PDA

View Full Version : VAT on Flying Training and Exams

Mowgli
17th Jun 2002, 11:17
I completed my licence training and exams just after Gordon Brown announced that flying courses etc would no longer be exempt from VAT. His excuse was that such courses were for wealthy private individuals and not those pursuing qualifications leading to a career in aviation. It is discouraging and wrong, and it is time that pressure was put on the treasury for a reversal of this outrageous decision. This post belongs here in reporting points, not with wannabees, because those of us who have made it through the assault course should do something to help those attempting it.

Please comment here, because I want more information so that I can go to my MP with evidence based on current views and experience. Does BALPA have a view on this, and are they doing anything about it?

timzsta
17th Jun 2002, 19:26
Thanks for the support Mowgli. I think allowing VAT on fuel to be claimed back on training flights is a good idea. We all know that most of the cost of all petroleum products is going into the Chancellors money chest - and we get very very little back in return.

I went to California to do my PPL, simply because even when taking into account getting flights and accomodation, it's alot cheaper. This deprives the UK flying clubs of business and given the numbers that are doing this, means less work for Instructors. Which actually means less money in the Chancellors coffers doesnt it! And this is a Chancellor who when on the Concorde which suffered an engine failure in the cruise last month was quoted as saying "I was impressed with the professionalism of the pilots".

But there are many other issues which those in "Student Pilot Union" post have talked about. Others include the possibility of the Government paying for ATPL theoretical courses. I read in a magazine a Dutch pilot can claim the cost of training to get his ATPL back against tax over a period of eight years. All things like need to be addressed, Europe is not the level playing field it should be.

Interesting you should mention writing to your MP because I was doing thinking of doing the same, but unfortunately my MP is not in the ruling party. If you would like to contact me so that perhaps we can make the same points, you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Young Paul
19th Jun 2002, 08:34
Well, I was one of the lucky "rich private individuals" who was part sponsored. My "wealthy" dad had sufficient equity in his house to allow me to secure a loan on it, and in my "well-paid" graduate job, living at home, I managed to save the £5000 that I needed to start with over the course of a year. I was then made redundant after the course, with a £13,500 bank loan. Not helped by the fact that my wife had also had to spend £3000 to buy out of a house she part-owned before we got married, due to negative equity.

Rich private individuals, no. They generally go to merchant banks or set up their own companies. Motivated people who will ignore obstacles like an additional cost of £10,000 to achieve a dream, yes.