PDA

View Full Version : RAF Hornchurch

MartinMarauder
29th Sep 2015, 20:36
RAF Hornchurch - On Saturday 3rd October 2015 Essex Wildlife Trust is opening the Ingrebourne Valley Visitor Centre at Hornchurch Country Park, the site of former Royal Flying Corps Sutton’s Farm Airfield and RAF Hornchurch Aerodrome. The day marks the centenary of the opening of Sutton’s Farm Airfield in 1915. Once officially opened the visitor centre will be developing a variety of interpretation and exhibits on the history of the airfield and will have a memory booth for people to come and record and share their memories of this site as a lasting legacy. A Spitfire flypast is due to take place at 3pm. Essex Wildlife Trust would like to invite those that in particular served or had connections at the airfield. The event is open to the public 11 am – 4.30 pm. If anyone is interested please PM me and I will pass on the contact details.

Wander00
30th Sep 2015, 19:07
Aah, did initial selection there before going to Deadloss House at Cranditz for the Scholarship, Flying Scholarship and Cadetship selection.

Democritus
30th Sep 2015, 22:17
I went there at age 15 for what I think were called pre-selection tests. I was worried about my eyesight and indeed on that score failed for RAF pilot selection but passed everything else. They said I'd be okay for Air Electronics Officer though. Decided against that and at 17 joined the RN to fly rotary as you could wear specs for that although ISTR at that time you couldn't wear specs as a RAF rotary pilot. Things have probably changed - this was back in 1959.

rolling20
1st Oct 2015, 07:41
Ah, I grew up near there and often used to wander around the old airfield when it had long gone. The officers mess building and married quarters were still around when I was a kid, albeit over the road from the main site.
Apart from the odd can or discarded ammunition the biggest thing that was left was the huge dome, which I think was used for gunnery training? Although my father told me it had housed pigs. I once came across a huge discarded articulated tanker somewhere on the drome. It was bright yellow and emblazoned on the side was 'Property of the USAAF'!

Wander00
1st Oct 2015, 09:33
Was that gunnery trainer "listed"? I thing the Wyton one is, but I think they are pretty rare

76fan
1st Oct 2015, 14:57
I must have attended the Aircrew Selection Centre at Hornchurch (as part of the process of being awarded an Air Training Corps Flying Scholarship) about 1961/62, so not long before it moved to Biggin Hill. Apart from the aptitude tests all I remember is that it was damned cold in that Nissen Hut with its one central stove.

Robert Cooper
2nd Oct 2015, 04:54
The one thing I remember about going through aircrew selection at Hornchurch in 1958 was everyone stopping work on the exercises on the airfield as a Mosquito took off. I guess the directing staff understood as no one was penalized.

Bob C

rolling20
2nd Oct 2015, 07:27
Was that gunnery trainer "listed"? I thing the Wyton one is, but I think they are pretty rare
I think it was demolished? I haven't been that way for years. There was talk of it being listed years ago.

chevvron
2nd Oct 2015, 12:02
There was a similar 'dome' at Bovingdon until they built a prison there.

rolling20
2nd Oct 2015, 13:43
Had a look at Google street view, looks like the dome is long gone, very sad.

Top West 50
4th Oct 2015, 21:27
WanderOO - identical story. I was nominated team leader for the rail journey to Cranwell and managed to pass that part of the test (and the rest).

IFPS man
5th Oct 2015, 07:19
Re post #4: I, too, used to live near the 'drome (Ullswater Way) back in the 1950's and can remember seeing from an upstairs bedroom, parachutists jumping out of a (barrage) balloon. Also, I seem to remember seeing a Spitfire fuselage on a low-loader near Wood Lane, presumably from the airfield. Sad that the "dome" is no longer there!
Another of those "wish I had had a camera" times...
Im