PDA

View Full Version : Game on. Turnbull quits Ministry, call for Leadership spill

gaunty
14th Sep 2015, 06:03
Don't think it will change much in aviation but it might be the circuit breaker we need..

Horatio Leafblower
14th Sep 2015, 06:17
I fear, old mate, that aviation is a regional issue and regional issues will get short shrift in the new cabinet.

I am told the Nats hate Turnbull and vice versa.

Are you voting on Saturday?

sunnySA
14th Sep 2015, 06:27
Hopefully the new broom will install a Minister that has more than a passing interest in Aviation

Horatio Leafblower
14th Sep 2015, 06:34
Sunny,

Can you think of a Coalition Minister for Transport who wasn't Nationals leader?

...not in my lifetime.

edit: My mistake, Ralph Hunt was minister for Transport in the Fraser govt.... but he was deputy leader of the Country Party at the time.

sunnySA
14th Sep 2015, 07:01
No I can't, Civil Aviation has been very poorly served for more years than I care to remember, INTEREST has been the key, i.e. LACK of INTEREST (Truss) or CONFLICT of INTEREST (Albanese).

Perhaps John Sharp.

LeadSled
14th Sep 2015, 07:56
Folks,
In my opinion, both John Sharp and Mark Vaile were effective Ministers for Transport, but neither was in the job long enough to set their reforms in concrete.
Tootle pip!!

4Greens
14th Sep 2015, 08:07
Been there, done that ! In my time we had five ministers of Transport in a little over five years. All did little or nothing for aviation. Solution : A Minister for Aviation.

Stationair8
14th Sep 2015, 08:09
The only thing the Australian politician knows about aviation, is that pretty dolly bird in the skirt will serve him a tea, coffee or beer on the flight to Canberra.

That folks sums up their knowledge of aviation in this country.

That quote came from Arthur Schutt, as I refuelled his C210 in 1988 in the NT.

RIP Arthur, you would turn in your grave at the lack of activity at YMMB these days!

Frank Arouet
14th Sep 2015, 08:31
If Turnbull is the solution, what's the problem again? Oh, that's right. A peoples forum on gay marriage, a carbon tax, unimpeded political interference by the national broadcaster, ... oh yes and another thing...

gaunty
14th Sep 2015, 08:36
Not my bailiwick, but the LNP candidate is a good man, the ALP guy is a Labor apparatchik.

I have a pretty jaundiced view of the area, it is really fight between the kids pulling pigtails at the back of the class and those who failed comprehension.

If they fall for the litany of lies and bull**** being peddled by the saturation TV advertising by the CFMEU, then the pigtail pullers have won.

Todays news might just change the game.

If I were Tony I would be interrupting the GG's dinner tonight and asking for a DD and let us decide, and I really mean whichever way it goes, we can't complain if we haven't been paying attention.

It can't be any worse than what we've got

Of course BS is pooping himself because if he has to go back before the TURC its game over for him and gaol terms for many.

gaunty
14th Sep 2015, 08:38
LeadSled
Goodness we actually agree on something. :E :O

Flying Binghi
14th Sep 2015, 09:22
The bankers need turnbull installed before December to ensure we get carbon trading in Oz. So it were now or never.

Jo Nova covers it well... Abbott, Turnbull spill on again ? Send in your emails « JoNova (http://joannenova.com.au/2015/09/abbott-turnbull-spill-on-again-send-in-your-emails/)

onetrack
14th Sep 2015, 09:34
So .. if Malcolm wins the ballot tonight, we go from being led by a w anker to being led by a banker .. in a party populated by (boat) anchors.

Seems like a re-arranging of the deck chairs on the HMAS Titanic to me ...

As a mate opined many years ago - "What we need is less politicians, and more Statesmen!"

I can't see a Statesman amongst any of them, no matter what party they profess to belong to. And that is probably where all the problems start.
They always put the good of "the party" before any national interest or long-term planning. :suspect:

Flying Binghi
14th Sep 2015, 09:50
First, free the Statesman from the chains of the Senate and the ABC..:hmm:

Until we get rid of the ABC we get the troubles we deserve.

