PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to get a work permit in the Philippines For FI

Piper2897m
17th Oct 2015, 00:50
I have the chance to convert my faa cpl to caap. Recently new rules have been abolished in the Philippines in regards to the conversion. The 200 hour rule was abolished (last time I checked a few months ago) Now to convert you only need to fly for a min of 10 hours and complete two checkrides and of course a bunch of paperwork. The flight school has told me they might be able to train then me hire as a FI afterwards. But before I spend another penny on my aviation career I really would like to know what are the prospects of getting a work permit in the Philippines? And possible Airline/Charter employment in the future. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Im 30 yo,dual national, American/British...I would like to get out of the UK, and really dont want to go back to the U.S....The Philippines is my target,Iv been there 6 times, and lived there for 6 months before. But I dont want to make a mistake either,. Especially a financial mistake

Please only replies from people who know the situation there.

pinoyboy
17th Oct 2015, 03:48
whats the point of getting a caap license ? do you have a job lined up here?
PAL only hires philippines citizens and I havent seen a job offered from cebu
pacific in 2 years...
you will need a letter from a company offering you a job to get a work permit and that costs roughly a thousand dollars (from what my foreign friend who did work at cebu told me)
and I know of many foreigners who are ATP licensed and type rated in the atr and a320 who have applied without luck . I think you hold a cpl and maybe not typed and no prior turbine time

Piper2897m
17th Oct 2015, 16:16
Im abit confused on what to do really, it will cost me about 5,000 pounds to convert my CPL to Caap, the 5,000 includes living expensives

And another 5,000 pounds (about) for the FI rating

Thats a total of 10,000 pounds....I could go to America and get a A320 type rating for about that much. Is that the better route to go down? Then try my luck...cut out all the BS

The flight school has not promised me a FI job, they have just said that they would consider me a FI job when one become available.

Also, can you tell me about LFO positions with Cebu Pacific...

pinoyboy
17th Oct 2015, 23:32
like i mentioned in my previous post, i havent seen a help wanted ad from cebu pac in almost 2 years and again many people with atp and type rated in the a320 have applied there with no luck.

i believe you have a cpl... you didnt clarify in your last post.

why would you come to the philippines and spend 10,000 quid on converting your license to a philippines cpl and FI if you cant find a job as a cpl and maybe you'll have a job offer as a FI ? what school in the philippines ? what is the salary ? is it enough to live on?

wouldnt it be better to go to the usa (you said you had dual citizenship with usa/uk) and get a FI license there ? no work permit or visa hassles. i see many jobs there for FI at 40 to 50 k a year ! build up your time to 1500 hours get a atp license then apply to one of those regional airlines ....get 1000 hours turbine time and then get a a320 type rating !
yes i understand its hell and suffering at a regional in the usa and you would prefer to live in the philippines. you and thousands more think the same.

by the way a a320 type rating with a cpl is worthless and will cost you about $13500 for a type rating in the usa (aerostar lastest price)

dont forget the new cpt course requirement when you go for the atp in the usa . thats about another 5k but if you get hired by a regional they will pay for it.

also im not sure if dole will issue work permits for FI .

Piper2897m
17th Oct 2015, 23:42
Yes, I have CPL I/R M/E Total of about 400 hours.

I will have to confirm about dole issuing or not issuing work permits for FI

This is why am asking many questions now, alot of money at stake, and I dont want to blow it all on something useless.

Yes, the Philippines is beautiful, the girls n all that stuff. But its not 10,000 pounds beautiful.

Guess I have alot of researching to do, you are probably right about going back to the U.S. to advance my aviation. I did all my flying in Florida and loved it. Can you tell me what is the Pilot situation there now? Lots of small Airlines, but alot of pilots too huh. Alot of competition, thought there is a pilot shortage in Asia?

By the way, no way FI aka CFIs in the U.S. Make $40,000 50,000 per year, probably more like $15,000 to $20,000 Per year, tops

pinoyboy
18th Oct 2015, 05:59
i dont know. i see many jobs on climbto350 etc
im not a member of any of those websites (dont want to make them wealthier) so i dont the details. but they advertise 40 to 50k for cfi in usa .
59 dollars a year to join climbto 350 and they have 5000 members thats 300k a year for a simple web site. nice biz. much better than pilot.

there many pilots here with 400 hours who cant find a job in the philippines !

again, go to the usa, get your CFI build up 1500 hours and get on with a regional. fly there a couple years and then get a 320 type .

ALL first officer jobs ive ever seen in asia require 500 hours previous experience on type

try indeed . com

great employment site and free

Piper2897m
18th Oct 2015, 11:18
by the way,Are you a Fillipino?

pinoyboy
18th Oct 2015, 22:23
opo
yes

good luck in your plans

swerte

Piper2897m
18th Oct 2015, 22:33
Would I be right in saying that most Fillipino Pilots dont appreciate western pilots coming to the Philippines to try and move in on their pilot opportunities ? Thats my guess.

Black Crow
25th Oct 2015, 15:52
Don't waste your time or money with getting a useless CAAP license. Other countries won't accept it and it will blackball your resume.

The Filipinos will be all too happy to take your money and give you a work permit, and of course all the additional charges that go with it. Being an American/British you will be looked down upon "taking" one of "their" jobs.

An FAA certificate is accepted anywhere in the world, the standards are much higher.

pinoyboy
26th Oct 2015, 01:57
What pilot opportunities ?
I just sent an email to PAL and Cebu.

The woman at Pal answered me in 5 minutes saying they are not hiring FO
and Cebu answered after an hour stating same thing.

There are some jobs for FO in Asia but again they all want at least 500 hours previous experience on type.

If you want I can pass you the email recruitment info of cebu and pal.

I welcome you here. Please come. Spend your money on taxis , hotels , food, visas, papers, licenses, airport fees etc etc

It will help the economy

Droste
27th Oct 2015, 03:38
ALL first officer jobs ive ever seen in asia require 500 hours previous experience on type
Quite true. It applies to all foreigners.

All FO jobs (especially to foreign applicants) in Asia requires minimum 500 hours on type.

Philippines and like many countries, the piloting jobs are reserved for their own people.

Would I be right in saying that most Fillipino Pilots dont appreciate western pilots coming to the Philippines to try and move in on their pilot opportunities ? Thats my guess.

Don't waste your time or money with getting a useless CAAP license. Other countries won't accept it and it will blackball your resume.

The Filipinos will be all too happy to take your money and give you a work permit, and of course all the additional charges that go with it. Being an American/British you will be looked down upon "taking" one of "their" jobs.
Very true!

Many countries are just like that. Foreign pilots are unwelcome.

There are only a few countries in Asia accept foreign pilots (except for D.E.C position ONLY). FO positions are mostly reserved for their own people.

covertwar
2nd Nov 2015, 08:54
By the way, no way FI aka CFIs in the U.S. Make $40,000 50,000 per year, probably more like $15,000 to $20,000 Per year, tops

If you work for one of the academies in AZ or FL that crank out Chinese students, you could make this amount or more and get your 1,500 hours in a year flat. Once you get to 1,500 hours the regionals will hire you as long as you don't have any felonies or DUIs.

You can use your non-rev benefits to fly to the Philippines every month, or anywhere else in the world for almost free, once you get hired by the regional. Sounds like you haven't done your homework or research.