PDA

View Full Version : Germany out of Shengen - also air travel ?

atakacs
13th Sep 2015, 17:20
I guess most of you have already seen Germany is to re-introduce systematic border control. Does that also apply to air travel ? If so I'd better plan for some extra time at the airport...

ExXB
13th Sep 2015, 17:54
It appears to be just on their southern boarder with Austria. No doubt, as refugees seek other routes, this will be extended to the land borders with Switzerland, the Czech Republic, and possibly France.

Not too many refugees have the resources to fly so I would expect nothing more than a few 'spot-checks' at arrival ensuring passengers have the proper ID. The airlines could also adopt similar checks on boarding, but ex-CH I don't think you will see anything different.

atakacs
13th Sep 2015, 18:22
Thanks
Will be flying next week... Will report my experience

ExXB
14th Sep 2015, 10:51
Thinking about it, this could impact more pax arriving in Germany from non-Schengen countries. Should the authorities need to devert resources to the southern border, the obvious choice will be from staff working at German airports.

Actual experiences are sought!

alserire
14th Sep 2015, 15:36
It's the border with Austria near Munich that's being closed off. Not the whole country. I can't speak from experience but I'd be amazed if any airport other than Munich (and I don't believe that even this will happen) would be affected. It's road and rail that are the real issues here. Migrants are not arriving by plane. And it will be police and army more so than the passport booth lads and lassies that will be involved.

I'd be amazed if there was an issue, even more so on the basis that this is Germany we're talking about.

PAXfips
16th Sep 2015, 16:58
Just back from a HAM-MAN-DUS-HAM trip -- nothing special to notice (e.g. way longer queues at border control or such).