Pinky the pilot
14th Sep 2015, 10:10
I fear for this Country. I really do!:sad:

We do not have any Statesmen, only chair warmers, time servers and supremely ambitious egotists.:ugh:

cattletruck
14th Sep 2015, 10:18
Never understood why a multi-millionaire would stay in politics...unless they want to become a multi-billionaire.

Turnbull is just a computer nerd who like a marionette was attached to copper wires being tugged on by Telstra. Can't see the Aviation industry offering him anything other than a gold wing membership.

Methinks it's all just his ego calling before he retires.

Frank Arouet
14th Sep 2015, 10:57
No, the alternative is Shorten by whichever means.

Poor fellow my country.

onetrack
14th Sep 2015, 11:59
Well, we have a new PM - Malcolm shoos it in, 54 votes to 44. Julie Bishop is elected Deputy Leader of the Libs, 70 votes to 30, in preference to Kevin Andrews.
It will be interesting to see the makeup of the new Turnbull Cabinet tomorrow. I can't see Hockey still being Treasurer tomorrow.
It's going to be a long night for some people, as they ponder their new career, or their old one that just went out the window. :suspect:

BNEA320
14th Sep 2015, 12:08
wow 5 votes & we've really stuffed the country. Who do these idiots think they are. Voters should decide the PM, not some bloody party room. As bad as the unions & that's bloody terrible.

bloated goat
14th Sep 2015, 12:15
I predict he's gonna say.........

I'm gonna............reduce taxes...........and, um...........create jobs, and............um.............um...............um........... ......

This country is stuffed.......

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Sep 2015, 12:17
Frank, Either wash your mouth out with a good single malt, or, smile....
And have you forgotten already even, why we are in the current financial mess,
Aviation notwithstanding.....

And, yep! I too wish we had a MINISTER FOR AVIATION!!!

I.e. that's "FOR"..... Not just a lookin ******....

No cheers:eek:

Bull at a Gate
14th Sep 2015, 12:18
Glad to see the mad monk go. Malcolm Turnbull is cleverer and weighed down by less religious baggage than Abbot. His main challenge now is to carry the rest of the coalition into a place where science is not a bad word, and where tolerance is in and bigotry out.

Flying Binghi
14th Sep 2015, 12:36
via B at a G:
...to carry the rest of the coalition into a place where science is not a bad word...

Banker boy has until December...:hmm:

haughtney1
14th Sep 2015, 12:50
And in other news.........:hmm: the BBC have announced that the next 2 years will be the hottest on record, everywhere except the UK..where it will rain more.
I'm starting to compare Oz politics with Italian politics i.e. It's a joke.

Keg
14th Sep 2015, 12:57
Kennett nailed this one earlier today. Turnbull is the Liberal's KRudd. All about his ego and his achievements.

For all of Abbott's faults it was clear he was trying to do his best for the country. I've never gotten that impression with Turnbull.

Our nation is a joke politically. I think I'm moving to NZ. :ok: :}

Gate_15L
14th Sep 2015, 14:50
I think I'm moving to NZ.

Sure... why not.. I believe Jet* Regional are hiring... :p

Oh and another thing.. it sisk , not seesk, fish and not fiiiish... and we do not want the "guard police" emigrating over here.. a gentle ribbing in the form of "beer!!" is acceptable... "Your en guard".. is not...

:p :}

LeadSled
14th Sep 2015, 15:17
Not my bailiwick, but the LNP candidate is a good man, the ALP guy is a Labor apparatchik.
I have a pretty jaundiced view of the area, it is really fight between the kids pulling pigtails at the back of the class and those who failed comprehension.
If they fall for the litany of lies and bull**** being peddled by the saturation TV advertising by the CFMEU, then the pigtail pullers have won.

Todays news might just change the game.

It must be the Theakston's Old Peculiar on this fine autumn afternoon, but I actually agree with the above comments.

Tootle pip!!

Duck Pilot
14th Sep 2015, 20:35
So what's the stupid exercise cost the taxpayer????

3rd time this has happened now, Australia must now be the laughing stock of the world!!!!

It's an Absolute Disgrace that the constitution allows this crap. The only people who should be able to make these decisions are the VOTERS.

