PDA

View Full Version : Bird Shoot - next to Runway

davidjpowell
8th Oct 2015, 14:52
Walking pooch in the field adjacent our local airport Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood (no identity crisis there then...) I was recently accosted by the local game keeper for disturbing his pheasants.

Apparently the local shoot use the field, and adjacent woods to well shoot the birds.

I was a little surprised given there is an airport next door with big whirly things that break should said bird enter it, that they would encourage them to be there at all. Maybe the airport has no control?

Is this as bad an idea as it sounds or a big deal about nothing?

Musket90
9th Oct 2015, 20:26
Airports are well aware of bird activities nearby that may pose a safety risk to aircraft and
take appropriate measures to ensure the risk is controlled. These measures can include local arrangements with the organisers of the sort of activities you mention.

Peter-RB
12th Oct 2015, 05:17
If the Airport dose not own the land, it will have no control on what happens on it, plus Pheasent's don't fly high enough to be a danger to A/c, plus they like undergrowth and hedgerows not big open noisy space like you would find on a typical commercial A/F.

Caboclo
12th Oct 2015, 06:01
I used to fly into Cody, Wyoming, USA on a daily basis. They had a bit of a seagull problem there, despite being 1000 miles from the nearest sea. Anyway, the airport manager was known to wander around the ramp blazing away with a shotgun, with aircraft in the pattern!

Above The Clouds
12th Oct 2015, 08:16
davidjpowell
Walking pooch in the field adjacent our local airport Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood (no identity crisis there then...) I was recently accosted by the local game keeper for disturbing his pheasants.

So you where trespassing on said field and quite rightly told to move on, now you have some kind of grievance with the local shoot and bring aircraft safety in to the argument :=

chevvron
13th Oct 2015, 07:17
There's a clay pigeon range on what used to be part of the airfield at Booker/Wycombe Air Park.

davidjpowell
16th Oct 2015, 15:57
It's a field with a good view of the airport and no signage. Not really a huge sin. I think (but am not certain) that Peel (who own a share of the airport) bought this land a few years ago.

I was just a little surprised to see birds being encouraged adjacent to the airport.