PDA

View Full Version : Learjet 60 ditching tests at LEMG

lear60fellow
10th Sep 2015, 21:07
Looks like some pilots donīt believe was is stayed on the page 1 of the Lear 60 manual: "Not Approved for ditching", so the test it

https://youtu.be/AKNMAejEx1s

atakacs
10th Sep 2015, 21:24
Now that's an interesting one... What was the point of this stunt?!

SammySu
10th Sep 2015, 21:29
Moving it out of the flooded parking area before the water got any deeper? Perhaps it was too deep to drive a tug in there!

SammySu
10th Sep 2015, 21:39
I'm not suggesting what was done was sensible by the way, just a thought about why it may have been attempted.

PURPLE PITOT
11th Sep 2015, 09:07
It's Bombardiers latest advisory wire. Carbon brake packs must be thoroughly washed before flight!

DirtyProp
11th Sep 2015, 10:31
With no tugs available I would've done the same.
Besides, the n.w. was completely submerged, so not so easy to hook it up, I presume...

ivor toolbox
11th Sep 2015, 10:47
Stupid. Both gear squat switches waterlogged, so many functions go through squat switches

Rwy in Sight
11th Sep 2015, 12:21
I am wondering how the crew got in the aircraft?

Rwy in Sight

Journey Man
12th Sep 2015, 19:37
Imagine the undercarriage would require inspection and squat, etc... Any truth to the rumour the a/c flew out that day?

Booglebox
12th Sep 2015, 20:10
Rwy in sight: I would guess dinghy to wing, in through emer. exit

worldoffe
13th Sep 2015, 07:58
So now I can be relaxed if I ever face the situation of ditching with the LJ60 as I seems like it's doing just fine! :)

Sydy
14th Sep 2015, 02:06
Guys,

Have you seen the one that "sailed" in Rio? It overran the downtown airport and literally sailed to ditch back at the airport:

LiveLeak.com - Learjet off runway into Guanabara, Rio de Janeiro

suitcaseman
14th Sep 2015, 12:01
Does the undercarriage, squat switches etc require an inspection after an approach and landing in heavy rain!

Rain driven by 140 kts of wind on approach gets in everywhere. Landing on wet runways soaks everything. Maybe the crew took advice from engineering! Maybe we should give the crew the benefit of the doubt.

lear60fellow
14th Sep 2015, 15:44
As far as I know aircraft was for quite a time already soaked in water, moving it itīs not the best option knowing that many taxiways drainage covers had already been washed away by the force of water.

Looks like aircraft was flown a couple of hours later to maintenance center in UK. Bombardier stays that a pre-inspection is needed before any flight take place.

Other pilots and aircrafts where in place, no one moved them.

I wonder if they used taxi lights.....

212man
15th Sep 2015, 07:38
Why am I not surprised to see the state of registration?

Journey Man
16th Sep 2015, 08:24
suitcaseman, can you see any difference to a completely submerged situation and rain or spray?

His dudeness
16th Sep 2015, 15:26

Donīt know what youīre after, I for one think that seeing Spanish airplanes in Spain is somehow...how should I put it...normal ?

suitcaseman
17th Sep 2015, 06:44
Yes actually I can. Rain driven by 160 mph wind will force its way past otherwise normally waterproof seals.

Anybody with even a mildly scientific knowledge would understand that. The same effect as pressure washing.

My main point is the "experts" are all happy to criticise the crew on a public forum with no factual or even basic scientific knowledge. Do you know the crew didn't have engineering check the aircraft before departure? Perhaps engineering removed the aircraft or the crew removed it on engineering instructions? There are so many possibilities but it's just so easy to criticise without facts.

Journey Man
17th Sep 2015, 22:19
Yes actually I can. Rain driven by 160 mph wind will force its way past otherwise normally waterproof seals.

So are you now suggesting an approach in rain will cause water past oleo seals?

lear60fellow
3rd Oct 2015, 15:51

Would you be surprised to know if the pilot itīs a Bristish CAA license holder?

Has nothing to do with the state of registration, has to do with professionalism.

CL65 JR
4th Oct 2015, 14:25
We had to do the same thing that day, albeit that aircraft was parked further back so there wasn't so the water level wasn't so high. From the GA Terminal you could see the water level rising. All happened very fast.

UV
5th Oct 2015, 14:41
if its that, or have it written off, what's the problem?