PDA

View Full Version : Message from the Boss

CR2
17th Jun 2002, 06:20
I've done a copy/paste from the main Reporting Points forum. Please read and take note.

**warning**
As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions.

It would appear that it is that time of year again where many regulars have forgotten the big red words at the bottom of the pages (recreated above for those too lazy to scroll down) and too many newcomers haven't bothered to actually read them or are incapable of understanding them. If you are too stupid or immature to comprehend the meaning of the words in red then you shouldn't be on these forums. If you are actually posting on these forums and fail to apply the meaning of those red words then you are in danger of being removed forcibly.

I have noticed a trend over the last few months whereby some posters are so inceredibly naive that they believe we regular users of this forum cannot read between the lines and are unable to suss out who is and isn't a professional involved in the industry. Whilst the forums are here primarily for discussion of issues that affect professional pilots and we welcome input from others involved in the industry there has been an increasing trend of people who are only enthusiasts who feel they can ignore the red writing and post whatever they like. Well, the time has come to point out that the moderators and Admins of these forums are going to be clamping down on posters who are abusing their anonymity and who we feel are just 'pretenders' intent on having what they consider to be 'fun' at our expense.

If you have nothing to do with the industry and your posts show that to be the case, because most of us who are 'inside' can read between the lines, and the content is what we consider to be of dubious intent, then you are likely to have your posts removed. There will be an appeals process if you feel you have been unfairly censored and you will have to apply by email to [email protected] where your appeal will be reviewed. You will NOT be allowed to conduct your case in public on these forums and any breach of this will lead to a banning. We expect those that use these forums to be inteligent and mature enough to comprehend this.

Also, there are too many people just posting trivia or questions that have nothing to do with professional aviation and we are having to move the threads to more appropriate forums. In future many of the threads posted that are not relevant to this forums, and that includes rehashed press releases about airlines, routes and airports as well as requests from 'spotters' for info about something they may or may not have seen will be moved and no link to the thread will be left.

As usual, I have to step in when I see the forums being abused by a a minority who believe that because they are anonymous they can behave in a manner that is extremely offensive to many people. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this but if you cannot argue a point without resorting to personal attacks and abuse then don't bother posting because all you will be doing is increasing workload of the moderators, admins and myself which will eventually lead to a banning and a deletion of your handywork.

As an example I will use 411a. Whilst much of what he writes is controversial and some comments are designed to provoke a reaction such as mention of the 49ers or "not another co-pilot..." he does not descend into personal abuse and anyone who cannot reply with a reasoned counter argument, one that doesn't involve abuse, should not reply at all. If you have nothing constructive to counter an argument then don't reply at all. By descending into personal abuse you have lost the argument and taken the bait. It takes a mature and intelligent person to be able to just ignore a comment they don't like and by doing so, do more to show that the original comment that caused the anger is indeed just a reflection of the posters ignorance in the first place.

Moving on to 'enthusiasts', whilst you are free to read and learn what you can from the content of these forums, unless you are actually involved in the industry then please post any questions or views in the forums that are set up to cater for you. Reporting Points specifically is for news that directly involves professioanl pilots, directly or indirectly. I will leave a topic if I think it has relevance and a decent debate can be conducted. The current 'hot topic' "I am an army of one" is an example. It is a debate on how we view our current working conditions and is open for comments from anyone in the industry, especially management and pilots, but has unfortunately been hijacked by some individuals who are too busy with their own agendas and haven't the intelligence to comprehend the red writing.

Whilst I and the other moderators do our best to try and monitor the threads, many of you seem to forget that we do this in our spare time, in my case between a series of night flights for example and if there is no one around to check on a thread for a while that doesn't mean we will leave all posts intact when we do get around to reading them. It also means that we sometimes leave borderline posts because there are just not enough hours in the day for us to edit every single item. I am sure that some of you think PPRuNe is some sort of big organisation with offices and loads of staff. I wish! It is a bulletin board which has grown into an internatioanlly recognised forum and too many people do not read the red writing which leads to posts such as this one.

Finally, remember that what we write here is read by a much wider audience and if you are not a professional pilot or involved in the industry and you make a post on here that shows this to be the case your work will be edited or deleted. Too many people try to hijack this forum for their own, non professional aviation agendas and the time has come for a clampdown.

You have been warned!

As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, to elicit certain reactions.

--------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

3 Holer
18th Jun 2002, 02:54
.........'bout time.:)