PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about becoming an Ex-Pat, advice

2jet
20th Oct 2015, 14:34
Hello all,

I'm currently flying for a US airline but I'm considering going ex-pat. I have various reasons for considering jumping ship, but I really just want to know where I should start looking and what kind of overseas job I could get with my current qualifications. I haven't decided for sure if it's something I want to pursue, but I'd like a better idea of where I'd fit in the job market abroad.

10,000+ hrs total time, most of it in multi-crew aircraft.
EMB-120 and CRJ 2/7/9 type rated, loads of PIC time in both.
B-737 type rated, several thousand hrs in type but no PIC.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Gray 14
22nd Oct 2015, 00:32
South East Asia or Africa. Both good adventures. Better have an open mind though, especially coming out of the USA. Completely different ballgame.

I'm 41 years a SEA bum and love it.

Good luck.

6000PIC
22nd Oct 2015, 04:50
You had better inquire with the IRS before you go , apparently no US citizen has total tax free status when working overseas. Not entirely certain , so best get the facts from them directly. Uncle Sam still wants his percentage. This might change the calculus. Good luck , worth the adventure though. Avoid the ME3 if you can.

Flying Mechanic
23rd Oct 2015, 08:24
With 737 time, easily get a f/o job at Korean.
CRJ experience , some pic jobs in China, not bad conditions.
You would also easily qualify for Eva Air, China Airlines in Taiwan( chance to fly A330, 747, 777) .plenty of options for you.
Yep watch out for the tax, I work alongside Americans who pay US tax, on top of local tax.Good luck.

Gray 14
24th Oct 2015, 03:21
About the taxes for expats from the USA, if you are maintaining residence in the US then normal taxation applies. If you are living outside for the better part of the tax year then you can claim "Foreign Earned Income Exclusion" which is now $100,800 for year 2015.

That means you do not pay taxes on that amount but any income above that is taxable.

If the company you are working for is paying taxes for you in the country of your employ, you should get a tax report in your name. This can then be applied to your US tax file that will cover most or all of the earned income over the $100,800 mark. (You cannot be taxed twice for the same income.)

The key is living outside the US for the time period.

Cheers