PDA

View Full Version : Pat on the back to Oxford CAE!

glenb
3rd Oct 2015, 09:47
I had the opportunity to attend the recent CFI conference in Canberra. With a large contingent of CFIs and the most senior of CASA management. CAE was asked by CASA to do a presentation on their efforts to become a 142 Organisation.

My expectation, was a fairly toned down and ingratiating presentation. They are on the cusp of becoming an early 142 Operation and their interests would be well served by giving the wheels one last little squirt of Oil. The less of us that manage the Transition, the better it is for the likes of the larger Organisations.

In fact we received a very frank and eye opening perspective of the challenge ahead. It was enlightening and they were very strong in their criticism of the process. All CFIs/Business Owners present will have benefited significantly from that Presentation.

Congratulations to the Senior Management of Oxford CAE on the nature of their presentation and quite sincerely. Thankyou! An Organisation that gained a lot of respect and trust from me on that day. Cheers .

Tinstaafl
3rd Oct 2015, 23:41
It would be nice to see a transcript of it.

scavenger
4th Oct 2015, 00:21
I was pretty disappointed. I couldn't see the point, I was hoping a response from CASA would immediately follow, highlighting and explaining how they had rectified the problems.

No such luck.

Aussie Bob
4th Oct 2015, 00:58
Another post like the Skidmore thread, nothing here but disappointment. Why it is such a challenge to change to a part 41/42 operation is beyond me. So glad I quit this industry. Much more interesting to watch the death of the small GA operators from a position where it doesn't hurt so much.

Thumbs up if they gave a frank appraisal but did they ask why? Or what for? Did they say how much it cost them?

glenb
5th Oct 2015, 20:39
Regarding the costs to transition to a Part 142 Organisation to simply be able to continue doing what we used to do would be somewhere in the vicinity of $200,000. That is my experience, and the Oxford Presentation indicated that their direct costs would also be somewhere in that vicinity. Cheers.

Aussie Bob
5th Oct 2015, 21:03
200K? Even I am gobsmacked. Where is this money going when CASA are processing the applications for "free"?

Homesick-Angel
6th Oct 2015, 10:12
Surely a small operation with four or five planes and a few instructors doing up to CPL or IR couldn't come to 200k? Surely:confused:

bloated goat
6th Oct 2015, 20:33
The only reason it costs about $200 grand is because CASA couldn't find ways to make it cost 300. It's so obvious CASA are trying to get rid of the smaller schools and only want to deal with about 5 schools only.

Sink or Swim!

imabell
7th Oct 2015, 06:49
Casa told me 4 years ago that the expected most schools to fail.

Sandy Reith
10th Oct 2015, 08:46
It must be obvious to even the most enthusiastic CASA supporters, mind they would be exclusively CASA employees these days, that the regulatory regime for General Aviation is a total failure. To talk about just one segment of GA and the effect of the current regime, for example strict liability and the minutiae of prescriptive control and the associated costs for the training schools is to be distracted from the main game. In the US 70% of pilots are trained by individual instructors outside of our compulsory and super expensive Air Operators Certificate. Cost difference them and us? It would be funny if not so sad.

Either start talking to your federal MP or slip back to daydreaming what freedom used to be like, an Australia we lost by apathy. Again as usual the US leads the way, a bill before Congress to obviate the need for aviation medicals for 90% of aviators. Can you agree with this? Or is the ego importance of being a flyer getting in the way of accepting the fact that there is no safety case for aviation medicals? Reason requires facts, why not the same regime for car drivers?

Sandy Reith
10th Oct 2015, 09:11
Apology for intemperate words but surely its clear that you are truly wasting your time. You are simply being feed like chooks fattening for the pot. Don't talk to them anymore. Talk to your MPs. Organise radio talks, TV if you can get it. Don't give CASA any respect or consideration because that way is complete failure. Talk with CASA is rubbish, spend your valuable time where it might do some good. Talk with CASA simply justifies their existence and is much easier for them rather than working for a living.

10,000 hr, AOC for flying school, RPT, freight, scenic flights, was lic. test approved instructor : current PPL and owner.