PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building in South Africa ?

Bob Fleming
17th Jun 2002, 11:15
Anybody know anything about building hours in south africa?

Like which schools and what the rates are like? (esp twin rates). I'm looking to build up twin hours from the measly 20 that I currently have.

any info appreciated

thanks

Flem:confused:

FRIDAY
18th Jun 2002, 01:56
I have seen advertisements for "cape flying" which offer 350 loggable twin/turbine hrs, at what cost I don't know. You will see the advert at the back of most mags.
Also worth a gander is "phoebus" who operate a DC-3, wow my favourite plane I would certainly invest in hours on that.

malaysian eaglet
18th Jun 2002, 23:07
You can make your hours building in Malaysia, it is cheaper than SA and the country is also quite interesting.

tonyblair
19th Jun 2002, 04:45
Perhaps a little off topic, but I wonder if anyone can advise me.

I'm looking at starting training this autumn and have been searching here for the options. There's certainly a wealth of data if you use the search function. What I'm not sure about is the validity of the do-it-yourself modular approach. A couple of friends of my father who are pilots have given me conflicting advice; both seem logical to me.

On the one hand, I'm told to save money, use the modular route and build my hours as cheaply as possible cause at the end of the day an airline will be assessing me & my performance in training (e.g. 1st time passes etc.) & not how I got my licence.

On the other, I'm told either go integrated, or do a structured modular course, because its easy to waste the 150 hours "drilling holes in the sky" (I loved that phrase!).

The latter advice seems logical. I've seem some ads for hours building (especially in the States) that emphasise how you can spend hours & hours doing long solo cross-countries. Probably cheap, but I have not learnt at the same rate on the little solo flying I've done. It's important, and certainly has given me great confidence, but I think 100 hours of it will be a waste of time. Sort of negates the modular route though.

What do you think?

Crosswind Limits
19th Jun 2002, 06:45
tonyblair,

Way off topic! You might be better posting a new thread.

Bob Fleming
19th Jun 2002, 09:19
Tony

I told you not to talk to cherie about these things...

tonyblair
21st Jun 2002, 19:11
Hmmm Crosswind, I guess you are right. I'm new to PPrune as well as flying! Guess I have a lot to learn! New topic coming up.

Token Bird
25th Jun 2002, 20:07
FRIDAY,

Another person just like me (DC-3 obsessed). The DC-3 owned by Phoebus Apollo is for their charter operation. I don't think you can buy hours on it. If you are really interested in flying the Dak and have £17000 to spare try South Coast Airways (http://www.southcoastairways.com). Alternately, Tyler Aviation (http://www.tyleraviation.com) run a first officer program where you pay to fly the Dak commercially in the Caribbean. Packages start at 10800 USD for 250 hours. I wouldn't normally advocate working for no pay, let alone paying to work but I might be tempted to make an exception for the Dak.

Bob,

Sorry, drifted off topic slightly. Back to the hour-building in SA thing. Try Flight Training College of Africa (http://www.ftc-sa.com). Not sure if they allow twin hire though. Single is about £55 ph, and the scenery is beautiful,

TB

pkos
25th Jul 2002, 00:54
Bad time for time building in South Coast

"It has come to our attention that Andrew & Geraldine Dixon, the Directors
of South Coast Airways, have taken the company to the point of liquidation
so that they can rid themselves of the lawful shareholders who have funded
the company and dump, without compunction, the many passengers, who have
paid in good faith, for flights on G-DAKK this summer. They intend to set
up another airline later in the year in association with the Dutch Dakota
Association using a Dutch Dakota which they have asked the Civil Aviation
to re-register as British."