PDA

View Full Version : Part 61 Licensing

KReiser1
4th Oct 2015, 16:36
I see CASA has implemented some new regs last year and I am trying to decipher exactly what I need to do to convert my Canadian ATPL over to an Australian ATPL. From what I gather, I need to:

Renew my ASIC
Get a Class 1 Aviation medical
Write the ATPL human factors, ATPL conversion exam, and maybe the IREX
Now the confusing part... I need to complete a "multi-crew coordination course"?? Also, I'll need to complete an ATPL flight test in a twin turbine aircraft?

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/overseas-licence-conversion-examinations?WCMS%3ASTANDARD%3A%3Apc=PC_90085

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/lib100191/getting-air-transport-pilot-licence.pdf

Has anyone gone through this process yet?

Kris

Mach E Avelli
4th Oct 2015, 21:20
If you have operated with a Part 121 airline in Canada you could apply for an exemption to the MCC.
You can do the test in a suitable simulator. Several are available in various main cities with independent examiners, but you need to be type rated.
Of course if you are already working within an organisation with its own CAR 217 approval, you may already have an examiner able to conduct the test. Or you can arrange for a CASA inspector to conduct the test with a sim instructor running the 'box'. You need a co pilot for the test, which is all about working with another crew member.
Other than that, your summary about covers it.
If you do not have suitable prior multi crew experience the MCC course is essential.
It is not cheap. There now have been a few go before you who may wish to add to these comments.

Also - an afterthought. Do NOT be tempted to convert your Canadian ATPL to an Australian CPL with the intention of upgrading to an ATPL later. If you do that they treat the later upgrade as they would any other local applicant, ie you get to do all the theory exams!

havick
4th Oct 2015, 23:52
Fixed wing or rotary?

UnaMas
5th Oct 2015, 00:02
You don't actually need to be type rated on the aircraft you intend to do the test in, but you will be tested to that standard.
Much of a muchness but a small loophole nonetheless.

Mach E Avelli
5th Oct 2015, 22:28
True, there is a loophole in the way the rules are worded. However, without very good knowledge of the aircraft, its systems and emergency procedures etc, anyone attempting the ATPL test is setting up for failure. Although the content of the test appears similar to an IPC there is more emphasis on overall management of the whole operational scenario; whereas in the past candidates for the old CIR tended to be assessed merely on flying to the tolerances.
If money is available probably the best way would be to do a type rating and combine the final check ride with the ATPL test. Usually at the end of a type rating course the candidate is at a peak - in the simulator at least.
Another potentially cheaper (but still not cheap!) angle to explore is to use something like a King Air. CASA have indicated that they are prepared to accept such aircraft, but only if proper two pilot procedures have been developed.
Again, without good aircraft knowledge and well-practised multi crew procedures any candidate is likely to be disappointed.

TSRABECOMING
6th Oct 2015, 04:02
I am doing the same as you Kris. PM me if you have some questions. we can share
Ts

UnaMas
6th Oct 2015, 05:48
In truth the King Air idea is a red herring, the 2-crew procedures that CASA want to see are so intense (read. full FCOM) that unless you are already operating in that environment, it is too much to try and do, unless you are happy to pay someone to write an FCOM for you, the appendix in the Ops Manual stating who does what is just not enough.

Doing a type rating and combining it with the test is the best way to go.