PDA

View Full Version : CX170

Oval3Holer
24th Sep 2015, 23:43
What happened to CX170?

geh065
24th Sep 2015, 23:56
Sparks, flames reported from engine of Cathay Pacific plane flying from Perth to Hong Kong - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-25/flames-reported-from-plane-engine-after-leaving-perth/6804100)

ozonetester
25th Sep 2015, 00:01
Engine failure in the cruise. Diverted into Bali.
Second A330 engine failure in about 2 weeks.

broadband circuit
25th Sep 2015, 00:47
2nd???? news to me!

Why aren't airbus pilots aware of the first???

Why aren't airbus pilots aware of the hydraulic failures including the double hydraulic failure about a month ago??

Maybe the fleet office are too busy with other things.....

Yeah, too busy writing flowery blurbs about 350 updates and how good it'll be when the 350 arrives, too busy doing D & G on fatigued crews reporting unfit due fatigue, too busy trying to move to airbus procedure which, by the way, we should never have moved away from.

Fantastic communications coming from the fleet office......

Yonosoy Marinero
25th Sep 2015, 01:44
Why aren't airbus pilots aware of the first???

Why aren't airbus pilots aware of the hydraulic failures including the double hydraulic failure about a month ago??

You forget the double rejected takeoff from AKL a few days ago...
Did anybody say damage control?

And here I was thinking OPS is where the wheels were falling off. It appears ENG is where it's almost literally happening...

But safety is their first priority right?

No. But in the top 5, easily.

:}

Progress Wanchai
25th Sep 2015, 01:56
Plus cx532, a 777, never made it to Nagoya earlier in the week after losing an engine.

All's quiet operationally. Bonus!

oriental flyer
25th Sep 2015, 03:25
If that was a single engined plane "say a Cessna "that had suffered multiple engine failures in a short space of time . There would have been multiple hull losses as well

Do you not think that the CAD would have grounded the entire fleet type until the cause had been investigated and rectification work done .

Just because we are flying multi engined aircraft does not mitigate the fact that our maintenance leaves a lot to be desired . I do not place the blame entirely on engineering they are being pushed to the limits of human endurance as well.

You have exhausted engineers and exhausted aircrew . A potentially very dangerous mix

So the CAD need to step up and get the mess that has become CX under control before there is a major disaster . But they won't , just as they have never taken action over anything before .

cxorcist
25th Sep 2015, 07:37
This is when you love flying a four-engined Boeings. Just sayin'!!!

If not for the horrible roster instability and constant disruption, the 747 fleet might be the "safe" place to be. Probably not the case however considering the cumulative fatigue and constant swapping of body clocks with two crew ops. I think I'll take my chances on the four pilot crewed Boeing twin-jet.

Frogman1484
25th Sep 2015, 07:44
Cathay Pacific flight from Perth to Hong Kong diverted after 'flames, sparks' (http://www.smh.com.au/wa-news/cathay-pacific-flight-from-perth-to-hong-kong-catches-fire-midflight-report-20150924-gjumc6?skin=dumb-phone)

read the last bit with the Lawyer telling everyone to go and see a DR so that he can start a claim!:sad:

It is also good to read that they are making reference to the "Dear Anna" letter. From now on anything bad happens , they all know that management has been warned...:ok:

Tankengine
25th Sep 2015, 11:21
CX spokesperson on Australian TV said passengers did not see flames from right hand engine they saw a "warning light on the engine!" :ugh::}

Lowkoon
25th Sep 2015, 13:48
Oh, thats pure genius, a warning light that looks like flames, but really isn't! You couldn't make this up could you? Who on earth briefs these 'spokespeople'? Must be the result of cost cutting and downsizing in the spokesperson department as well. Might be time to put some effort into improving this section of the company, they are about to get very busy.

joblow
25th Sep 2015, 15:16
After reading the CX reply I was under the impression that Airbus had fitted a master caution light on the engines . That would explain what the passengers saw , a light not Sparks and or flames