EMTASOL..................................................... .........................................

ozziekiwi
14th Sep 2015, 21:00
Correct me if I am wrong but we haven't had a minister of Transport
since the """MINISTER FOR QANTAS - JOHN ANDERSON"" and his cronies stuffed Ansett Australia forever. Some of us have long memories !!!!!

tail wheel
14th Sep 2015, 22:10
Capt Kwack - harim tok bilong mi!

Far from being the laughing stock of the world, a majority of the World's nations wish they too had our Australian democracy and the ability to change leaders at any time. Including I suspect, the USA.

Until a true Statesman enters Australian federal politics, we are destined to have instability in Government and in leadership.

Frank Arouet
14th Sep 2015, 22:24
The only positive see is the departure from influence by Credlin who I believe insulated Abbott from the problems in aviation. I can't see Turnbull being a life line to industry either, but it may put the fox in the hen house with Mrdak and Co who may get their wings clipped.

biglanchow
14th Sep 2015, 23:16
Australia'a experiment with having a heartless moron running the country is now over. Thank God.

The Coal Industry, Rupert Murdoch and richest 10% in the country must be spewing?

Flying Binghi
14th Sep 2015, 23:38
via biglanchow:
...The Coal Industry, Rupert Murdoch and richest 10% in the country must be spewing?

biglanchow, perhaps yer being sarcastic, though, why do you think the "Coal Industry, Rupert Murdoch and richest 10% in the country must be spewing?" ?

biglanchow
15th Sep 2015, 00:28
Coal Industry - Tony dumb dumb doesn't believe in climate change and thinks coal is the worlds answer for energy needs forever and a day.

Rupert Murdoch is extremely right wing just like Tony dumb dumb and does not want someone like Turnbull in charge because it may not suit the "agenda's" he pushes through his bile mascarading as Newspapers.

The richest 10% will be spewing beacause Tony and Hockey's budgets looked after them and middle Australia and the poor could take the pain to ensure the rich weren't touched. This may not be the case from here on in.

I am actually surprised I had to spell this out???

Flying Binghi
15th Sep 2015, 01:09
Heh, must be beer o'clock in the US..:)

biglanchow, your post is a little hard to understand.

Anyway, turnbull wont be stoping coal mining. Oz will be ramping up coal mining...

"...More than 1000 “high-efficiency” coal-fired electricity generation plants are planned or under construction in key Asian nations..."

Japan: Building coal plants is ?climate finance? | Watts Up With That? (http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/09/13/japan-building-coal-plants-is-climate-finance/)

Killer Loop
15th Sep 2015, 02:28
"So what's the stupid exercise cost the taxpayer????

3rd time this has happened now, Australia must now be the laughing stock of the world!!!!

It's an Absolute Disgrace that the constitution allows this crap. The only people who should be able to make these decisions are the VOTERS.

EMTASOL..................................................... ........................................"

Australia: Coup capital of the democratic world (Australia: Coup capital of the democratic world - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34249214))

Keg
15th Sep 2015, 02:45
Two lies in one sentence. That's a pretty neat trick.

Coal Industry - Tony dumb dumb doesn't believe in climate change and thinks coal is the worlds answer for energy needs forever and a day.

He's always believed in climate change. He has issues with the degree it will impact, our ability to stop it (though it seems to have stopped all on its lonesome for the last 18 years), and the best way to respond to it.

Coal is cheap. It's the answer for millions living in poverty in China, India and much of Africa. He doesn't believe it's the answer 'forever and a day' but he's not going to blow billions on speculative crap when the cost outweighs the benefit by a significant margin.

But hey, calling him Tony dumb dumb must make you feel like a real big man. :ugh: :rolleyes:

Horatio Leafblower
15th Sep 2015, 03:02
The only people who should be able to make these decisions are the VOTERS.

The voters elected a party and the party elects its leader.

The fact is that Tony Abbott as leader tried to implement the things he promised he wouldn't do; and he didn't implement the things he promised he would.

His style was that of a very effective opposition leader, but he never made the transition to Prime Minister, as a leader of the nation.

Abbott didn't make the grade in the opinion of a great many Australians, and the Liberal party (to their credit) has replaced him with a man than a great many more Australians feel respect or affection for.

