PDA

View Full Version : "Converting" a licence do you give up the original?

prob30
17th Jun 2002, 16:51
This topic of converting JAA to FAA and in my case wanting to convert JAA to Australian licence...do you actually surrender your JAA licence and do the exams and whatever to be granted a licence in Aus, OR do you efectively end up with 2 licences allowing you to work in two places?

Also going JAA to Aus licence, then back again..how does that work?

PeteB
17th Jun 2002, 16:59
I was always under the impression that on 'conversion' to another country, you kept your old license and got a validation for it to be used in that country. I know it works that way for PPL's - ATPL's may be a different story though. Can't really see the point in surrendering one license to get another though...

G-LOST
17th Jun 2002, 18:28
Short answer, no you don't give up a licence.

redsnail
17th Jun 2002, 19:11
Nope, it's not like a driver's licence where you do hand the "foreign" one in.
You get 2 licences.

prob30
18th Jun 2002, 20:46
thanks guys...do I also take rating with me? ie I/R and Twin?

Presumabaly I can keep my JAA twin and I/R current by the annual renewal and dont need to do anything else if I want to come back to work in europe???

redsnail
18th Jun 2002, 21:39
As far as I am aware you have to renew the ratings etc in that region. Eg JAR ratings in Europe, Oz licences in Oz.... and so on. Only medicals can be renewed outside the region but they have to be done by someone approved by the respective country/regions' authority.
Eg I renewed my JAR medical in Oz but he was approved by the UK CAA.

strewth
20th Jun 2002, 00:52
If you come to Aus, I think you have to renew your IF with an Australian testing officer before you can use it, though you get to keep any multi-engine endorsements you might have. Keep in mind that in Australia, each and every twin has its own endorsement. There is no such thing over here as a "Multi Engine Endorsement"

Good luck