PDA

View Full Version : Gliding question

studentpilotmcuk
3rd Oct 2015, 14:28
Hi after tracking a glider fly over Europe the thought came to me, what would happen if a glider took off in one European country and landed in another?

What are the legalities technicalities involved?

What would happen to the glider pilot if he doesn't have a passport or identity card?

I ask this is I cannot find anything on the internet (I must be looking in the wrong places)

Has this ever happened before? is it a rare occurrence or is this a regular thing.

All comments greatly appreciated.

Regards Stude :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Oct 2015, 14:34
For a start, I imagine the pilot would ensure that such an event would be unlikely.

chevvron
3rd Oct 2015, 14:45
Might be better if you asked in the 'Private Flying' thread.

studentpilotmcuk
3rd Oct 2015, 15:14
i was thinking of doing that however, I am not a pilot (yet). Bearing that in mind I always post in the spotters section. If the Mods want to move the post to the Private Flying thread, please do :)

Regards stude :)

Fitter2
3rd Oct 2015, 15:25
Between Schengen countries, no problem. Netherlands pilots do most of their cross country flying over Germany, and land-outs are not unknown. International competition tasks do sometimes cross international boundaries, with 'foreign' field landings.

biscuit74
3rd Oct 2015, 16:51
Student pilot. It has happened quite a few times. As Heathrow Director said, most pilots ensure there will be minimum problem - by carrying passports and ID cards if attempting very long flights.

There have been occasions when the real headache has been the aeroplane, not the pilot. Customs may not be at all happy to let the machine out if they no proof of entry into a country. Way back in the days of The Iron Curtain, that and similar 'security' concerns caused problems during several international contests. The secret. I was told, was to have lots of documents which officials could study, stamp or copy, file. Especially ones with lots of flowery headings and impressive crests, plus other signatures.

studentpilotmcuk
4th Oct 2015, 03:05
Hi thank you to all who responded I very much appreciate all the comments.

Pegpilot
8th Oct 2015, 22:14
And of course the English Channel is occasionally crossed by pure sailplanes. The pure maths state that if you set off from Dover in a 40/1 glider and cross by the shortest route, you would lose say 2700 ft in nil wind, so if you had 5000 ft at Dover you would still have height to spare at Cap Gris Nez. Mind you, as a former member of Channel Gliding Club, it does look an awfully long way and the barriers to crossing the Oggin are probably more in the mind than real....

blind pew
9th Oct 2015, 05:48
Over a decade ago two French brothers set off from the South of France and landed in North Africa...arrested as they didn't have their passports. Got back home a couple of days later ;-)

http://volavoile.ouarzazate.free.fr/crvva.htm

Vinon to Fez...1430 km

IIRC they still had enough altitude for another 50km but had run out of maps - silly boys ;-)