PDA

View Full Version : ATC Lasham in Administration??

Towerman
2nd Oct 2015, 15:33
Hearing this from several bona fide sources.

Hope it works out for the team there.

DaveReidUK
2nd Oct 2015, 16:29
According to Google, ATC here stands for "Air Tool Company".

vulcanised
2nd Oct 2015, 16:30
Unfortunately.............

Hundreds made redundant after Southend Airport business goes under (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/local_news/13800867.Hundreds_made_redundant_after_Southend_Aiport_busin ess_goes_under/)

salad-dodger
2nd Oct 2015, 19:17
Don't be an idiot HD. ATC Lasham is a very well known and long established company. Let's talk about what this means rather than you making a fuss about being confused.

We all know what else ATC means too.

S_D

flyingintheclouds
2nd Oct 2015, 21:35
I know many of the apprentices there who have just finished their 4 year course and now have been made redundant. Gutting for all the employees there though as it was a large company so I have great sympathy because it was so out of the blue.
I wonder what will happen to the facilities at Southend, could it yield more expansion?

Alber Ratman
2nd Oct 2015, 23:13
Gutted for all my former colleagues that lost their jobs today.

Flightmech
3rd Oct 2015, 08:11
Sad news all round. Are there any customer aircraft stuck at both sites as a result?

Buster the Bear
3rd Oct 2015, 09:10
Quite a number of airframes at Lasham in store (ex Spicejet, Norwegian, Ukraine) and I am guessing an Oil spill and a Saudi 727 hangared? The latter only arrived within the last week.

AcMech
3rd Oct 2015, 09:35
I can confirm that all sites have gone into administration, Southend were told very last minute at 10am yesterday morning, Lasham at 11am and were then onto Hounslow.

There are a few aircraft in the hangars that need to be finished at Lasham (Not sure about Southend) and will be completed by a few people that have been kept on for the next 2 weeks providing that the administrators get insurance etc.

Mr Angry from Purley
3rd Oct 2015, 09:50
Real shame, great reputation I hope a buyer can be found but if not wish everyone at ATC well. I'm hoping as Engineers are like gold dust things work out and wish the apprentices well.

smokescreen
3rd Oct 2015, 10:18
Yes a great shame - my son completed his apprenticeship last year and is really gutted.
AIUI new financial backers backed out at the last moment.

Carlmjb
3rd Oct 2015, 10:21
I am in the unfortunate position as with many others from Lasham and probably Southend too where I have not been able to fully complete my 3 year apprenticeship because of the redundancies yesterday.

As they have no legal obligation to find us another placement to complete it, we have only a completion of college certificate, not the full apprenticeship.

I have been looking on aviation job search etc but if anyone knows anywhere that are currently looking for improvers/mechanics please let me know.

TOM100
3rd Oct 2015, 16:04
So sorry to hear your news :(( if your mobile Cardiff Aviation ?

mathers_wales_uk
3rd Oct 2015, 16:07
There are several roles with Cardiff Aviation, St Athan, S.Wales available on their website.

http://www.cardiffaviation.com/current-vacancies/

rvsm compliant
3rd Oct 2015, 17:27
Get in touch with KLMuk engineering at Norwich.
Good luck

GAZIN
3rd Oct 2015, 21:14
Very sad for everyone concerned.
I found myself in the a similar position back in 1980 during the third year of my apprenticeship. But my employer pulled out all the stops and found a place for all the apprentices to continue with their training. We were split between two or more companies, but at least we were able to finish our training.
I know that was a long time ago, but it would be nice to think that ATC could do the same.

Wodrick
3rd Oct 2015, 22:16
So sorry for the Appos but also for the blokes, I expect many of my contempories have, like me, retired but I wish good fortune to any that haven't.
A lot of great work has come out of that little gliding place.
Wod, DAE MAN 1972 until BA sold it.

N707ZS
6th Oct 2015, 08:39
How many aircraft are left at Lasham?

Tight Accountant
6th Oct 2015, 09:55
Does anyone know why ATC actually went under? For example, lack of demand, significant customer debts, mismanagement, etc. I would be interested to know as the sudden jump into administration seems odd.

