PDA

View Full Version : CATCH22

bruce88
28th Jul 2001, 02:49
hello all,
Sorry about this I'm sure this topic has been discussed numerous times but I 'm new here so humour me.
I'm 32,have a PPL (65hrs), bored rigid in my job and so I've decided to do what I should have done years ago and attempt to do a frozen ATPL ( modular).
Now supposing I am able to get the qualification at the end next year, I'll have less than 300hrs and little experience.
From what I can make out, the chances of getting a job will be slim, 1000hrs + being the norm.
To build up my hours, I can only think of instructing, which to be honest, does not really appeal. (it doesn't make me a bad person).
Am I missing something or are there other options available.
Are there many openings for glider towing or flying for parachute clubs.
Am I waisting my time writing to the large/ small airlines, or should I spend the extra cash (which I don't have) on an approved school like Oxford.
Any views would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jim
:D

donkoid
28th Jul 2001, 04:05
Jim88

It's good to see another 'oldie' starting up. As you're in a similar position to me (albeit a little nearer the start), and with no responses to me queries yet, I feel that perhapa karma will reward me for helping you!!!

Bascially, avaition is a real can of worms and like you an probably many people out there, you start asking yourself alsorts of questions.

However, I beleive the key to success is mainly thing - motivation.

If you're swtiched on, capable and determined to push things through, NO MATTER what the hurdle is and you want it bad enough, for the right reasons, you'll make it happen.

But, I won't kid, you, it seems that to succeed in avaition you will need to be very commited, being prepared to live like a pauper (or even a debtor!) for several years while you build up the necessary hours. Question is, having a comfortable life style, could you handle that?

Do you really want to be a pilot? if so why? If it's just the money and some glamourous image (as was the reason for one guy I met recently) you may not have the staing power.

The good news is that from my research, while the nippers have time on theri side, we oldie have maturity, which gives us a head start with some areas I believe (e.g. regional airlines and possibly flight instruction). But direct entry into an international airline at our age, is perhasp something not to aspire to.

Having said that, most people who get an internationl airline job have don their time in a regional first and also with the very positive long term demand for pilots, I believe it is easier to get in (one flying school quoted it wasn't inconceivable to get into an airline after training and only 300 hours, so who knows???).

The caveat to that, at least in teh UK and in the short term, is teh effect of the oncoming recession, which will come and which will hit the airline industry, at least temporarily in the short term.

That point leaves me thinking whether now is the best time to be spending 40k on avition training. But then at 33, maybe the time is now. Gets back to my point about aviation.

After 7 months of research, my advice would be:

1. research it like you life depends on it, adn nver cough up any cash until you are 150% in the know as to what you are doing.

2. Be aware that new European (JAA) regulations are taking place making the whole pilot training thing even more complicated - be aware of foreign schools offering places which are CAA/JAA compliant. Foreign instrument rating now receive no exemption at all under new JAA/CAA regulations.
3. Do a GAPAN/RAF aptitude test (£150) and CASA class 1 medical (£400) before you go any further.
4. Research all UK schools, advertised in pilot magazine, and schools abroad (beware of certain US schools, including Ormond beach avaition).
5. When costing overseas training allow between 10-15k for conversion/UK IR.
6. most importantly - ask yourself WHY ME? If you can say from teh heart, it's right for you and you're committed for teh pain - go for it!!!

If you want any more advice, feel free to e-mail me on:

[email protected]

All the above, is my view based on my reaseach. However, if anyone else has any comments, good or otherwise, please feel free...