PDA

View Full Version : East Midlands

egnxema
21st Sep 2015, 18:59
August pax figures.

560,992 pax used the airport in August, a very significant 10.1% decrease compared to August 2014.

Is this mainly due to Monarch's exit from EMA?

The rolling year to date total is 4,482,092. Just a 0.8% increase on the previous year.

The increase for all UK airports is 5.3% year in year.

For YTD figures EMA is now ranked 11th, all airports in the top 10 have very positive growth figures.

LEEDS APPROACH
21st Sep 2015, 19:58
Where is the usual EMA thread?

A drop like that is a deliberate strategy. Who are your owners again?

Perhaps they want an airport in the vicinity to be given a helping hand / not fail?

Failure of that airport would swing doors wide open to another airport's development that in time would hugely affect the mothership.

A drop like that is a deliberate strategy. BTW what happened to your Aer Lingus service?

TSR2
21st Sep 2015, 20:42
A drop like that is a deliberate strategy

Absolutely utter nonsense.

LEEDS APPROACH
21st Sep 2015, 21:13
You don't accept that owners of multiple nearby airports will adjust their airline deal strategy in response to competition airports? Then you are not living in the real world. A 10% swing is a huge, huge movement - you would accept? - Other airports growing rapidly. It's not like mag don't have some clout is it?

But I respect your opinion.

anna_list
21st Sep 2015, 22:05
Compared to last year there's the loss of Monarch, as previously mentioned.

Another factor that affected only August is that Ryanair operated 7.9% fewer movements than in August 2014.

The number of RYR movements in August 2015 was roughly equal to the number operated in July 2015, but in August 2014 and in August 2013 there was a peak in flights (about 4 legs per day). In August 2015 this extra peak didn't happen.

LEEDS APPROACH
21st Sep 2015, 22:56
That's not an alternative theory. That is the theory proven. Strategy of the owner. Airlines or routes don't just operate - they are paid to operate or not (dissuaded). Do you think mag could have paid Monarch to stay at EMA if they had wanted? Ryanair additional flights? Just let EI backtrack on their schedule? Sometimes there are bigger battles to be won (or lost). If mag wants increase mag gets increase.

Logohu
21st Sep 2015, 23:33
I think somebody has been reading too many James Bond novels lately. Why would MAG conspire to somehow stop passengers from using EMA ? Those passengers would be far more likely to use nearby BHX airport, than trek all the way to MAN.

Oh and another thing...airports don't pay airlines to use their facilities, its the other way around. Sure discounts/incentives may be offered here and there, but airport costs are only a tiny proportion of what it costs to fly an aircraft from A to B.

ATNotts
22nd Sep 2015, 07:06
LEEDS APPROACH

Not sure what your agenda is here. Whatever it is, as others have already suggested, the logic is flawed.

Passengers "lost" by EMA will be picked up, generally, by one of three airports. In order, these will be BHX (because of it's proximity and range of destinations), LBA, and finally, if the destination is available, Doncaster. None of these are MAG airports, so IF a strategy such as you are suggesting were in play, MAG would be cutting off their corporate nose to spite their face.

There has been over capacity on some bucket and spade routes at EMA for a while. The loss of Monarch, combined with the growth of capacity on some routes at BHX / LBA will have redressed the balance. Whilst airlines like the discounts that some airports offer to attract them, if they can't put adequate bums on seats at the right yield something will give, and in the summer just gone, this appears to have happened. I see it as short term blip, not a long term decline.

Anyway, please look at EMA in the round. There is more to EMA than self loading freight. Pure freight is a real success story here, and whilst I have no idea what the split is, I would guess that the cargo sector provides something close to half the revenue for EMA, and is probably one of the chief drivers for MAG investing in EMA.

By the way - as has already been mentioned, why is this thread being opened, when there is / was a perfectly adequate existing thread, which to the best of my knowledge hasn't been shut down?

LEEDS APPROACH
22nd Sep 2015, 07:59
I think somebody has been reading too many James Bond novels lately. Why would MAG conspire to somehow stop passengers from using EMA ? Those passengers would be far more likely to use nearby BHX airport, than trek all the way to MAN.

Oh and another thing...airports don't pay airlines to use their facilities, its the other way around. Sure discounts/incentives may be offered here and there, but airport costs are only a tiny proportion of what it costs to fly an aircraft from A to B.

Quite how a company's decision making and strategy adjustment in response to competition is "out of a James Bond novel" I'm not sure! MAN changed their strategy from dissuading the low cost model to encouraging it. That decision affected the competition. Completely normal industrial posturing the world over. Is coca cola v pepsi out of a novel? Are the squabblings LHR v LGW out of a novel? - No. Dog eat Dog out there.

In the 1970/80s airlines used to pay airports to be there. These days the airports (of which there are too many in England) fight tooth and nail to get an airline on board. In real terms the airport pays the airline to be there - the over all deal. Look around the country - Cardiff, Bournemouth, LBA even Teesside had a go.