As you say you couldn't make his stuff up . Why don't they employ a pilot to be the spokesperson at least they would present a believable story . Good position for Phil after reading his linked in profile

Arfur Dent
25th Sep 2015, 21:38
Surely the 'moron' (ie The Captain) just pressed the 'divert' button, engaged the autopilot in 'engine failure' mode and the aircraft flew itself nicely to an autoland at the nearest suitable airfield.
Thank goodness all the automatics worked! I wonder how many of our so called 'Managers' ever have to press such critical 'buttons'.
Come on Anna - what do you think??

Captain Dart
25th Sep 2015, 23:59
I seem to remember that it was 'million dollar moron' (the term supposedly used by a previous CX CEO). 'Greedy fat-cat pilot' would also fill the bill, as would 'overpaid button pusher'.

I was called a 'glorified bus driver' by an Australian prime minister once.

Bob Hawke
26th Sep 2015, 03:44
I do recall that Captain Dart.

AQIS Boigu
26th Sep 2015, 04:48
We are in good hands with Cathay Pacific pilots (and Anna...stop %#*^ing with my CoS)

ALEX LO
[email protected]
PUBLISHED : Saturday, 26 September, 2015, 1:35am
UPDATED : Saturday, 26 September, 2015, 1:35am

I have never been a fan of Cathay Pacific, having travelled too many times in its cattle class where cabin staff seem to go out of their way to put you in your place.

On the other hand, I consider feeling unimportant far less important than feeling safe knowing your plane is piloted by professionals. Most of the time, I am indifferent to British, Canadian or Aussie accents. But I find the overhead announcements by Cathay captains in one of those accents strangely reassuring.

When I was a local news reporter and editor, I used to complain how local papers were always reporting near misses and close calls with Cathay planes while we never got to report a real disaster. Sorry, it's the unforgivable bloodlust of a newshound.

The latest incident was a Cathay plane forced to make an emergency landing in Bali, Indonesia, because an engine caught fire. No one was injured.

Now, escaping disasters once or twice may be put down to good luck. But since Cathay pilots have been able to do it time and again you are beginning to think perhaps skill, training and experience have to do with it as much as dumb luck. It is not for nothing that our home airline is one of the safest in the world, and that's something we should be proud of and brag about.

In March last year, Cathay Flight 748 made an emergency landing in Johannesburg after birds were sucked into one engine. In November 2012, a Cathay plane landed safely in Alaska after the cabin suddenly lost pressure.

The year before, another flight made an unscheduled landing after an engine blew up.

And in a heroic act of aviation, two Cathay pilots landed Flight 780 safely in April 2010 at twice the normal speed after both of its engines malfunctioned in mid-air. Fifty-seven people were injured but no one died. Both pilots were given the Polaris Award by the International Federation of Air Line Pilots' Associations.

You might have read from the late Michael Crichton's Airframe that modern aircraft are amazing machineries so fully automated they practically fly themselves. But it's when crucial parts of the machine stop functioning that the true pilot has to take over.

Cathay pilots are often considered pampered and overpaid. I for one think they are probably worth every penny.

raven11
26th Sep 2015, 05:22
Yes; and when 100 of the most senior pilots wright a warning letter to senior management, they would do well to take heed.

cxorcist
26th Sep 2015, 05:57
Raven,

Cannot la! The almighty spreadsheet shows that CX must cut, cut, cut its way to higher profitability. $afety first! To their bonuses... Hope those dollars aren't soaked in passenger blood. I think that the letter to the DFO from CX trainers was basically stating that it is just a matter of time now. Sad :{

broadband circuit
27th Sep 2015, 02:13
Correction to your statement Silberfuchs.

There isn't a shortage of HAS tugs. There's a shortage of tug drivers.....

An appropriate quote from someone once (but I can't remember who):

There's so such thing as a labour shortage, only a salary shortage