PDA

View Full Version : Cessna T210 deadsticks on highway in Idaho

evansb
14th Oct 2015, 17:16
Engine inoperative, landing gear up and no lights:

Small plane lands on I-84 after engine failure (http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2015/10/13/plane-interstate-lands/73858946/)

Geosync
19th Oct 2015, 18:34
Fuel starvation. Not the first, and won't be the last. He better thank his lucky stars he didn't kill himself or drivers on the road.

No Fly Zone
23rd Oct 2015, 04:41
As one above noted, 'not the first and won't be the last...'
I did visit the video link, but I could watch no more than half. Far too much DRAMA! This may be the biggest story in Boise for the week, but get a grip! As long as pilots remain human, errors like this will happen. Interstate or rural highway landings remain common and even the dead-stick landings rarely hurt anyone. Why? If the pilot has some flap control, the approach is seen by traffic that he has passed and he can usually slow to under Interstate speeds before touching down, allowing most ahead traffic to continue and clear a space for the landing. Frankly, if that was the ONLY alternative to landing in a field of big, bumpy and sharp rocks, I'm sure that most would do so. As I understand the stats, most small aircraft landings on freeways are no-injury, walk-away events. The pilot may P.O. the vehicle drivers, the highway patrol and the FAA, but it is still a walk-away event.
And again, the TV drama is simply disgusting! At one point, the Talking Head did not seem to know the difference between a fixed-wing aircraft and a fling-wing. They are 'news' reporters? Gawd help us all!:ugh::{