PDA

View Full Version : Class one & hearing standards

Lando Calrissian
16th Sep 2015, 21:24
Just wondering if anyone has held a class one medical after major hearing loss in one ear? Are hearing aids allowed? Can you still hold a class one after developing deafness in one ear?

I asked these questions to my DAME recently and I couldn't get a straight answer out of him.

drpixie
16th Sep 2015, 23:17
CASA aren't completely opaque - though their usual out applies (Guidelines are not a statement about how CASA will proceed to make a decision in every case). Basically, if you meet the standard, looks like hearing assistance shouldn't be a problem. Or you can demonstrate that you can hear all that is required in an "operational test" (e.g. in flight).

see ENT (ear, nose, and throat) - Hearing Impairment (http://services.casa.gov.au/avmed/guidelines/ent_hearing.asp)

john_tullamarine
16th Sep 2015, 23:19
No idea what the current rules are or how they are applied .. but, back in AN days, we had a 767 skipper lose all hearing in the right ear due surgery.

Ended up with a hearing horn/tube from the region of the right ear over to the left and he was back on the line.

NoseGear
16th Sep 2015, 23:25
Check your PMs Lando

Arm out the window
17th Sep 2015, 08:56
If you can't pass the normal beep type testing, there are various hoops to jump through, but one possible process is that you can be approved to do an operational hearing test with an ATO where you get in the aircraft and prove you can operate in the air effectively.

CASA might not give the option to an individual based on their assessment of the circumstances and actual medical condition, but it's a possibility anyhow. I know they do this for degraded hearing, but not sure how applicable it is to full loss in one ear. Good luck anyhow.