PDA

View Full Version : EK FO A380

ditchfail
14th Oct 2015, 04:34
Hello just wanted to know how the things are for FOs operating this aircraft.

I assume that almost all the flights are ULRs so how its set up the operation how long in the cockpit before you switch with other pilot?

Do FOs take off or land regularly?

I've read here the A380 would be the best fleet at EK.

Thanks in advance for all the info.

Plastic787
14th Oct 2015, 08:00
Being the best fleet at EK is like being the best form of execution.

Merovingio
14th Oct 2015, 10:30
give your reasons... do not comment just for nothing...

White Knight
14th Oct 2015, 11:30
The majority of flights are NOT ULR. Lots of UK, Europe and Asia.

Most 380 FOs have plenty of days off. Some of the guys I've flown with recently having two blocks of five days off in a month.

The 380 fleet is certainly the one to be on here at EK... The classic Bus and T7 pilots are noticeably more fatigued...

Hope that is a reasonable answer!

White Knight
14th Oct 2015, 11:31
And yes. We share sectors so the FO will do one of the two legs. Unless you annoy the boss of course!

Merovingio
14th Oct 2015, 12:45
Thanks!!! I will try in January to join Emirates....

BigGeordie
14th Oct 2015, 13:16
Do remember that, unless you are 380 rated (and possibly even then) you will not know which fleet you will be on until you get here. People have joined expecting to fly the 777 and ended up with the unenviable lifestyle on the 330. A lot of Airbus experience may well get you a place on the 380 but equally the 330 needs pilots as well, even though it is being slowly phased out.

By the time you start a course here you have already resigned from your previous company and often have nowhere else to go. The company know this.

ditchfail
14th Oct 2015, 14:13
Thanks very much for all the aswers its true you cannot be sure wich fleet are you going to.

But looks pretty good to haver two blocks of five days in one month.

sluggums
14th Oct 2015, 14:44
.... and of course, bring Emirates, it's sure to continue...

BigGeordie
14th Oct 2015, 14:53
I wouldn't count on having two blocks of five days off on a regular basis. Maybe in your top bid month (one month out of five)-blocks of 4 days are pretty common on the A380 but in 3 years on that fleet I have never had two blocks of five.

On the other two fleets it will simply never happen.

BigGeordie
14th Oct 2015, 14:55
As Sluggums said, the past is no guarantee of future performance.

BobDole
14th Oct 2015, 15:44
Yesterday is always better than today, and today is always better than tomorrow at this place.... :ugh:

Keep discovering!

helen-damnation
14th Oct 2015, 18:47
ditchfail

With the old bidding system it was possible, if you understood the system, to bid in such a way as to "possibly" get 2 blocks of 5 days off.

We now have a new system which is more limiting in terms of choice of bid and we had this specific info recently - "Please be aware when bidding that you are unlikely to be awarded two blocks of 5 days off even from one month into the next.

FYI

ditchfail
15th Oct 2015, 03:12
Thanks Helen good to know.

There are places were you are only entitled of only 3 consecutive days off, so 5 still sounds good to me.

lospilotos
15th Oct 2015, 03:41
ditchfail

With the old bidding system it was possible, if you understood the system, to bid in such a way as to "possibly" get 2 blocks of 5 days off.

We now have a new system which is more limiting in terms of choice of bid and we had this specific info recently - "Please be aware when bidding that you are unlikely to be awarded two blocks of 5 days off even from one month into the next.

FYI

I interpreted that as not likely to get two consecutive blocks of five days off. Communication is clear as mud as usual...

shorty2rj
15th Oct 2015, 03:51
Two blocks of 5 days off is highly notable? Man I feel for you blokes.

sluggums
15th Oct 2015, 08:00
I love the way ditchfail down sells his expectations when presented with a less favourable situation.

The management are gonna love you fella, 'cos they know you'll always redraw your line in the sand, which by the way, will ALWAYS be in their favour. Come on in, I'm so looking forward to the day when the realisation of what you've sold your soul for comes crashing down on you and you get that bewildered 'what-just-happened?' Look on your face.

No wonder this industry is going down the toilet in respect of workers T's & C's. And before anyone asks me what I've done in this respect, I've gone toe to toe with more than one mis-manager in EK...

helen-damnation
16th Oct 2015, 11:42
There are places were you are only entitled of only 3 consecutive days off, so 5 still sounds good to me.

You should be aware that with the new system none of us know if we'll get 5 days off any month!

ditchfail
16th Oct 2015, 21:32
Thanks Helen got the idea.

Also thanks Slug