Buster the Bear
6th Oct 2015, 14:46
LN-KHB escaped this afternoon back to Stavangar, I am guessing that Norwegian still own this airframe and it had yet to be handed back to the leasing company? This would certainly indicate that in the short term, that there is no impending sale of the business?

http://i59.tinypic.com/v7w8lj.jpg

Buster the Bear
6th Oct 2015, 14:56
ATC Lasham apprentices offered help after Southend Airport business closure (From Echo) (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/13804855.ATC_Lasham_apprentices_offered_help_after_Southend_ Airport_closure/)

Rigga
6th Oct 2015, 22:32
Wow.
I nearly took a job there a very, very few months ago - but luckily they couldn't afford me and, for a short while, I was kicking myself....I now believe in Karma!
I feel for the guys, but it's happened for a reason.

Wodrick
7th Oct 2015, 08:31
from the first time I went there (1973 B727 Avionics course) I always thought what a quiet peaceful place to work, could never afford the housing.
They probably were unable to compete in the world market.

JNimmo
7th Oct 2015, 11:20
Hi Buster, I work for BBC News Online and we're doing a story about the administration. Any chance we could use your picture?

Rigga
7th Oct 2015, 21:07
Just wondering why?
When I had my interview there was talk of expansion (with funding available) and even moving to make way for a new Terminal!
Is this because the Air Transport decisions for expanding London's airports have gone the wrong way?

Tight Accountant
13th Oct 2015, 12:26
The rumour on the street is that the CAA had concerns regarding staff levels and by implication, the quality of maintenance, etc. As the owners were unprepared to inject fresh capital to resolve the issues the CAA had, the plug was pulled.

N707ZS
13th Oct 2015, 18:37
Did ATC own the airfield at Lasham?

spekesoftly
13th Oct 2015, 23:14
According to their website, Lasham Gliding Society bought the airfield from the Ministry of Defence in 1999.

N707ZS
14th Oct 2015, 10:24
Thanks spekesoftly.

Fris B. Fairing
28th Oct 2015, 02:56
This message appeared in the Southend Echo of 27 October.

http://www.adastron.com/707/qfm/echo-advert.jpg

Capot
28th Oct 2015, 12:33
The rumour on the street is that the CAA had concerns regarding staff levels and by implication, the quality of maintenance, Hmmm....there was usually a high contractor-to-permie ratio at Southend; it was how ATC managed to keep costs (and prices) down). I wonder if that's what the CAA's concerns were about, if they existed at all?

Alber Ratman
6th Nov 2015, 22:18
They did have issues with the HSE recently too. It cost them a bob or two.

Kengineer-130
7th Nov 2015, 00:53
Having worked as a contractor at both sites, the quality of engineers was without a shadow of a doubt the biggest asset ATC had, however the management was stuck in the 70's... Ultimately lack of investment in their infrastructure & treating their staff poorly came home to roost, I have rarely seen such a discord between management & the workers. Sadly everyone suffers when an organisation like ATC goes, it served me well for progressing my career, & I can only thank the people I worked with & wish them well for the future.

B Guest
19th Nov 2015, 16:15
Really gutted to hear the company has folded. My dad worked there until last year and, even though he'd retired, he was going to try and get permission show me and my kids around. He knew they'd love the aircraft. However, he died suddenly last October and it never happened.

I was just looking for the company's website to see if we could arrange the visit he promised. Left it too late. It's always been a fragile industry. Good luck to everyone in finding something else.

N707ZS
27th Nov 2015, 22:42
Heard a rumour of a small amount of good news, a possible buyer might of come forward and might start a small amount of work, someone else might know.

chevvron
28th Nov 2015, 08:01
Heard a rumour of a small amount of good news, a possible buyer might of come forward and might start a small amount of work, someone else might know.
Is that Lasham or Southend or both?

