PDA

View Full Version : The new era of being of a Pilot

CokeZero
26th Sep 2015, 04:45
Interesting article.....

Driverless trucks, trains and automobiles: Now for the pilotless passenger plane (http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/and-now-for-the-pilotless-passenger-plane-20150924-gjucza.html)

I like the following quote

Australian pilots, like those in the United States, are known for having excellent piloting skills honed through a mix of general aviation, regional airlines and the military. Pilots take pride in being able to fly and land the plane and tend to use autoland systems only during foggy weather or when required to certify the systems are still working properly.
But elsewhere in the world, the aviation training culture is less robust. Some airlines and pilots rely far more on automatic systems and when they break down, the end result can be tragic. So the best pilots now have great manual flying skills and the ability to manage complex computer systems.

Read more: Driverless trucks, trains and automobiles: Now for the pilotless passenger plane (http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/and-now-for-the-pilotless-passenger-plane-20150924-gjucza.html#ixzz3moheIQlG)
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

cxorcist
26th Sep 2015, 05:44
Duh! You mean pilots should be able to actually fly without a flight director, auto-throttle, and autopilots? What a novel concept! You might even want one of those old school pilots to be well rested. Perhaps they should not be flying 900 hours a year and constantly subject to roster changes and circadian swaps. But what do I know? I'm just one of those overpaid, underworked, old school aviators with several thousand hours experience before CX. I'm sure our DFO and GMA know much more than me about aviation safety and flight operations.

goathead
26th Sep 2015, 07:07
It's utterly bizarre that a flight operations department in charge of 144 Large aircraft 3000+ pilots, is run by TWO non pilots isn't it ? I just can't understand this ? Is it a massive oversight by the 9th floor that is truly going to come home haunt ? Haddon Cave Pt 2 !
It is akin to a bank being run by pilots!
imagine that!

frampton
26th Sep 2015, 11:01
Goathead

"It's utterly bizarre that a flight operations department in charge of 144 Large aircraft 3000+ pilots, is run by TWO non pilots isn't it ? I just can't understand this ? Is it a massive oversight by the 9th floor that is truly going to come home haunt ? Haddon Cave Pt 2 !
It is akin to a bank being run by pilots!
imagine that!"

Except a sperm bank that guarantees not to lose deposits!