As some commentators have noted, it was Abbott, Rudd and Gillard that made Australian politics the brutal blood-bath of the post-Howard years.

I don't believe this is a wonderful clean new beginning but I have more hope for the standard of national debate today than I had at this time on Friday last week.

:ok:

Frank Arouet
15th Sep 2015, 03:13
Man made climate change, if that call is accurate, means we have a mankind problem. Overstocking the paddock in other words. Maybe a cull is called for and we could start with those who mirror the intelligence of a tame cabbage.

All the hyperventilating about the leadership of one party isn't doing anything for the aviation industry who, as usual will be left out of more pressing considerations like gay marriage, a republic and trading of green climate cards.

Capt Claret
15th Sep 2015, 03:37
More hope Horatio than one had on Monday morning. I can feel the hope and I'm not even a follower (of the party). :ok:

Flying Binghi
15th Sep 2015, 04:14
via Horatio Leafblower:
The voters elected a party and the party elects its leader.

The fact is that Tony Abbott as leader tried to implement the things he promised he wouldn't do; and he didn't implement the things he promised he would.

His style was that of a very effective opposition leader, but he never made the transition to Prime Minister, as a leader of the nation.

Abbott didn't make the grade in the opinion of a great many Australians, and the Liberal party (to their credit) has replaced him with a man than a great many more Australians feel respect or affection for.

As some commentators have noted, it was Abbott, Rudd and Gillard that made Australian politics the brutal blood-bath of the post-Howard years.

I don't believe this is a wonderful clean new beginning but I have more hope for the standard of national debate today than I had at this time on Friday last week.

Hmmm... reads like something lifted from an ABC web site. Can Horatio Leafblower give us the link please..:hmm:

"The voters elected a party and the party elects its leader." Technically correct, though in the minds of most voters they elected the Abbott Government. Or before that the Rudd or Gilard Governments.
Suggest a goggle search of the term "Abbott government" etc, to see how people generally see the governments they elect.

Its a fair call from we the voters to say we did NOT elect the turnbull government.

"I have more hope for the standard of national debate today than I had at this time on Friday last week."
Well the rats have been flushed out and are in charge now so I expect the leaks and undermining will stop..:hmm:

The trouble for the rats is they got no-where to hide now..:)

Horatio Leafblower
15th Sep 2015, 05:26
Hmmm... reads like something lifted from an ABC web site. Can Horatio Leafblower give us the link please..

You are what you eat, and I read a lot of ABC and Fairfax media I must confess.

Lifted? No.
Heavily influenced? No doubt! :oh:

Flying Binghi
15th Sep 2015, 05:59
This individual is now our Prime Minister... :hmm:

"OPPOSITION Leader Malcolm Turnbull looks set to emerge from his long court case over HIH Insurance with his former employer, the Goldman Sachs merchant bank, making a confidential settlement on his behalf.

The NSW Supreme Court yesterday granted the plaintiff and eight parties being sued, including Goldman Sachs and Mr Turnbull, an extension of time until May 7 to finalise the settlement.

HIH liquidator Tony McGrath filed an action in 2004 against nine defendants -- one of which was later dropped -- seeking to recoup $300 million that HIH spent on buying FAI Insurance in late 1998, plus interest and costs.

HIH collapsed in March 2001 with a deficiency of about $5.3billion, and the FAI purchase ended up costing HIH an estimated $560 million, according to the HIH Royal Commission.

Mr Turnbull, a former investment banker who was chairman of Goldman Sachs Australia in 1998, is named in the suit along with his then deputy, Russel Pillemer, as were senior FAI executives Rodney Adler, Daniel Wilkie and Tim Mainprize.

HIH bought FAI sight unseen in 1999, and it later emerged that FAI's accounts had been improved by measures including the use of financial reinsurance policies in such a way that a looming $50 million loss for the year to June 1998 was converted into an $8.6 million pre-tax profit.

The HIH Royal Commission concluded that the reinsurance policies should have been recorded as loans.

This would have left the $50million loss visible."