BluFin
28th Nov 2015, 20:18
Its being disposed of piecemeal, Southend equipment sold and 2 bays agreed with Freeholder. TBC
Lasham Most of the site agreed but not all for 145 MRO work just a couple of bays. TBC
Its all to be finalised and subject to contract.

Administrators will go public when its a done deal I'm sure, but employment numbers will be nothing like it was previously.

Cooks are purchasing the Aero Turbine Facility business at Hounslow subject to Approvals CAA & HMRC, no surprises there as they are the landlord.

BluFin
6th Dec 2015, 09:27
Creditors meeting by the administrators this coming Wen, 9th Dec , 2 excel seem to be the company for the Lasham site at the moment according to rumor control.

Talkdownman
6th Dec 2015, 11:41
I wonder if the radar will be returned to service or disposed of...

TCAS FAN
6th Dec 2015, 13:09
Talkdownman

I sincerely doubt that CAA are going to entertain resurrecting the 424 in the state that it was when ATC Lasham went into Administration. My understanding is that prior to this they were not willing to issue any further validations/unit endorsements on the 424 at Lasham.

As far as CAA are concerned the ATC Lasham Administration issue has probably has enabled them to finally wash their hands of the 424.

wigglyamp
6th Dec 2015, 14:08
Are 2Excel in the frame for Lasham because they can't find anywhere else wiling/able to take on their 727 maintenance?

Talkdownman
6th Dec 2015, 15:42
My understanding is that prior to this they were not willing to issue any further validations/unit endorsements on the 424 at Lasham
Two Unit Endorsements were granted in February, and at the time of going into Administration a third person was under training midway MER and with CAA's agreement.

TCAS FAN
6th Dec 2015, 15:55
Talkdownman

Thank you for the clarification, there was obviously some movement from a recent CAA position in respect of the 424. As the ANSP Certification was possibly withdrawn, time will tell whether CAA will consider a new application for use of the 424.

Talkdownman
6th Dec 2015, 16:24
SARG is probably still having its long-awaited party, dancing around the shredder...

TCAS FAN
6th Dec 2015, 18:44
Talkdownman

Could not agree more, not known for making pragmatic decisions.

Red Four
9th Dec 2015, 12:57
Anyone heard what is to become of the Southend hangars?

Fitter2
24th Dec 2015, 13:44
Some good news for some?

"2 Excel Engineering Ltd is a new Part 145 maintenance repair organisation (MRO). It has been created using the long standing engineering experience of the retained staff at the Lasham site, under a new management team led by 2 Excel Aviation Ltd and TAG Aviation (Stansted) Ltd. This new team shares a vision of rebuilding a formidable MRO at the established large-aircraft facilities at Lasham. 2 Excel Engineering is a new company, built on the foundation of 3 established aerospace businesses. It is intended that ATC Lasham will be retained as the company's trading name.
2 Excel and TAG are committed to moulding 2 Excel Engineering Ltd into a formidable Part 145 capability and a resounding commercial success

BluFin
24th Dec 2015, 14:23
Why the heck keep the name, rep was bad at the end and they were insolvent owing money, if thats what they want to be associated with, best of luck.

Zaphod the 0th
24th Dec 2015, 15:03
Why the heck keep the name, rep was bad at the end and they were insolvent owing money, if thats what they want to be associated with, best of luck.

Maybe they can't transfer the approval and have to keep the name?

BluFin
25th Dec 2015, 16:53
Thats a bit of a handicap, Still good luck to them and the new venture

Capot
26th Dec 2015, 10:05
I have always understood that a change of controlling ownership requires a new approval, whether or not the name is retained.......but, if so, at least they could save a lot of time/money by updating and resubmitting the ATCL documentation, along with the new Form 4s etc.

I'm with Blufin; why on earth keep the name? It has had undesirable associations for a long while. Something with Excel in the name?

Hmm............... perhaps not.

Talkdownman
26th Dec 2015, 18:45
And having 'ATC' in the name will resurrect the pre-existing confusion with ATC...

BluFin
27th Dec 2015, 09:53
You can transfer an approval if the ownership changes but the structure and personnel / procedures remain intact (Simplified explanation).