PDA

View Full Version : Senior AsA Executive Resigns from AOPA re: ADSB

Dick Smith
22nd Sep 2015, 23:27
Well this is a rumour network - I’ve heard that a senior Airservices executive has made a big show of resigning from AOPA because the new president, Marc De Stoop dared sending around a letter to state that the AsA supported CASA RIS was flawed.

Some may have heard my presentation to the Senate Inquiry where I stated that the negative effect to GA of the Airservices pushed ADSB initiative was something like $60 million. In fact I’ll go further to say, if it goes ahead as Airservices plan, it will be the death knell of general aviation as we know it in this country.

What happens is, once the efficiencies of scale go, you end up with service organisations closing down. For example, recently a small battery in my Collins FMS went bung and I was quoted $17,000.00 for an exchange unit or send the unit to the United States for servicing. I did this - the aircraft was grounded for nearly 3 weeks and the cost was about $1,100.00. I was told this could normally be done in Melbourne however, Collins have closed down their operation there due to the lack of business to allow a viable operation.

Can anyone come up with some further facts in relation to this resignation? Remember, if it is one of the Airservices senior executives, he is probably on $300,000.00 plus per year, plus a performance bonus for bringing the ADSB in early. Whilst many small flying schools end up with the owner earning $40,000.00 per year and no doubt even less after having to take a second mortgage on their house to pay for the unique AsA ADSB mandate for all aircraft that fly IFR.

There is no doubt in my mind that the RIS that was prepared by CASA in relation to ADSB is a faulty document. In fact it’s really a pack of lies but so far we can’t get anyone with the ethics to actually have another look at it.

Jabawocky
23rd Sep 2015, 01:14
Dick……there is no rumour, as far as I know it is fact. And I don't blame him.

I am too, or simply can't be bothered writing the resignation, just going to let it lapse. But I might also make the effort.

AOPA has made a massive blunder with the way things were handled and it seems once the intelligent and well informed had copped enough BS and resigned their posts things went down hill.

I was delighted to see the work Mr Reiss & Mr Andersen and more recently the past president and CEO had done to turn the ship around over a few years of hard work, but I fear that all of a sudden there has been some rapid changes that will be bad for the association. I have no idea who or why. You probably do.

Another massive disgrace of which you will most likely be oblivious too occurred recently, probably around the same time frame. So while I busted my butt to help where I could I have to listen to my own advice for a change…..you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it enjoy the view.

Dick Smith
28th Sep 2015, 07:30
I totally support the action taken by the current AOPA president.

The ADSB mandate in Aus is a disgrace. It will further damage the GA industry if it goes ahead as planned by AsA and Airservices .

No where in the world is there a mandate for all IFR aircraft to be fitted with ADSB.

CHAIRMAN
28th Sep 2015, 11:27
Jaba, like you I have been a member for more years than I can remember.
The previous good guys were very consultative, but results were few and far between - maybe they did slow the downhill slide, but nevertheless the slide continued. It seems to me that they were being paid a lot of lip service.
This is the current state of bureaucracy in Australia and indeed most of the developed world.
Slow strangulation of free enterprise by regulation. It does need to be pushed back.
I don't know the circumstances of this particular persons resignation from AOPA, and would appreciate some enlightenment.
The only info I have had from the new AOPA President is from AOPA Pilot mag editorials, and nothing in there caused me too much angst - different tack maybe, but the goalposts seem to be the same.
The alphabet groups (AOPA,SAAA,RAAus,AAA,Warbirds,AMROBA and others) in Aussie need to get together - but under the current exemptions in place it seems no one wants to rock the boat. CASA set up this system with encouragement from some of these groups, and it now works to their advantage.
Unless you can enlighten us, I've gotta say I'm with Dick on this one.