As for the rest - it's nothing to do with Birmingham. It's to prevent another 'Birmingham' from spawning. Nothing to do with pushing EMA passengers to MAN. Perhaps read my post again. If you cannot get it - no problem. Lose a battle to help win a bigger battle - normal industrial affair the world over.

No one has answered my question;

What happened to the EI service that was announced from EMA? Half the flights shifted up the road to help to an airport that seemingly cannot sustain a Belfast or Isle of Man Service? Why? Is this a blip or a decision. (btw It's a decision). Could the owner of EMA kept those EI flights in tact if they had wanted to?

Oh well - I'll get back to my novel.

ATNotts
22nd Sep 2015, 08:42
What happened to the EI service that was announced from EMA? Half the flights shifted up the road to help to an airport that seemingly cannot sustain a Belfast or Isle of Man Service? Why? Is this a blip or a decision. (btw It's a decision). Could the owner of EMA kept those EI flights in tact if they had wanted to?

OK, I'll have a stab.

The EI Dublin service at EMA is up against it's own multi daily service from BHX, just down the road, and Ryanair. The EMA catchment is comparatively small, compared with BHX. Doncaster is further away from BHX, and the road / rail access to LBA is dreadful, giving Doncaster less competition on the Dublin route.

As for MAG "keeping these flights", it is not in the gift of MAG to "keep" EI. They (Aer Lingus) have to make a profit, and if the yields aren't there they will move the capacity to where it is. In case of doubt. Aer Lingus are continuing to operate through EMA this winter.

I'm not sure just how big a role you think that airports have in retaining traffic / carriers. They can always attract them, but keeping them, when any incentives have expired, is down to the economics of the airline, not the airport.

LEEDS APPROACH
22nd Sep 2015, 10:32
That a good stab! Naive but good.

TSR2
22nd Sep 2015, 11:52
Absolutely spot on ATNotts.

nigel osborne
22nd Sep 2015, 15:47
In light of BHX and MAN seemingly getting new routes IE MAN Vueling,IBX and BHX Vueling, IBX and Wizz announced recently amongst others.

The lack of news from EMA is puzzling.

Is there a strategy here for the MAG group.. funnel new passenger flts to MAN and just use EMA for freight, or are FR and Jet 2 going to announce big expansion for next year out of EMA?

Most of the new freight flts seem to being sent by MAG to STN as well ?

Mr Angry from Purley
22nd Sep 2015, 17:12
Sat 26th Sept EMA 50th anniversary. 1515-1600LT
Flypast by DC3, A109, Spitfire,Eastern J41, Atlantic 737F and DHL B757F :\

egnxema
22nd Sep 2015, 17:19
I searched for the existing thread, but couldn't find it on any of the 3 pages.

I suspect as nothing had been posted for a while it had slipped down the rankings and dropped off the bottom?

Happy for mods to merge this thread with the previous one if it still is open.

spitfirealex
22nd Sep 2015, 18:25
I don't understand that while the likes of Liverpool, Leeds Bradford, Doncaster and Bristol have been able to expand by attracting the likes of KLM, Vueling and Wizzair in recent years, EMA has if anything lost variety on routes and continued to lack any real growth or major investment.

LEEDS APPROACH
22nd Sep 2015, 19:23
Sorry but I have explained it in my opening reply. It is not about holding EMA back it is about giving another airport a helping hand.

AerRyan
22nd Sep 2015, 19:29
Have the EI flights been cancelled? Bookable for me?

SWBKCB
22nd Sep 2015, 19:39
So MAG are disadvantaging EMA to help DSA to stop Leeds East developing?

Deep, LA, deep!

And what did happen to the EI service?

Ringwayman
22nd Sep 2015, 19:46
It is not about holding EMA back it is about giving another airport a helping hand.

Errmm you mean the Number One airport outside London? I didn't realise that Monarch moved all the aircraft they based at EMA and shunted them off to MAN instead. Oh. My mistake, Monarch PULLED 3 aircraft from MAN. Wouldn't you say that has had a dramatic effect there? The idea that passenger numbers are increasing at 3 times the increase in seat capacity reflects well on MAN.

The full aircraft on SV and CX equate to something like 1200 passengers being carried on 4 flights. You'd be hard pressed to get 3 return flights each operating 100% loads on each and every flight for low-cost carriers and even then it's still less than the SV/CX combine.

Besides, you seem to have forgotten that Manchester Airport Group is not the sole preserve of the Greater Manchester councils. They are also answerable to the Australians. I hardly think they would be appreciative of getting an airport to running at a loss to "bolster" the already very profitable performance of the main airport in the group.

Most of the new freight flts seem to being sent by MAG to STN as well ?

Which freight flights were slated to come into MAN or EMA but ended up at STN instead? I'm struggling to think of them.

BKS Air Transport
22nd Sep 2015, 19:55
Apologies if I've misunderstood you Ringwayman, but I feel you've missed LA's point. SWBKCB has it spot on.

