defence"(sic) forces can't even protect a pissy wee place like Akrotiri from invasion, then what hope has Britain Proper got?

Army Mover
21st Oct 2015, 13:32
Apparently the movers have already driven into the boat and it has sunk! :)

Good to see they are keeping up the standards. :ok:

A mate of mine managed to sink a few when they out-loaded Malta. The joint-services yacht club were not impressed. :E

papajuliet
21st Oct 2015, 14:38
This surely hasn't happened by accident. Akrotiri has been deliberately selected. How many more will now come? What are the implications for the UK now that it has these kind of migrants on it's sovereign soil ?.

goudie
21st Oct 2015, 14:44
Little Arif's has probably set up a Kebab shack in anticipation of more to come!

ORAC
21st Oct 2015, 15:21
What are the implications for the UK now that it has these kind of migrants on it's sovereign soil ?. Not a lot. Firstly, see my post #2 above, they get handed over to the Cypriot government.

Someone elsewhere queried whether, now Cyprus is in the EU, the Dublin agreement takes precedence and the UK counts as the first country of entry.

The answer is, no, the SBAs are only UK sovereign territory for specific purposes (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmselect/cmeuleg/428-iii/428iii16.htm) - and were not incorporated into the EU when Cyprus joined (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:12003T/PRO/03). refugees landing there are no more in EU territory than if they had landed on Ascension Island (And why St Helenans don't get UK residence).

Hence, they would only enter the EU when the crossed the SBA boundary - and Cyprus would be their country of entry.

Nomorefreetime
21st Oct 2015, 15:46
Happened in the late 90's, a boat load came ashore after seeing the Red Cross of TPMH. They stayed in the building on the road on the way out of camp at great expense in overtime to the SBA police who guarded them 24/7. Eventually they were taken to Limassol where the Cypriots took responsibly for them. I remember the Padre asking if we had any spare TV's etc to donate to them

akula
21st Oct 2015, 17:18
I see it has been reported that they were given food and water, PAYD or stale cheese sandwiches??:}

Brian W May
21st Oct 2015, 17:36
Just treat them like visiting aircrew . . . they'll soon depart.

Just a question of time before this happened . . . I wonder if the BBC or Comrade Corbyn gave them a heads up.

cessnapete
21st Oct 2015, 17:58
RAF pilot mate of mine says not a problem. When they see the standard of aircrew accommodation they are put in, they'll soon be on the boat back home.

Cabe LeCutter
22nd Oct 2015, 01:17
Nomorefreetime,

I remember the incident well, the migrants landed at the bottom of the cliff in the only place that you couldn't climb up so we used the mighty Walter to lift them to the top. Had to use the helicopter like a crane or it would have taken all night with the slow winch.:eek: The staish wasn't too happy with the crew as we gave the administrators a lot of work. I nearly cried all night into mt beer:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E:E

Fareastdriver
3rd Nov 2015, 18:58
The natives are restless:

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34715877

Wrathmonk
3rd Nov 2015, 19:12
Too many "http" in the link! Try....

Migrant crisis: Disturbances at UK military base in Cyprus - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34715877)

romeo bravo
4th Nov 2015, 09:00
Let them loose, outside the camp; then Greek Cypriot problem, not ours!!

chopper2004
4th Nov 2015, 15:33
Take it all this is happening way way away from the flightline, :sad:, the ammo dump, :E the officers mess, :ok: the NCO mess:E and families quarters but more importantly where Bono starts up their instruments :mad::mad: for his weather balloon

When was the last time an RAF base had kindly let their doors open :eek: to escaping refugees / locals and all hell broken loose?

I am guessing the cops on camera are not Provost but MoDP that are stifling the crowds?

On a more serious note, take it there are very serious implications in lieu of this bad behavior?

Cheers

ORAC
4th Nov 2015, 15:55
Take it all this is happening way way away from the flightline They were relocated to Dhekelia, separate compound to log term refugees in old MQs.

Rosevidney1
4th Nov 2015, 16:02
Europe is rapidly becoming engulfed by an unprecedented tidal wave of alien immigrants. Our politicians are helpless and clueless. I fear there will be a breakdown in civil order - and sooner rather than later.

MightyGem
4th Nov 2015, 19:10
Anyone else noticed the references in some reports to "RAF Dhekelia"? :ugh:

chopper2004
4th Nov 2015, 19:41
Ah where our AAC UN Flight was based at one time. I asked for an attachment to what I thought was the Flight still there only for my Colonel to say "Ah you want to join the Argentinians?" one drill night at uni in the late noughties.

