PDA

View Full Version : Monarch flight turn back

4Greens
19th Oct 2015, 08:49
'Wing of a plane forced to turn back 'hanging off'

A somewhat over the top news item which may well have been a bit of a flap. Literally and metaphorically.

CaptainSandL
19th Oct 2015, 08:57
From ASN:

"Monarch Airlines flight ZB654 from Manchester to Malaga returned to Manchester shortly after take-off. The aircraft "developed a technical fault and in line with standard procedure the Captain requested a priority landing", according to the airline.
The aircraft took off from runway 05L at 08:02 hours local time and climbed to FL220 on a southerly course. A descent was then initiated to FL100 before the flight turned back at 08:19 while in the vicinity of Hereford.
A safe landing was made back on runway 05L at 08:50 hours.
Passengers noted a panel on the underside of the right hand wing hanging loose.
Unconfirmed reports say the cabin crew stated to passengers there was a pressurization issue as well. "

They have a photo as well of the panel from the cabin:

http://twitter.com/TFitzgeraldMEN/status/655689758170095616/photo/1

DaveReidUK
19th Oct 2015, 09:04
Sorry, it's not news unless the passengers were terrified. :O

But of course they were: Brit plane passengers' terror after flight to Malaga turns back with part of WING hanging off - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brit-plane-passengers-terror-after-6655423)

Herod
19th Oct 2015, 13:53
They might have been "terrified", but I bet they all went on the replacement flight. I guess it was operated by the "shell-shocked" captain as well.

Airbubba
19th Oct 2015, 16:00
Unconfirmed reports say the cabin crew stated to passengers there was a pressurization issue as well.

Possible bleed air duct rupture blowing out the wing panel perhaps?

Livesinafield
20th Oct 2015, 10:42
In all fairness the passengers may well have been terrified a part of the plane hanging off cant be pleasant for someone who has no knowledge of what is safe and what is not

No Fly Zone
22nd Oct 2015, 21:54
The world has too many tabloid press outlets, and it appears that the UK leads the pack. Why otherwise sharp, attentive folks read and quote this junk is beyond my understanding...
That said, I am certain that the UK also has some fine, reputable newspapers (likely not owned/operated by Rupert's gang.) Perhaps one of our fine UK cousins can help us separate the junk from the legitimate by sharing the names of a few of the better newspapers and news outlets. What is worth reading and what is not? Thank you, cousins.

llondel
23rd Oct 2015, 18:09
Perhaps one of our fine UK cousins can help us separate the junk from the legitimate by sharing the names of a few of the better newspapers and news outlets. What is worth reading and what is not? Thank you, cousins. List of what's worth reading: ...List of what isn't:
Everything else

Skornogr4phy
23rd Oct 2015, 18:24
Why otherwise sharp, attentive folks read and quote this junk is beyond my understanding...

Because that's what the passengers in my airline leave on the seats for me to read. :E