PS and by the same logic shouldn't MAN disadvantage itself so as to give LBA a helping hand, as that will further stop Leeds East developing?

Oh, and I think Elvis is still alive...

Ringwayman
22nd Sep 2015, 20:12
so MAG would hinder their performance to help a rival airport group which would ultimately help MAG because the airport being run down would then be able to be expanded with less competition? Sorry, someone appears to have had 1 sherbert dip too many tonight.

Think I may have been thrown by this line Failure of that airport would swing doors wide open to another airport's development that in time would hugely affect the mothership.

Everybody bar 1 person seems to understand that Church Fenton is irrelevant. No airline will operate there for a long while. The cost of redeveloping Church Fenton would preclude the likes of Ryanair from even spending more a second thinking of operating there as the redevelopment costs would need to be bourne by either (a) the passengers through some kind of levy or (b) airlines though sky high charges.

Barnstable
23rd Sep 2015, 03:16
I can't see another EMA thread anywhere so sorry if this has been referred to before.

I saw that the a new link from East Midlands Parkway has been established, basically a cab company co-operating with EMA and East Midlands Trains. Traveling from Sheffield, this in theory looks a lot easier than taking the train to Derby then a slow stopping bus to EMA and I'm tempted to try it next time I travel to EMA.

The picture on the website appears to show a large car - I presume it's a minibus we're talking about - HOME - EMARailink (http://www.emarailink.co.uk/)

EastMids
23rd Sep 2015, 13:51
I get the distinct impression from people inside that MAG is content to let EMA tick along rather than proactively try to grow the airport. The main focus at group level, perhaps understandably, seems very much on building up STN, and on the forthcoming development of MAN. Added to which, some of the local management resources have been transferred to group level as cost cutting measures over the last few years. The "loss" of the second EI service has made no contribution to the -10%, because it wasn't there last year. Monarch disappearing and Ryanair not offering so many extras this August have undoubtedly impacted the figures.

Added to which, with all of the passenger eggs very much in the low-cost carrier basket where operators are known to be fickle when it comes to long term loyalty to an airport, there seems to be an aversion to risking upsetting the incumbents by bringing in new carriers. It would not be the first time that offering incentives to a newcomer cause a long standing operator to throw its toys out of the pram!

The increased capacity of the DHL facility, currently under construction, is undoubtedly good news on the express logistics side. Do remember though that EMA has very little regular pure cargo other than express and mail, and nothing but occasional ad-hoc during the daytime. The introduction of new freight operators seems to be a little problematic because [at least some of] the handling agents don't want to bring in staff during the daytime to turn a single cargo flight, and don't need the extra business at night when they are already busy and the aprons congested. DHL of course have a special handling unit, but it is geared to ad-hoc rather than regular scheduled cargo flights.

turbroprop
23rd Sep 2015, 16:33
EastMids

Why not do some research before you post.

CARGO - EMA does very well out of its cargo operation.

Fact - there are actually two cargo aprons.

Fact - As well as DHL, TNT, Royal Mail, FedEx plus others all use EMA

Fact - Most of night time Cargo Flights are scheduled flights. The operators run a very tight schedule and the on time dispatch rate would put any pax operator to shame.

It would not surprise me if the actual cargo aircraft movement we on par with the pax aircraft movements.

The ratio of large aircraft being operated by the Cargo Airlines is greater than the Pax operators. ie A300, B747, B757, B767, B777 and AN24. So the airport will generate a nice little earner from the landing fees for these aircraft.

Another benefit is cargo is labour intensive so more people are employed at the airport due to the cargo operation than the pax side of things. Thus the expansion at DHL is most welcome as it will create jobs.

On the pax side of things compare the UK to many other counties and it is obvious we have too many airports competing for a finite amount of punters. If one airport gains some routes it will be at the expense of another airport.

As for the airport management. They are professional people and as such would like the business to be successful. I am sure they try dam hard to attract operators to their airports. I do not think they get out of bed thinking how can a screw EMA, BOH and other airports within the group in favour on MAN.

SWBKCB
23rd Sep 2015, 18:16
Turboprop - suggest you read EastMids post again.

ATNotts
24th Sep 2015, 07:17
I think that's a bit harsh!

In fact turboprop has made some concise valid and accurate points with regard to EMA and cargo. Many posters in these forums forget completely about cargo, and it's importance as both a revenue stream, and employer of many hundred of people - all that seems to matter is bums on seats.

I would say that, contrary to what Eastmids wrote, EMA has a thriving adhoc business, whether it be AN124 carrying RR engines, the F1 business, with 747 freighters, during the season, or relief flights.

I don't know what the tonnage of adhoc cargo us per annum, but I wouldn't mind taking a stab that it is a deal more than BHX, which benefits from many more adhoc flights, but most of them are operated using much smaller equipment (AN26, Saab 340, AN12). As BHX seem incapable of giving the CAA accurate figures we may never know for certain!

