PDA

View Full Version : Rangoon in 1975

Dupre
7th Sep 2015, 14:47
Hi,

What instrument approach(es) did Rangoon have in 1975?

I have been hearing tall tales from my dad about a return after an engine failure on departure of a Burma airways B727 in 1975, in foggy weather. He insists the crew were not making a published approach, rather repeatedly dipping to low level, to see if they could find the runway (what he gathered as a non pilot from his seat in economy...) He claims it was only Rangoon's flat topography that kept them alive that day!

This seems improbable to me. Does anyone on here have experience flying there in that period?

He finally departed later that day on a British Airways VC10.

Cheers!

Cornish Jack
8th Sep 2015, 21:45
Sounds entirely possible. I was in Rangoon in '64 and the facilities were best described as 'basic'. We were there for a month and the standard of living was notably poor. There would have been little progress in the subsequent decade.Not directly aviation but our hire car was a VERY second hand Humber Hawk. The only fuel available was 80 octane 'pool' petrol and that made a combination which 'pinked' when accelerating ... downhill!!! All that being said, the people were absolutely super and the country, especially in the HeHo(sp?) area quite stunningly beautiful.