PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: an iapp for sending current gps position

Capn Bloggs
19th Sep 2015, 05:47
Family member going overseas shortly, I'd like to install a simple app that they can send/share their GPS position via Wifi back to home. Many apps on App store but would appreciate any suggestions. They have an iphone 4s so I don't know whether their posit can be sent without an app?

Keef
19th Sep 2015, 08:17
There are two apps that will do what you want as long as the phone is connected to a network.

Both will only work from another iDevice though, and only when interrogated. The one I use is "Find My Friends". I think it's native to iOS, but if not it's on the App Store.

Agent86
19th Sep 2015, 11:26
Try Glympse
Glympse (http://glympse.com/)
Versions available for your green man things as well.

Capn Bloggs
20th Sep 2015, 05:49
Thanks troops; Glimpse looks good. :ok:

Capn Bloggs
26th Sep 2015, 02:33
Dang. Glympse needs a mobile data connection. I'm looking for an app that uses Wifi (and GPS posi) only.

Agent86
26th Sep 2015, 07:37
Bloggs, it works fine via Wifi..you just have to send it via an email rather than a SMS. You can set up favourites on the ipad home page so one press will fire off an email with your location to track.

Capn Bloggs
26th Sep 2015, 07:51
OK, I'll try that, 86. My technologically advanced 13yo son has pointed out that one can also send a Google Maps position using Skype, although Glympse would be simpler.

Sir Richard
26th Sep 2015, 07:59
"Line Here" is a new (August 2015) app available for Android, IOS and desktops. I believe it works over wifi. More information available with the usual seach engines. :8

Denti
26th Sep 2015, 08:50
As said above, Find my friends works quite well if you have a data connection. And you don't have to send your position yourself, your friends/family members can simply ask the app on their device to locate you and it does (again, data connection required).

Another onboard thing is to use the apple maps app, open it, find your location (arrow on the lower left side) and then send (icon upper right corner) that position either via imessage/sms or mail.

The slowest possible method is of course to open the compass app (native as well on the iPhone) and copy the gps position close to the bottom, open mail paste it into a new mail message and send that...

Capn Bloggs
28th Sep 2015, 05:12
Thanks for the fruther info. :ok:

izod tester
30th Sep 2015, 11:43
I use Viewranger as a gps and mapping tool. It has a "buddy beacon" feature which would do what you want. Viewranger works with open source on-line maps which you can cache onto your device or you can purchase map data for several countries.

Jhieminga
2nd Oct 2015, 15:08
Whatsapp is a messaging app (like iMessage) but with some additional functions. Works fine over Wifi and you have the option to send your location to other folks with the same app installed. You can also chat, send images across and call using the Wifi. Available for Android and iDevices.

Capn Bloggs
8th Oct 2015, 23:52
Thanks Jhieminga, I'll check that out also.

Mr Optimistic
9th Oct 2015, 20:28
Yep WhatsApp is great but it does require quite frequent refreshes for some reason

ChickenHouse
14th Oct 2015, 12:16
Could somebody help me understand the original question? If you are using iOS, it does have the "Find my iPhone" functionality, which is automatically sending the GPS position to your iCloud account. No need for any app, or did I get something wrong?

Capn Bloggs
14th Oct 2015, 14:19
Could somebody help me understand the original question?
I'll add the caveats: no data connection (except in wifi range), no i-anything at the receiver's end.