I would however agree with Eastmids - there is far too great a dependence upon lo-co and "bucket and spade" passenger services, and this will hold back growth on this sector of the business.

EastMids
24th Sep 2015, 08:29
turboprop: Why not do some research before you post.

Well that was a bit bizarre! :ugh: None the less, I agree with all of your points while at the same time you have managed to refute nothing that I said! :rolleyes:

Ah well, a bit more clarification maybe, first passenger...

Some years ago, EMA threw its hat into the low-cost ring. Undoubtedly an exciting sector at the time, and one which has grown steadily since, it may well have been the right decision at the time. However, the embracing of firstly Go, then later Ryanair etc cast the full service offer at the airport to the wolves. What full service network EMA had went down the drain as the incumbent carrier was forced to respond. Many of the business passengers - particularly those flew to Europe to connect to further afield - transferred their travel to Birmingham, got used to the drive down the M42, and have never come back. The net result is that EMA now has a network of low-cost routes that would have been undreamed of before the LCCs came along, but it has virtually no full service network. And it is the passengers using the full service carriers, connecting in places like AMS, CDG and FRA that come back through good times and bad - such business passengers are not as fickle as those on low-cost and charter carriers who might one year go to Prague, the next to Malaga, and the year after no where at all.

The airport is therefore now very dependent on the low-cost carriers it already has. Imagine what the airport would look like without the two big LCCs that shore up the numbers day in day out. The problem is that these carriers will terminate routes at the drop of a hat, unlike the full service carriers who tend to stick with things through thick and thin (at least as far as they can). It is therefore vital that EMA does not upset its LCCs.

BHX has recently added Norwegian, Vueling, Wizz Air and Iberia Express to its portfolio. A year or two ago, these carriers might have been seen to be a shoe-in for EMA rather than BHX, but it became very obvious a while ago that BHX had decided to chase the low-cost market. BHX previously shunned the sector as it didn't want to clog up or dilute their offer, which was providing a good experience for the scheduled business passenger. But the airport's management realised that if they could get the LCCs into the shoulders or low periods of the day (rather than the peaks like slot one) they could accommodate them without adversely impacting their full service market.

The end result is that BHX can be fairly aggressive when courting LCCs, whilst EMA has to tread a little more carefully so as to not upset those airlines it already has. Add to that the catchment area advantage BHX has in comparison to EMA (especially for Wizz which is already embedded at Doncaster and Luton, both of which can fairly easily be reached from the East Midlands), and EMA is a little bit stuck in the middle. It lacks the facilities and network to attract full service carriers, it does not have the global connectivity network to woo the business traveler, and the low-cost carriers have mopped up the leisure travel that used to contribute a little something to the back of the bus on the full service airlines.

Secondly cargo...

As far as DHL / UPS / TNT / Royal Mail are concerned, EMA has undoubtedly done extremely well. However, Royal Mail is slowly declining, and the growth in express logistics is hampered by the airport's location. EMA lost one of its original transatlantic UPS flights, which was transferred to STN because the cut-off times for collections down south were too early given that the cargo had to be trucked 120 miles up the M1.

In terms of DHL, its a great ongoing success story and a credit to the airport, but EMA has undoubtedly been helped by the problems DHL encountered with its hub in Brussels. Had that hub been able to grow or even continue at past volumes, I suggest DHL EMA would not be as big as it is now and the network would be more restricted. Unfortunately, the UK is too far west to be a true European hub for express, so as far as DHL is concerned EMA has to share the role with Leipzig. Leipzig, Cologne and Liege are all bigger than EMA for express logistics, primarily because of the geographical advantage being situated in mainland Europe provides.

Still, its a good story and despite the geographical constraints that no one can solve I'm sure it will continue to thrive.

ATNotts: I would say that, contrary to what Eastmids wrote, EMA has a thriving adhoc business, whether it be AN124 carrying RR engines, the F1 business, with 747 freighters, during the season, or relief flights.

Lucrative maybe, but hardly something the airport can depend on. Bread and butter is scheduled cargo, and as I said before, with the exception of express logistics and mail (the definition turborprop dismally failed to appreciate), EMA has practically none. As far as I am aware, the only regular operation that falls outside of express and mail is the fish from Iceland, and even that aircraft is turned into the express market each night after it arrives at EMA. The only other regular scheduled bulk cargo operation EMA has had in recent years was the twice-weekly Kalitta 747 which stopped when the airline found it could get better rates from flying for Uncle Sam than it could from operating an independent cargo service. And unsurprisingly EMA's figures for cargo carried on passenger services is hardly stellar - 8 tonnes in 2014 according to the CAA!

And there is another important point I made earlier - attracting a regular scheduled bulk cargo service in the middle of the day is a little problematic because few of the handling agents want the work. DHL and Aviation Solutions do handle the adhoc cargo demand very well, but they do not seem want to bring staff in for a single regular two hour turnround outside of their normal shifts, and they are not keen on the business at night because they already have a lot to handle.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely appreciate EMA has done very well over the years to build the express and mail business to the point where it is the biggest pure-freighter airport in the UK, and the DHL extension being constructed right now underpins further expansion of the business.

