PDA

View Full Version : Airbus Plans Stacked Seating For Passengers

PAXboy
6th Oct 2015, 18:09
This one's a cracker ... :hmm:

But, as is often the case, it is only a Patent and may never get bought by the carriers:
Airbus, the plane manufacturer, has patented a mezzanine seating design that piles passengers on top of one another. In this design, passengers are able to recline into a lying position, but the seats are also stacked on top of one another, so that another set of passengers can fit just a few feet above the first.Economy class is about to get a lot worse | Business News | News | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/economy-class-is-about-to-get-a-lot-worse-a6683211.html)

ExXB
6th Oct 2015, 19:15
I seriously doubt they are 'certifiable". There is no way that an evacuation could be performed safely with that configuration.

I also doubt such seats could meet the 16g requirements.

Let's patent every possible idea, and if someone can figure out how it can actually work, we'll sue them for millions. ....

Patent trolls.

Planet Basher
6th Oct 2015, 20:47
Can you imaging the consequences of one of the top deck Magaluf set missing their sick bag. Just off to patent Tazers for cabin crew idea.

MATELO
8th Oct 2015, 10:48
Fig 8 looks a bit snug.

Airbus Plans Stacked Seating For Passengers (http://news.sky.com/story/1565901/airbus-plans-stacked-seating-for-passengers)

RexBanner
8th Oct 2015, 11:09
If this ever, ahem, takes off I'm never travelling as a passenger again.

DirtyProp
8th Oct 2015, 11:20
Gonna travel as a Flight Attendant, then...? :E

G-CPTN
8th Oct 2015, 11:20
So, is the restriction on passenger numbers due to space, weight, or evacuation regulations?

If the proposed arrangement is adopted, would we see shorter fuselages?

There are serious plans in the UK to introduce 'commuter trains' with fewer seats and hanging straps (similar to London Underground trains) to facilitate faster loading and unloading.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/only-two-in-five-passengers-will-get-seats-on-new-commuter-train-9805683.html

Stanwell
8th Oct 2015, 11:39
They tried the stacked seating idea on trains in the States, 50 or so years ago.
It wasn't terribly well accepted by the travelling public, as I recall.

MarcK
8th Oct 2015, 18:33
The designers say the layout would be more suited for use in business class.:}

Exnomad
8th Oct 2015, 19:03
Seeing size of some of my fellow passengere, I would certainly not want one of those arranged above me.

beardy
8th Oct 2015, 19:55
They have filed a patent to stop somebody else cashing in. This does not mean that they plan to impose something that is down to the operator to choose but if the operator does choose, then Airbus may get royalties.

It's like having a daft idea before anybody else, then realising somebody might actually do it.

Skyjob
8th Oct 2015, 20:04
Maybe not the stacking but the layered design has actually got some benefits...

Lower floor with center barrier, effectively the footpath of upper floor.
One would need sufficient fuselage width to be feasible as minimum height restrictions would be required and also loose belly space. But in the area of hand-luggage travel being promoted by airlines that may not be such a bad idea :)

HPIC
8th Oct 2015, 20:19
Yea, let's implement this. We can double the pax loads. Almost 400 pax in an A321/B737-900. About 1,000 pax in a 747/A380.

I'm sure takeoff and landing weight issues will never be a problem…...

I'm also sure that 90 second evacuations won't be a problem….

Governments wouldn't let this happen.

fc101
8th Oct 2015, 20:29
This is a patent which covered particular elements of the cabin and seating design etc. It is NOT plans for the R***air A380 (sorry mods, you know what I mean).

Has anyone read the claims of the patent before reacting to the usual tabloid press reactions?

c101

RealUlli
8th Oct 2015, 20:30
I'm not sure I would mind all that much about such an arrangement.

I'm rather tall and also somewhat wide. From the drawings there, the seat pitch and the seat width seem to be quite a bit bigger than what I'm used to from economy flights. My knees will be glad. ;-)

Also, there seem to be dividers between the rows, meaning there will be nobody to lower their seat back into my dinner tray.

West Coast
8th Oct 2015, 21:36
The guy seated above me better not have smelly feet.

wheels_down
8th Oct 2015, 22:07
Michael O'Leary from Ryanair bated the media with "Coin Operated" Toilets in his aircraft, it made worldwide news, it even made the 6pm Sydney news down here in Australia. Cost him nothing and he got worldwide attention, we all knew it was never going to happen, but the media bought it.

Now its Airbus' turn.

Media are fools.

_Phoenix
8th Oct 2015, 22:50
Good luck with this:
9oItpmkBT2Y

llondel
9th Oct 2015, 16:38
Better still, you could have interchangeable modules. Pax are assembled into their modules at the gate, then you open the aircraft like a freighter and load the modules one by one. Similar at the other end, unload the modules, let the pax off.

It would simplify maintenance too.

EEngr
15th Oct 2015, 15:47
Airbus, the plane manufacturer, has patentedI think that patent will be rejected based on prior art:

http://c.fastcompany.net/multisite_files/codesign/imagecache/inline-large/post-inline/inline-slave-ship-infographic.jpg