PDA

View Full Version : Doublespeak from the BAA

M.Mouse
17th Jun 2002, 16:14
I have just read in an article in the BA News that the BAA are considering charging people who drop friends and family outside terminal buildings at Heathrow. The initiative is designed to 'reduce congestion'.

Why don't they stop treating airport users as stupid and admit that it is a good wheeze to squeeze more money from customers who have little alternative? Much like Ken Livingstone's London 'congestion charging' the effect on congestion will be minimal.

Keef
17th Jun 2002, 16:33
The objective is to relieve the victims of more money. Very simple.

Easy to do - just charge to enter the road that goes up to the terminal. The victims won't even notice.

Revolution, anyone?

Notso Fantastic
17th Jun 2002, 16:56
Can they charge on a public highway? If the Central Area road is private BAA property, then are the Police prosecutions still valid for road transport infringements there? Seems to me they can't have it both ways.

M.Mouse
17th Jun 2002, 17:32
I believe that the UK Road Traffic ACt even applies airside at LHR.

I think they do have it both ways. Now that's a suprise.

Keef
17th Jun 2002, 19:29
I got into that "Where does the Road Traffic Act apply?" thing at work about 10 years ago. It's a mess (like most laws).

If the public "could" drive there, it's public highway and the act applies. Even if there are big "private - no entry" signs. Unless there's a closed gate and a guard, it's public highway. A "pay £1" gate doesn't stop it being public highway.

But the landowner can still charge you for access to it.

So, yes, they *can* have it both ways, Don't blame me - I left all this nonsense for the sane world I now live and work in.