Finally, I reiterate my point that the impression I get (and I'm not just trying to pluck ideas out of the air) is that MAG is at the moment prepared to let EMA just tick over, doing what it does fairly well but not driving for major growth in any sector. A number of management resources were transferred to group level, and most of the thinking and investment is going into STN and MAN - STN to rebuild the market at MAN with its huge development programme. I'm not suggesting staff at EMA are idle or trying to run down the business, just that the main focus of the MAG group at the moment isn't EMA. I am really not trying to be negative either in what I originally wrote or this response, just trying to explain a few things and maybe put a bit of realism into the equation.

ATNotts
24th Sep 2015, 09:52
EastMids

So far as the lo-co market is concerned, there is a limit to the number of new destinations that will provide the volume and yield that the likes of Ryanair and Jet2 require for their business models, and sooner or later, and I think it's sooner rather than later, EMA will reach saturation point on the old faithfuls like Malaga and Palma. BHX has in recent years under served these markets, but the pendulum would appear to be swinging back westwards, to the detriment of EMA.

Unfortunately, the UK is too far west to be a true European hub for express, so as far as DHL is concerned EMA has to share the role with Leipzig. Leipzig, Cologne and Liege

This is very true; you can't be a major logistics hub on the extreme edges of the market geographically - but DHL is giving it a darn good go despite the UK's geographical limitations.

And unsurprisingly EMA's figures for cargo carried on passenger services is hardly stellar - 8 tonnes in 2014 according to the CAA!

Given that the overwhelming majority of passenger services are operated by carriers that don't want freight, it's quite amazing that 8 tonnes were carried on scheduled PAX flights - I might have expected nearer 800 kg!

MAG is at the moment prepared to let EMA just tick over

I doubt it's quite as simple as that; more likely the management has been given financial targets to maximise profit, rather than chase passenger numbers, so growing that side of the business organically whilst putting the investment into the core business, which is cargo (and the integrators in particular).

EastMids
24th Sep 2015, 13:02
Undoubtedly ATNotts, vibes suggests there's a "we've spent money [at EMA], now we need the returns" thrown in there as well - money on things like an extension to the terminal for an enlarged security screening area, before anyone asks. DHL say that they themselves are putting £90m into the EMA hub, so MAG can't be spending so much there. But EMA has chased business such as the LCCs that isn't hugely profitable, and has deployed tactics such as drop off fees, express security lanes, etc to help swell the coffers. Even so, aside from DHL there's not much sign of investment on the horizon, other than more car parks!!!

I think it's sooner rather than later, EMA will reach saturation point on the old faithfuls like Malaga and Palma. BHX has in recent years under served these markets, but the pendulum would appear to be swinging back westwards, to the detriment of EMA

Not so much saturation point at EMA, more that BHX is opening up to LCCs and travelers from their catchment area will increasingly fly local rather than drive up the M42 to get a cheap flight.

LAX_LHR
13th Oct 2015, 19:48
East Midlands about to get a 2 weekly Islamabad link from Shaheen Air using A330 from 1st March.

ShaheenAir Booking And Flights Information - Shaheen Agents (http://www.mushtaqtravel.co.uk/blog/shaheen-air-launch-flights-to-pakistan-from-uk)

eggc
13th Oct 2015, 19:52
WOW...did not see that one coming. Would have put my house on BHX. MAG done a good job of a group deal here it looks.

adfly
13th Oct 2015, 21:19
Interesting! I wonder if they will also serve STN in the near future assuming it doest cannibalise EMA too much?

ATNotts
14th Oct 2015, 06:55
East Midlands about to get a 2 weekly Islamabad link from Shaheen Air using A330 from 1st March.

ShaheenAir Booking And Flights Information - Shaheen Agents (http://www.mushtaqtravel.co.uk/blog/shaheen-air-launch-flights-to-pakistan-from-uk)

I'd be a little more confident when the airline itself announces these routes. There's diddly squat on their website relating to any international routes apart from to destinations around The Gulf and to China, and looking at their "about us" tab, no ambition to serve Europe.

Of course, things change - but let's not count those chickens just yet.

LAX_LHR
14th Oct 2015, 07:24
According to Shaheen air, tickets will be on sale 1st Nov for MAN/EMA

Trev4521
17th Jul 2017, 20:25
Why is there no information on the above topic(East Midlands Airport) used to be on it, but no longer

canberra97
17th Jul 2017, 23:14
If you google the subject your find they have been and gone but the airline never touched EMA.

