PDA

View Full Version : Full-time to Freelance FO Advice

Globally Challenged
22nd Sep 2015, 07:29
Hi

In an effort to regain some semblance of control over my own life, I am giving very serious consideration to quitting my full time job and doing some freelance work.

I have 2000TT with 1100+ on CL30 and I'm LPC'd till next September. All my training (Fire / first aid / CRM etc) is up to date.

Any advice in the following would be appreciated:

1 - I have been self-employed in another industry but I'm looking for any advice on avoiding any common pitfalls & pratfalls of being a freelance pilot.
2 - Some guidance on a sensible rate for RHS in a Challenger 300.
3 - Am I correct in assuming the client picks up the bill for airline positioning, HOTAC and per-diem
4 - For public transport, is it just a case of 1-2 flights with a company LTC to get OPC'd?

I think that covers my questions for now - thanks for any input.

Propellerpilot
22nd Sep 2015, 08:04
Which juristiction ?

e.g. EASA Ops has raised the requirements for freelancers to be operationally fully compliant (Full Operators conversion course etc.) so it is actually not so attractive any more to hire freelancers. This also implies, that even if your training is up to date, the company will have to cover all your training again and also send you to the Sim for an OPC followed by line training as specified in the OM-D - as you are experienced on type, this can be probably be done in 5 Sectors. (As for the OPC - I know some companies do it "on-type" - but it is cutting corners to save - what ?). With NCC-Ops manifesting itsself, these requirements will also start playing a role in Non Commercial Complex operations, although probably not as stringent.

Depending on where you operate and your home base, you will also have to charge VAT for your services rendered on top of your normal income tax. A good tax consultant may proove very useful !

When I do the math - freelancing is not really worth it in Europe any longer if you do things legally unless the services you provide are indispensible and extremely sought after - is this the case as a F.O. ? Normally experienced TRE Captains's for G650 etc. are more likely to be in those kind of positions.

maxed-out
22nd Sep 2015, 08:17
Globally Challenged,

New to freelancing but I'll try to answer your questions,

1. Pitfalls. You are responsible for your own recurrents/LPC's; so you could be out of pocket by a huge amount every year. There are deals to be had though if you enquire properly and are flexible. Secondly, you may find that if you offer your services to the company where you currently fly, that your services will be utilised less as you are costing the company more!

2. Don't know for that fleet. But circa £400/day as a guess.

3. Hotel, positioning and per diem paid.

4. Must do the OPC in the sim and line training.

mo

Globally Challenged
22nd Sep 2015, 08:59
Yes unfortunately I am in EASA land (UK)

Although I fortunately don't need to rely on this for all my income.

Hawker 800
23rd Sep 2015, 18:32
400 a day is way low for a super mid sized F/O. We pay 700 per day for Hawker F/O's.

cambioso
23rd Sep 2015, 19:40
"We pay 700 per day for Hawker F/O's."

Whaaaaaaat!!!
Shirley you can't be serious......