PDA

View Full Version : China cabin crew 'industry ritual'

Dimitri Cherchenko
13th Oct 2015, 11:57
Photos of female cabin crew lying in the overhead luggage compartments on board a Chinese airline have gone viral on social media.

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/6386/production/_86087452_3.jpg

China cabin crew 'industry ritual' sparks online outrage - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-34513115)

appleACE
13th Oct 2015, 15:18
Obvious it depends upon the circumstances, but simply getting into the overhead lockers doesn't look to bad. I've done stranger things as part of initiation type things which were all in good fun.

If they really don't want to do it then they shouldn't be forced to, but there's no need to ban all camaraderie building hi jinks.

Not sure how good it is for the bins though...

vctenderness
13th Oct 2015, 16:57
In the 1970's in BOAC there was a legendary steward called Tommy Colegate and this was one of his party tricks. The hat racks in those days were open and he would get in and greet the passengers as they passed down the aisle.

It was unbelievable how many people just responded with good morning/afternoon as if it was perfectly normal:eek:

Bueno Hombre
14th Oct 2015, 11:18
Those were the happy days of flying. I remember, many years ago Stewrardess Shaugnassy in a BMA Viscount "hat rack". She took it so well. Flying still had some fun in it for all of us in those days.
It didn't affect safety or anything else that might be visible to or affect the travelling public.
I do hope all airlines will see this kind of thing only as a bit of fun and in no way detrimental to their business, in fact might be good publicity. In an emergency we travelling public might prefer to have a crew that is a bit human.

ehwatezedoing
14th Oct 2015, 15:04
If the person doesn't agree, there might be a very thin line between "ritual" and bullying.

Fareastdriver
23rd Oct 2015, 19:51
I was doing my Chinese medical in the CAAC hospital in Guangzhou. There were a bunch of 'wannabe' stewardesses doing their initial medical. One of the girls was heartbroken; her blood pressure was too low, 75 or thereabouts. My suggestion that I take her into a darkened room for twenty minutes was not, unfortunately, taken up.