PDA

View Full Version : Buy Windows 10 abroad

NWSRG
17th Sep 2015, 21:55
Hi folks,

Has anyone purchased a US copy of W10 for use in the UK? Can it even be done?

I'm on Vista, so don't benefit from the free upgrade, but will be stateside soon. I'm guessing that MS have some means of preventing you using the product outside the region it was sold in, but thought I would ask anyway!

Looks like £99 against $119...so a few quid to be saved...

G0ULI
17th Sep 2015, 22:13
Shouldn't be a problem buying Windows 10 from the US over the Internet. Plenty of US companies are willing to ship stuff to the UK, some even offer free postage. It doesn't matter where you buy since you can customise the installation for any country, so you don't end up with a dollar or hash symbol every time you hit the pound key.

It isn't practical or reasonable to restrict the operating system to work in only the country where it was purchased. If that were the case, there would be no point in having portable computers. What does tend to happen is that the initial set up might assume you are using a US layout keyboard if you are using a US sourced copy of W10. You just select the right keyboard layout and country later if necessary once the software has been installed.

G0ULI
17th Sep 2015, 22:16
A quick Google search shows a UK company offering a download version of Windows 10 for £49.95. It appears to be legit. How much cheaper do you want?
Why wait? Apart from the Google search, I have no knowledge or connection with this company.

Bushfiva
17th Sep 2015, 23:47
Also, any mainstream version of Windows 10 can run in any language after installation.