PDA

View Full Version : GMO's Response to ACARS Roster Changes

Bo Wing
16th Oct 2015, 06:03
So, let me see if I've got this right, the AOA writes to the DFO about roster changes being sent to the crew via ACARS and the inherent threat to flight safety, she has no idea, so passes the buck to the GMO who then takes five months to respond to the AOA letter!

He discusses system changes that are happening to preserve the integrity of the ACARS system but not once does he address the real threat of a crew member possibly being so pissed off at their roster change, that they fail to pay attention to the task at hand (he thus completely misses the sentiment of the letter) and finally, he couldn't be more dismissive if he tried, essentially saying, if you don't like it, take us to court and besides the HKCAD will not listen anyway!

Any doubt who's side he's really on? For all of you who said we should read between the lines from his NTC about flight crew boarding the HAS bus and that he's really not such a bad bloke, have a good read of this letter because their is no need to read between the lines, the GMO is blunt and to the point!

Finally, I have to reiterate what others are asking, where is the regulatory body in all of this? When is the HKCAD going to finally do their job and wade in and address the myriad of issues that are threatening flight safety?

The GMO quite arrogantly states in his final paragraph, "The final paragraph is ridiculous in stating that this is potentially dangerous. If I thought it was in anyway dangerous I would not be waiting for a letter from the AOA or any crew member it would be stopped immediately." Who made him the sole arbiter of flight safety in this airline and if he is, where are the checks and balances within the system? Does he really think that the AOA would have written such a letter to the DFO, if as a collective group of pilots, we didn't think there was some threat to flighty safety? I have personally witnessed a pilot a few years back, "lose it" because he was going to be integrated when we landed in HKG, thus missing his 10 year wedding anniversary and all their associated celebratory plans. His mind was definitely not 100% focused on the task at hand for the rest of the flight!

We should all be very concerned if flight safety rests with only one individual in this airline, whether it be perceived or real.

asianeagle
16th Oct 2015, 06:14
With his ill considered responses on the likes of yammer et all, it would seem the GMO is somewhat under pressure.

Everyone sang his praises some time ago, I'm beginning to think that was a mistake too.

Like they say, people only get promoted to the point of incompetence, then no further!

incredible hong kong
16th Oct 2015, 07:16
You guys dont get it. He aint on your side. Why would he be on your side? She the Boss of you , you and you too. Wake up guys. You are no more than just the regular bus drivers

Blowback
16th Oct 2015, 14:10
It will be interesting to see who puts up their hands for the vacancies in the Airbus and Boeing offices

betpump5
16th Oct 2015, 18:19
What vacancies are there in the Boeing office?

Flap10
16th Oct 2015, 22:42
It'll be interesting to see who the clowns are that go into managment in the current industrial climate. Anyone that chooses to go into managment now is choosing to screw over their friends and colleagues.

There is no ideal climate to join when you sell your soul to the devil. The very nature of the position is to screw the front-line staff in any climate.

geh065
16th Oct 2015, 23:43
What vacancies are there in the Boeing office?

There is a DCP job open since the creation of the "CP Training" position.

Arfur Dent
17th Oct 2015, 06:52
Why should taking a Management position be synonymous with 'screwing over your colleagues'???
I know that is the case now but can't somebody with some semblance of 'Leadership Qualities' change that culture and reform us all back into a 'team'???
What a bloody waste........:mad:

betpump5
17th Oct 2015, 10:12
. There is a DCP job open since the creation of the "CP Training" position

Ah OK. Any other potential vacancy.....

crwkunt roll
17th Oct 2015, 10:52
I think he's safe!

betpump5
17th Oct 2015, 11:11
Incredible

iflylow
17th Oct 2015, 11:13
Do you need to report to the CAD any instances of going insane? I swore there was something in the news a while ago about pilots with mental issues

betpump5
17th Oct 2015, 11:21
pilots with mental issues

Like those working G days and/or going into training? My thoughts exactly.

Hence my little black book of names. Not because I can deny them a JS, its so that I don't let me or my family fly when they are at the controls. Mental issues can have very catastrophic effects. As we. Saw early this year....

McNugget
18th Oct 2015, 07:41
So, Betpump, you're suggesting that working a G is somewhat mentally equivalent to piling an airliner into an Alp?

Right. Obviously you're not the one with issues.

betpump5
18th Oct 2015, 07:47
Yes Mcdoughnut.

In an environment where our managers are intent on screwing us royally, someone who works a G day or goes into training obviously has mental issues. As to how those mental issues manifest itself, well I'm not sure as I ain't a Doctor. But I sure as hell don't want to find out.

McNugget
18th Oct 2015, 07:56
Right.

I don't need an education in the pitfalls of G day working in the current climate; but I don't think you need to be a neurosurgeon to separate that selfish industrial act to putting an airliner into a hill.

Steve the Pirate
18th Oct 2015, 11:45
Like those working G days and/or going into training? My thoughts exactly.

Hence my little black book of names. Not because I can deny them a JS, its so that I don't let me or my family fly when they are at the controls. Mental issues can have very catastrophic effects. As we. Saw early this year....

Forgive me for asking but how do you monitor the names of the crew who are actually flying the aircraft when your family is on board given the numerous roster changes that are currently taking place? Also, how do you monitor the behaviour of the crew who operate the flight when you yourself are not on board?

There is a range of mental conditions that affect some of the population from time to time: paranoia is one of them and another is obsessive thinking.

STP

twothree
18th Oct 2015, 23:56
EASA has just proved that ACARS can be hacked!

Glass Half Empty
25th Oct 2015, 11:13
"Authenticate, authenticate"

BusyB
25th Oct 2015, 12:37
In UK National newspapers last week:ok:

Hellenic aviator
25th Oct 2015, 12:50
Not necessarily true. The crew list does not show whether the crew member has swapped a trip, picked up a proffer or accepted a request from crew control.

Steve the Pirate
25th Oct 2015, 22:50
I know that, however, the question was;

'how do you monitor the names of the crew who are actually flying the aircraft'

Crew list will show you that.

Perhaps not in the case of an unexpected event, such as Friday's bridge closure.

STP

Steve the Pirate
26th Oct 2015, 10:58
fair enough,
amended to read:

Crew list will show you that*

*except for Friday's bridge closure.

:cool:

Or any number of unexpected events such as late sickness or delayed arrival of a flight that was meant to be integrated or type change or anything else that makes CC change crew at dispatch. Apart from any or all of the above, you're right, the crew list will show you that. :E

STP