Trev4521
18th Jul 2017, 11:01
Regarding Ema, and competition Bhx are expanding A380 to Dxb twice daily starting later this year, Qatar to Doh, in the eastmidlands we have a great catchment area and the population in East midlands are are multicultural, meaning the population can have a big say in where we fly to ( Indian,Pakistani,Chinese) to name a couple we have the people to fly to Asia etc but no flights they only fly from Bhx, when will we expand?.When Mag took over Ema the Chairman stated that Ema would have scheduled flights to Usa, that was approx 10 years ago!!!!

ATNotts
19th Jul 2017, 09:04
Regarding Ema, and competition Bhx are expanding A380 to Dxb twice daily starting later this year, Qatar to Doh, in the eastmidlands we have a great catchment area and the population in East midlands are are multicultural, meaning the population can have a big say in where we fly to ( Indian,Pakistani,Chinese) to name a couple we have the people to fly to Asia etc but no flights they only fly from Bhx, when will we expand?.When Mag took over Ema the Chairman stated that Ema would have scheduled flights to Usa, that was approx 10 years ago!!!!

That's the sort of nonsense that businesses come up with when they want to make some news. Perhaps that's a bit harsh, it's the PR consultants that organisations like MAG employ to "make news" for them.

EMA suffer the same problem that BHX has - BHX being equidistant from LHR and MAN and as a result it's long haul prospects are stifled. EMA's therefore are even further squeezed. On short haul, EMA has always struggled in more recent years to hold on to full service carriers as the offer from BHX is so strong, and is left with bucket and spade traffic, and as the airport has catered for this market segment for so long it's offering to business travelers isn't really that great.

All I can see with HS2 coming along is further seeping of business and commerce westward towards Birmingham, in the same was as sadly, contrary to the Government's stated aims, HS2 will such business and commerce from Birmingham towards London.

Cargo is where EMA thrives, and will continue to unless / until idiots in local government try to limit night time ops.

G-FORZ
13th Aug 2017, 20:29
Anyone know why border control at EMA have a problem with 'Zipped' clear 20cm x 20cm liquid container bags? My understanding is the containers should be 'resealable' is a zip not a sealing mechanism? Wife and sister in law both stopped with zipped clear plastic holders - no problem with size, just that they were zipped , told to transfer to another bag. There was more fuss about the bag than the liquids. Not had this at any other uk airport.

munster
13th Aug 2017, 21:04
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/overview
I guess it depends on their definition of resealable.

AerRyan
13th Aug 2017, 21:19
Border control?

anthbower1234
14th Aug 2017, 16:35
HRG back with TCX

Trev4521
3rd Oct 2017, 21:34
I see or don't that Ema has gone off the Rumors/News again, is nothing happening there?

cornishsimon
4th Oct 2017, 02:13
Well a shed load of freight comes in and out most nights.

ematom1
5th Oct 2017, 16:23
On the freight news
FedEx has a daily flight using a 757 EMA-Liege-EMA
DHL has upgraded the daily Cincinnati fight to a Aerologic 777

Balair
6th Oct 2017, 17:58
Now FDX are starting to use their own equipment through EMA, I wonder what their plans might be going forward? Would they possibly consider a mini hub there, expanding upon what TNT had?
For instance the FDX 5203/4 MAN-BHX-CDG could be moved to operate just through, and day stopping at EMA, trucking the freight to BHX and MAN, which is what DHL and UPS do presumably?

NutLoose
7th Oct 2017, 21:38
I see or don't that Ema has gone off the Rumors/News again, is nothing happening there?

The pot holes around the roads by DHL are taking on third world dimensions. Not exactly an endorsement for those flying from there and trying to get to the carparks, it makes you wonder what the rest of the airport is like.

nuisance79
24th Oct 2017, 13:51
Any news on further additional Winter/summer 2018 destinations considering the situation with Monarch/BHX.

It appears that NCE will no longer be served by any Midlands Airport. I recall up until a few years back there it was a popular route from EMA for bother Winter and Summer however, MON had an A321 based out of BHX operating it which of course wont be happening next season.

Mooncrest
24th Oct 2017, 17:39
It's the sort of route that Jet2 might pick up from either Birmingham or East Midlands. The airline has operated it from the beginning from Leeds Bradford and it has been three times a week this summer. One to watch out for.

FQTLSteve
25th Oct 2017, 14:22
Nice was served before Monarch by BMI Baby from BHX.

kgoodall
25th Oct 2017, 18:40
I believe BMI Baby served Nice from EMA too. I also recall flying from Nice to Coventry with ThomsonFly also.

Balair
2nd Nov 2017, 17:46
It seems that the long awaited new facility for UPS at East Midlands is a step closer. They have submitted a planning application for a sizeable new hub, to be located at the Eastern end of the airport. The plans can be viewed on the planning section of North West Leicestershire District Council, Application No. 17/01515/FULM.

egnxema
26th Nov 2017, 22:09
I see that West Atlantic have announced moving their UK base to EMA and have taken hangar space here.

canberra97
27th Nov 2017, 17:34
Yes it was announced on the 23 November.

canberra97
27th Nov 2017, 17:35
UK's Atlantic Airlines switches main hub to East Midlands

23NOV2017
West Atlantic UK Ltd, the UK division of European cargo operator West Atlantic Group, has relocated its main operational hub from Coventry Airport to East Midlands Airport.