Then he laughed and went "mmmmm so you still want to join the Argentinian army then" and it twigged that we had no longer had an AAC ft with Gazelles with white bands on and that the Argentinian Army Aviation had the pleasure. Guess my various books on the AAC were a tad outdated :E

Thinking outside the box how many reckon the 'accidental' washed up on shore underneath our noses is truly that considering the poor souls had no way of navigating anywhere?

Cheers

ORAC
4th Nov 2015, 20:02
There are undoubtedly some poor ignorant real refugees embedded; but when they end up dropped off a very small sea frontage, and subsequently have individuals "attempting suicide" at their treatment, complaining of pregnant women being "beaten by the British", chanting "Guantanamo" behind the wire for the cameras (when they can claim asylum in Cyprus and walk out, or be returned 60 miles across the Med*); and pleading for sanctuary in England - it's an obvious PR exercise.

Regretfully it's a hard head, hard lip, hard luck scenario. Thankfully they obviously didn't bank on being moved to Dhekelia and the opportunity to disrupt operations at Akrotiri.

*I noted the child (obviously) crying on camera about not being able to sleep in a freezing tent - when he'd reportedly come from a tented camp in Jordan/Lebanon - less than a 100 miles away - and at a higher altitude.......

Brian W May
5th Nov 2015, 10:17
As always, our (Western) media hype it for all their worth because it makes THEM important.

So where do we go? Sadly it'll be the politicians' bag until the revolution - when you consider in Germany, German citizens have been served eviction notices in favour of 'immigrants'.

In our own society (UK), immigrants have the highest priority for housing . . . that rule was NEVER envisiged for these circumstances. But until politicians grow a pair 'we' are stuck with the invasion - and those invaders are playing the media like a fine fiddle . . .

Heathrow Harry
6th Nov 2015, 16:55
"German citizens have been served eviction notices in favour of 'immigrants'."

Link please - and not the Daily Mail .....................

ORAC
6th Nov 2015, 18:19
Torygraph: Second German woman evicted from her home to make way for refugees (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11902296/Second-German-woman-evicted-from-her-home-to-make-way-for-refugees.html)

A woman in Germany is being evicted from her home of 23 years to make way for asylum-seekers, in the second such case to emerge (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11891631/German-woman-threatened-with-eviction-to-make-way-for-refugees.html).

Gabrielle Keller has been given until the end of the year to leave her flat in the small southern town of Eschbach, near the border with France. The flat belongs to the local municipality, which says it is needed to house refugees. “I think it’s a scandal to throw tenants out of their apartments,” the 56-year-old Ms Keller told SWR television. “I can’t see the sense of it.”.......

Ms Keller’s case follows that of Bettina Halbey, a nurse who is being evicted from her home of 16 years in the town of Nieheim, hundreds of miles to the north (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11891631/German-woman-threatened-with-eviction-to-make-way-for-refugees.html).

Mario Schlafke, the mayor of Eschbach, says the town had no choice but to ask Ms Keller to leave. “The council hasn’t taken a frivolous decision,” he told Welt newspaper. “The alternative would have been to set up beds in the gym.”

The town of just 2,400 people is under pressure to find space for refugees, and Ms Keller’s flat is one of only two owned by the local municipality. It is not social housing and Ms Keller is a rent-paying tenant. A shipping container has already been set up as temporary accommodation on a local football field, while a family of eight are being accommodated in a youth centre. “Our backs are to the wall,” Claudia Geiselbrecht, a local councillor, told Badische Zeitung, a local newspaper.

The municipality says it has offered to help Ms Keller find new accommodation, a claim she denies. She has hired a lawyer and vowed to fight the eviction........

Haart
6th Nov 2015, 18:45
I have yet to read a more succinct description of the present situation than: "...the Middle East is basically moving to Europe after Germany did the national equivalent of advertising a house party on Facebook." Whatever happened to critical thinking in foreign policy? - Spectator Blogs (http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/09/whatever-happened-to-critical-thinking-in-foreign-policy/)

The problem is simply scale. Our past experience was fundamentally different: refugees were few in number (Huguenots), migrants were actively sought (post-war Commonwealth) and asylum seekers were either small in number or their stay was temporary (1/4 million Belgians 1918-19, free passage home). The scale of the current crisis is of wholesale, permanent population transfer (who will return to Somalia, Syria, Afghanistan from Germany??) from countries whose total populations number in the hundreds of millions.

An effective remedy in the medium term is to effect a reasonable settlement in Syria (are dictators more intransigent these days with the spectre of The Hague looming in the retirement?). In the short term, I think the Turks have found themselves in a position of power over the EU.