PDA

View Full Version : WTF are Snr Management and the Board members smoking?

crewsunite
23rd Sep 2015, 06:46
1st it's majority CADET recruitment..
2nd Cancelling RP 7
Now a NEW Drugs and Alcohol program with random testing (management excluded)

I hope we / Union will fight this? they claim Snr Management and board are excluded from the random testing as they are not in a safety sensitive role.

What a joke - they make all the commercial decisions as a priority over any saftey issue then claim ignorance when something big goes down. What next they claim they were under the influence while they are continually changing policies.

D. Turnb was a crackhead. I heard this from a director himself.

These folks in Snr positions have no idea how much there decisions effect our health, fatigue and stress longterm.. this directly effects Safety far more that a small trace of alcohol ..

VR-HFX
23rd Sep 2015, 08:14
Management is initiating a policy they believe reflects their views, namely that the 2,000 plus pilots in the group are not fit to operate heavy machinery.

This view is the result of THEIR policy to downgrade the T&C's , RP's and entry requirements to the point that it is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

They have decided that the stick is still preferable to the carrot which shows how out of touch and "frightened" they really are.

However, in the interests of fairness, DT was not a crackhead. He became addicted to stilnox courtesy of company doctors prescribing same. How do I know this? The prescribing doctor. FWIW.

cpdude
23rd Sep 2015, 14:21
Random testing is not legal in Canada. Just cause is required for testing in Canada.

superfrozo
23rd Sep 2015, 18:32
Here's my favourite line from the AOD FAQ:

Q, Will senior management be included in the testing programme?
A. Currently senior management roles are not included in the list of Safety Sensitive Roles in the Company and therefore they will not be subject to random AOD testing.

So there you have it. The company admits that management don't actually believe that "safety is our number one priority". They (and the fuel hedging department) can smoke all the crack in the world and not be bothered for one second that they are in anyway involved in a "safety sensitive" role. Sleep well CX pilots. Your 'exempt' management are in no way bothered by this unimportant and pesky AOD requirement. :mad:

You couldn't make this sh!t up. :ugh:

AtoBsafely
23rd Sep 2015, 23:33
Presumably they would sober up and amend any bad decisions made while intoxicated.

Insanity is repeatedly taking the same actions while expecting a different outcome from the previous failure.

I would argue that the later is the more serious problem upstairs!

Tea time
24th Sep 2015, 03:16
well maybe it's time those exempt from testing started drinking the Special Kool Aid or snorting the icing sugar, because it can only improve the krappy decisions they are currently making...things simply can't get any worse...those are some super dodgy, MF Stupid decisions to an already crumbling situation, it's only a matter of time, tick tock

Leadership is about leading by example, not placing yourselves above the company requirements. What are you afraid of? that we may loose some of the management due to a failed drugs test? It would put a stop to drinking at lunchtime that's for sure.

Test the skinny ones first, most addicts are pretty thin, so skip the Chubbies,

As for DT hmmm!,,,

Dashtrash
24th Sep 2015, 08:23
They'll have a special "rollout":yuk: ceremony for the new slogan:

"Safety is YOUR problem. And so is the yield. And so is the fuel hedging. WE'RE off for a pint and a couple of rails."

Might take a while to catch on.

The FUB
24th Sep 2015, 15:37
10 random definitions of random;

1. Upsetting crew control.
2. Not using discretion.
3. Regularly not taking CFP fuel.
4. Sick days. (Obviously).
5. Not answering your phone and ack OCNs.
6. Resigning from training, or TA then not taking up the position.
7. Refusing to take an upgrade on an fleet not of your choice.
8. Grievance?
9. GC member.
10. Coming to the attention of any management who wish to have you under the microscope.

Shep69
24th Sep 2015, 20:20
If random drug testing is implemented it must extend to ANY individual in a supervisory or safety sensitive capacity (including crew controllers who are required to look at FTLs). While the legal implications of board members might be iffy, this wouldn't be iffy for the aforementioned positions as well as management at all levels and medical personnel.

Rascasse
24th Sep 2015, 20:56
The AOA must insist that the following list (not by any means inclusive) of people are also subject to this procedure, or refuse to participate.

Pilots,
Cabin Crew,
HAS Drivers (bus, tug etc)
Loadsheeters
Cargo Loaders
NOTOC Staff
Refuellers

....and ANY management involved in decision making relating to the operation.

BillytheKid
24th Sep 2015, 23:44
I don't know why any of you give a sh$t about this. We don't fly under the influence of anything illegal so who cares if you get pi$$ tested?

meanagre
24th Sep 2015, 23:55
Not a single Cathay pilot ever has been caught trying to fly under the influence of alcohol/drugs....and yet we can't say the same about Fatigue - which scientific data identifies as having the same effect as being drunk!

Professor Drew Dawson: South Australian Centre for Sleep Research.

After 17hrs of wakefulness his research demonstrated that performance and cognitive function (ability to think) was equivalent to BAC of 0.05

After 24hrs: 0.1

Kurtis Chukle Willis
25th Sep 2015, 01:48
Testing your urine,or hair for that matter is as useless as tits on a bull. It does not in any way test for current intoxication. You could(if you so choose) snort 10 lines of coke and smoke a fat joint right outside Cathay,sign on, get tested and nada, it won't show up. It takes a few hours to make its way into your urine and 7 days for your hair. What they are testing for is do you do drugs like ever! This is very different from random testing we are currently exposed too. Me thinks this is going to be interesting.

el commandante
25th Sep 2015, 02:13
You people are funny.
In an other post a couple of months you suggested management wasn't important at all and the airline would run very well, if not better, without management. And now they are that important to be even included in a drug test. Haha. Funny isn't it.
But yes, I'm all for it that everyone should get tested. Every employee or no one.

oriental flyer
25th Sep 2015, 04:30
Kurtis

Not being an expert on drugs, as I don't partake. I will accept your assertion that checking will not show recent intoxication but will highlight past use only

However with over 3000 pilots The laws of averages suggests that there may be some surprises if they introduce testing

Personally I don't care if the company wants to conduct random checking It won't make any difference to me

Delay Code. DT. Read that anyway you like

crewsunite
25th Sep 2015, 13:12
I see this as an opportunity to have a go at those blokes at the top.

I personally am not worried, as I dont drink nor etc.. So yes we have nothing to fear why the F should they be fearing the test and be excluded?

They do indirectly have a massive safety sensitive role and are on cloud 9 thinking ie cancelling RRP7 does not have a direct and massive safety implication.

Never mind they'll have another glass of wine to ease the guilt!

This is rightly our opportunity at word play & lobby.