The freight specialist said in a statement the move was driven by a need to find increased space to accommodate its Atlantic Airlines (UK) (NPT, Coventry) unit's growing fleet of B737 freighters (six B737-300(F)s and ten B737-400(F)s) and the fact that many of West Atlantic’s customers are based at East Midlands ...

Robert-Ryan
20th Dec 2017, 12:47
Does EMA have any issues with East Midlands Helicopters operating from a site located on their extended centreline? It may well be far enough away but why I'm asking is the Great North Air Ambulance have applied for planning permission for a new base at the end of Durham Tees Valley Airports runway (literally right at the end), and the airport have naturally objected to it and it's causing a fuss, so I wanted to see how a similar operation works

almost professional
20th Dec 2017, 14:14
Costock is over 4 miles east, though still within the CTR, and by and large no issues, but obviously not the potential priority circumstances. we also have a Medevac base on the airfield and that seems to work well, both Pilots and ATCOs know what the other needs and we get the job done.

Spiney Norman
20th Dec 2017, 14:22
R-R.
I would suggest that the thing that should be considered re-Teesside would be that Air Ambulance operations will often be at a high flight priority. This would/could mean that aircraft have to be held or broken off approaches due to an Air Ambulance launch. Of course, this would depend on the exact location of the proposed Air Ambulance site which I’m not familiar with. Costock is used by ‘normal’ helicopter ops which would have minimal effect, even if the site there were on a short final/very close to the upwind of the departing runway.

Oops! I see AP has covered this. I really must type quicker!

egnxema
23rd Dec 2017, 13:18
November EMA reported 221,850 pax. An increase of 19.8% compared to NOV16

The rolling year to date passenger total is 4,855,711. This is a 4.4% increase on the year to NOV16

A 4.4% increase again in the next 12 months would see annual pax figures return to above five million.

BHX5DME
23rd Dec 2017, 13:27
EMA was closed at weekend in November 2016 - so 20% up is very misleading.

If you take the November 2015 figure which was 220,694 then compare this to November 2017, then the gain was under 1,200 pax !

Plane.Silly
17th Jan 2018, 06:45
Extra Services from Jet2, over the summer holidays (27th July to 3rd Sep)

Extra IBZ/HER/DLM/AYT and a new BJV flight.

Nice to see some growth here compared to BHX/STN, albeit very small and brief

PAXboy
30th Jan 2018, 23:47
The Independent 30th Jan 2018.

The secret code that lets you get a surprise engagement ring through airport security | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/surprise-engagement-secret-ring-proposal-code-valentines-day-east-midlands-airport-a8184266.html)

Balair
23rd Feb 2018, 17:14
Planning permission has been granted for the new UPS logistics hub, which is to be built to the East of the Eastern apron.
The airport have previously spoken about demolishing the existing UPS hub to free up space for additional stands on the central apron, but considering the current and projected growth of freight at EMA, is it likely that it will now be retained for the medium term and offered to FDX or even Amazon?
There have been rumours circulating to that effect.

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
23rd Feb 2018, 18:43
and DHL are rumoured to be looking at extending again further to the west even though they've only just finished the existing expansion

Keyvon
28th Mar 2018, 19:45
New for S19 are Santorini & Faro with TUI.

Paul Atkins144
29th Mar 2018, 11:51
I don know that the ramp is being extended they are taking some of jet parks 2 over

EastMids
29th Mar 2018, 14:39
I don know that the ramp is being extended they are taking some of jet parks 2 over

Jet Parks 2 is being extended in the area adjacent to JCB and the DHL apron - not reduced - to take account of the spaces lost in Long Stay 1A as part of the corporate hangar development. As of now no plans have been submitted to extend the DHL apron.

LGS6753
13th Apr 2018, 16:46
I recently used EMA for the first time in about 20 years. I'm afraid I wasn't impressed. The owners seem to be trying to extend the aviation offering without themselves investing, and the end result is, from a passenger point of view, poor. The airport is obviously operating at above its comfortable capacity (in mid-April), so in summer it will be a place to avoid.

My main gripes are:
- UK Border area far too small
- essentially outdoor covered walkways airside not fit for purpose
- extremely limited and uncompetitive retail offering in both departures and arrivals
- poor signposting around the airport estate
- shabby and visually unappealing buildings

In comparison, I was very impressed by Liverpool Airport, which is a similar size in terms of passenger throughput.

Time for a bit of serious investment. In the meantime Mrs LGS won't be booking EMA flights.