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/archive/news/hih-score-settled-for-malcolm/story-e6frg6no-1111119117953)

biglanchow
15th Sep 2015, 06:57
Yeah, sorry Keg, you are correct. Tony Abbott is a very smart guy who was an economic genius. "Stop the boats, Axe the Tax, We are not the Labor Party", that's about the extent of his vision for this country.

A true Statesman, made you proud to wave your Aussie flag. An intellectual giant in fact.

Nigel747
15th Sep 2015, 08:34
His belief in climate change was forced upon him. Unlike his belief in a benevolent old friend in the clouds that he talks to on Sundays. That sort of hocus pocus has no place in modern politics.
Good riddance to the Mad Monk.

Flying Binghi
15th Sep 2015, 09:20
via Nigel747:
...His belief in climate change was forced upon him...

And he had lost control of the narrative. Hunt and co have been cooking up quiet the money burning scam..:hmm:

Ethel the Aardvark
15th Sep 2015, 12:10
On the bright side at least he can keep Bronwyn company.
his prediction on Mon that he would win the leadership is up there with MH 370 would be found within a week:rolleyes:

V-Jet
15th Sep 2015, 12:44
This is the first time a sitting PM has been destroyed through hatred of the government owned media outlet - ABC. Normally a politician (let alone a PM) is brought down through lies and/or gross incompetence. Not so in this case. Tony Abbott was not afforded a seconds grace by the press gallery, the most egregious example (I believe) was when Bill Shorten (accused rapist and stand over man, not wall puncher) waxed lyrical about 'that drowned girl' when the body was in fact a very young boy. Not a question raised, not a comment or statement from any journalist. If Abbott had made such a 'gaffe' it would have been front page/twitter gold. Further, not a mention that but for someone who staked their reputation on preventing same (despite the ABC and Press Gallery loudly proclaiming it impossible) our military would still be pulling bloating toddlers from the ocean in their hundreds. The human cost of Rudd/Gillard was incalculable, the economic cost unbearable, but like watching a good crew in a sim completing a complex task the ease of just that one duty belied the difficulty. Tony Abbott was brought down by doing nothing wrong.

lurker999
15th Sep 2015, 13:25
Abbott was an idiot. He eventually did one too many stupid things to be allowed to continue.

His support of Bronnie was way too far for most of his colleagues and for many the final straw. It was a disaster for the govt. she should have been told to resign or sacked day 1. what she did was egregious and very close to fraudulent and they all knew it. The griping about his support by Liberal senior to junior, esp senior, was epic and in the end brutal. It was over then, he was a dead man walking.

add that to Knighthoods, then knighting Phil the Greek. Medicare, Maternity Leave blah blah blah.

Previous PMs, Howard, Hawke, Keating, Fraser etc had some idea. Tone didn't give the impression he had even the faintest idea. either in policy or dealing with his party room.

The ABC had little to do with his demise V Jet, he was incompetent and damaging to his own party. any and all really damaging stuff was coming internally from his own side to help get rid of him.

V-Jet
15th Sep 2015, 13:52
A Rhodes Scholar who encouraged Bishop to resign? I can't argue with someone who probably thinks Q and A is balanced. One example: Tony Abbott has been (and still is) pilloried for years by the ABC for being misogynist, the infamous wall punching student making headlines. Bill Shorten has been named as a rapist who regularly used illegal drugs without any hint of defamation being suggested from his camp. One girl's life (and she was VERY young and it's hinted there's more) is seriously disturbed but not a single mention in the ABC/Fairfax led Press Gallery? The same people who were all over Rolf Harris? The bias is absolutely extraordinary.

mickjoebill
15th Sep 2015, 14:11
Abbott's last line to the Australia as PM was
"may God bless this great Commonwealth. Thank you."

A sentiment not at one with those who do not believe in either his or any god, nor acceptable to those who want to Australia to be a republic.

Mickjoebill

mickjoebill
15th Sep 2015, 14:54
Modern communications gives almost everyone a vote with ease, we don't need elected representatives as each one of us can represent ourselves.

We don't need our representatives to sit face to face in a parliament, this idea was invented in the days of horse and cart.

Lets be informed and debate the new rail link, the new port, military vs education budgets etc and then vote ourselves.

The notion that policy is either left or right is quaint.

Mickjoebill