PDA

View Full Version : Transaero (UN/TSO) bankruptcy imminent?

TBSC
1st Oct 2015, 18:32
Per latest news Transaero's bankruptcy will be announced soon for debts of nearly 4 billion(!) USD. Aeroflot recently spend 3 million USD/day to pay Transaero's fuel bills (fleet of 96 aircraft) which will be stopped from tomorrow. Suppliers started to hold their departing aircraft (3 UN aircraft are rumoured to be kept in Antalya today, not confirmed). Negotations are ongoing with other russian carriers to rescue their passengers.

TASS: Business & Economy - Decision made for Transaero to go bankrupt (http://tass.ru/en/economy/825425)

racedo
1st Oct 2015, 18:40
Majority of Aircraft are on EI- registry and leased it appears.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Transaero-Airlines

Flightmech
1st Oct 2015, 20:01
Looks like some long term parking might be needed in DUB & SNN in the near future.

LeftHeadingNorth
1st Oct 2015, 20:40
Soo the IAA let them continue to operate with that kind of debt. Sure no problem... I mean financial stability is no requirement for an AOC...

STN Ramp Rat
1st Oct 2015, 20:57
LHN the aircraft are registered in Ireland the Airlines AOC is Russian so the financial state of the airline is nothing to do with the IAA just the aircraft airworthiness

kcockayne
1st Oct 2015, 21:18
Another nail in the coffin of the A380 ?

Metro man
2nd Oct 2015, 04:54
Lots of Russians stuck in Thailand then.

DARK MATTER
2nd Oct 2015, 07:48
Now making headlines here in Cyprus. They depend heavily on the Russians to prop up the economy ...........Transaero bankruptcy may send shock waves across Cyprus (Update-3) (http://cyprusbusinessmail.com/?p=15244)

fab777
2nd Oct 2015, 07:59
So we will not hear this lovely callsign again? "Transsoviet..."

LLuCCiFeR
2nd Oct 2015, 08:48
Soo the IAA let them continue to operate with that kind of debt. Sure no problem... I mean financial stability is no requirement for an AOC...
Well, that probably goes for a lot of airlines as most of the so-called Aviation 'Authorities' do anything but overseeing the airlines. Basically the airlines are allowed to sort of 'regulate' themselves, and when it all goes t!ts up, then nobody is responsible.

I vividly remember Swissair being grounded from one day to the next, completely out of the blue leaving thousands of people stranded all over the world. The complete and utter financial mess of the SAir Group was well known, but where was the Swiss precision, Swiss clockwork and Swiss oversight? Think again! :} :p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VRWk6f4gXQ

I wonder how many of those P2F low cost airlines are 'glued' together with a huge pile of debt that need to get rolled over week after week, month after month? All on hope and a prayer. Anyone remember Air Polonia?

wrecker
2nd Oct 2015, 09:20
Very Sad News
I trained many of the B757 aircrew in spring 1994. Some very nice people and some excellent aviators. I guess most of them will be well into their 60s now and will probably have retired.
If any are reading this best wishes.

crippen
2nd Oct 2015, 10:16
Lots of Russians stuck in Thailand.

The Russians are leaving! The Russians are leaving!

I was in the process of writing about the drop in Russian visitors to Thailand and the region as the result the devaluation of the ruble. Now it turns out that the plunge in January was more drastic than forecast, as the Bangkok Post reported March 20.

There were 46% fewer Russian arrivals in Thailand in January 2015 than the year before: 145,605 this year versus 269,479 in January 2014. While the December-January period is always Thailand’s high tourism season, bear in mind that tourism in early 2014 was depressed by Bangkok street rallies that ultimately led to the May military coup.

The huge January 2015 drop in Russian visitors followed year-on-year declines of approximately 27%, 23% and 21% in October, November and December, respectively, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand. In the 4th quarter of 2013, there were more than 600,00 Russian visitors to Thailand, while in the 4th quarter of 2014 there were fewer than 200,000 according to the PATA (Pacific Asia Travel Association) mPower database.

Forbes Welcome (http://www.forbes.com/sites/susancunningham/2015/03/25/as-ruble-plunges-so-does-russian-tourism-in-thailand/)

up_down_n_out
6th Oct 2015, 13:36
TBQH the Transaero debacle was waiting to happen, for years and years now.
It was only a question of time.

They started out as a "roll over finance" company, thought they could play it big, then when the rouble went down the pan, tried to bust their way out of the falling revenues by lowering fares even more. :rolleyes:

There's only one solution to a "rock and hard place",- getting rescued by a semi-government owned airline financed by international subsidies of RF overflying aircraft.

Hi AFL! And when that :mad: plan doesn't work out for obvious reasons, all you get is some nice outfit like Pobeda hey isn't "kr..m n..sh" to get you out of the proverbial? :ok:

In the end, the only ones to suffer from the reduced safety culture and the lack of choice are the PAX, -

(then along will come a non EU airline/country that has the right to overfly Ukraine, and pick up the tasty bits...)

Welcome TK, we always knew we could count on you. :)

Romasik
7th Oct 2015, 15:47
I trained many of the B757 aircrew in spring 1994. Some very nice people and some excellent aviators. I guess most of them will be well into their 60s now and will probably have retired.
If any are reading this best wishes.

I was one of them:) The best time and the best training ever...

SMT Member
7th Oct 2015, 15:57

Perhaps, but not quite to the same degree as the 747-8i

Torquelink
7th Oct 2015, 16:09

I don't think so - watch this space . .

kcockayne
7th Oct 2015, 22:46
I'm watching - & hoping. I have no agenda reference the A380. Rather, I am concerned about the ongoing lack of new orders, & by the demise of Skymark & Transaero & the continuing deferment by Virgin. All bad news for the 380 ! So, if Airbus have got some more orders, I am more than happy.

Torquelink
8th Oct 2015, 11:06
More orders by the end of the year - possibly sooner.

LLuCCiFeR
8th Oct 2015, 12:21
More orders by the end of the year - possibly sooner.
By whom? Transaero?

I agree with SMT Member however, a bankruptcy of Transaero might have amuch larger impact on the entire 747-8 (both the "8i" and "8F") program.

Torquelink
8th Oct 2015, 15:45
By whom? Transaero?

Major carriers, reasonable number of airframes.

kcockayne
8th Oct 2015, 22:33
Well, I hope that you are correct.