Stu707
13th Apr 2018, 18:34
Whilst the Airport Building isn't that appealing and agree it needs some investment it does what is required, as long as you arrive check in and board your flight what more do you want, if Liverpool appeals more then by all means use Liverpool but I for one wouldn't think of using anywhere but EMA as it suits my requirements

I suppose when MAG feel the time is right they will invest in the terminal facilities
In the meantime it serves it's purpose

22/04
13th Apr 2018, 18:49
The time will be right when they can make enough out of retail to cover their investment I would say.

There are those who like me like to buy their daughter Joe Malone perfume etc. when going though an airport I suppose- and those who aren't bothered.

ATNotts
13th Apr 2018, 21:51
Whilst the Airport Building isn't that appealing and agree it needs some investment it does what is required, as long as you arrive check in and board your flight what more do you want, if Liverpool appeals more then by all means use Liverpool but I for one wouldn't think of using anywhere but EMA as it suits my requirements

I suppose when MAG feel the time is right they will invest in the terminal facilities
In the meantime it serves it's purpose

For as long as the airport is catering for leisure travelers, with few if any front end passengers, there really is no incentive to smarten up / improve the facilities. What's more, for as long as one of your two major clients is an airline that considers paying for airport facilities somehow isn't their responsibility it's difficult to justify spending money for real tangible developments.

Thankfully for EMA, cargo is a completely different kettle of fish, as it is a major base for all the major global integrators, who appreciate the requirements for top class handling facilities to satisfy their blue chip global customers.

ematom1
15th Apr 2018, 09:11
Speaking of cargo - Etihad cargo have added a Saturday morning rotation to the existing Tuesday evening, using the 777f Columbus-EMA-Frankfurt upping to 2 weekly

ematom1
26th Apr 2018, 21:13
Jet2 new route - Burgas for summer 19 1 weekly begins May 07th 2019

fjencl
25th Jun 2018, 14:31
Here is the East Midlands you were looking for.

Planespeaking
25th Jun 2018, 14:36
Here is the East Midlands you were looking for.

Thankyou, but still a very quiet thread for a reasonably vibrant airport.

sixchannel
25th Jun 2018, 18:48
Thankyou, but still a very quiet thread for a reasonably vibrant airport.
Looks like my post on your original thread didn't make it to here.
Having grown weary of BHX and its business model of treating its customers as badly as possible, for 2019 i have replaced my LS1229/30 flights with EMA flights LS613/4. The pricing is slightly dearer but, deep joy, the dep dep time is mid morning and not late afternoon. Also the car oarking cost is very reasonable and access, certainly via the A42 looks a doddle.
Whats not to like?

Balair
8th Jul 2018, 17:23
Future Ramp Space

With the continued rapid expansion of freight volumes through EMA, it seems strange that the new UPS hub is being sited so as to prevent any future Easterly extension of the Eastern cargo ramp (apart from a small addition for which planning permission has been granted).
I would have thought that a N-S alignment of the facility closer to the A453 would have been possible, which would then have offered greater flexibility for additional ramp provision in the future?
I know there are many considerations which have obviously influenced the final decision, such as UPS seeing their short term freight volume increases being carried by larger equipment rather than additional flights, and the proposed alignment of the new facility allowing easy linear expansion in the future, but there must surely come a time in the not too distant future when addition cargo ramp space will be required?
There is obviously scope for further expansion of the DHL facility and the Western ramp, but is anyone aware of how the airport are looking to accommodate future expansion by the other/new carriers?

Balair

Trev4521
9th Jul 2018, 21:19
Future Ramp Space

With the continued rapid expansion of freight volumes through EMA, it seems strange that the new UPS hub is being sited so as to prevent any future Easterly extension of the Eastern cargo ramp (apart from a small addition for which planning permission has been granted).
I would have thought that a N-S alignment of the facility closer to the A453 would have been possible, which would then have offered greater flexibility for additional ramp provision in the future?
I know there are many considerations which have obviously influenced the final decision, such as UPS seeing their short term freight volume increases being carried by larger equipment rather than additional flights, and the proposed alignment of the new facility allowing easy linear expansion in the future, but there must surely come a time in the not too distant future when addition cargo ramp space will be required?
There is obviously scope for further expansion of the DHL facility and the Western ramp, but is anyone aware of how the airport are looking to accommodate future expansion by the other/new carriers?

Balair

I do not think further expansion has been seriously looked at, thinking of comments being made re flights to China? this came into the public domain when Bhx had the plug pulled on a scheduled flight to China, and now there is the major development with the new infastructure of buildings and a rail link as well for freight, but not for passengers, but i will wait and see on future news.

EastMids
9th Jul 2018, 21:43
Future Ramp Space

A permitted development for small addition to the eastern edge of Cargo East was accepted by NW Leicestershire as far back as 2010 and not done so far. Further extensions to Cargo East challenging due to the rise in the alpha taxiway towards the whiskey / alpha holds, and now ruled out by UPS development anyway. Given UPS was predicated on no extra flights in the short term at least it might be insensive to start laying concrete at that end of the airport right now. But it doesn't take a genius to work out where additional apron could go when / if it was needed.