PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan XH558 "Scare" at Prestwick

Nfield750
7th Sep 2015, 13:05
XH558 had a problem extending the front u/c, when landing at Prestwick after the Scottish show. Vulcan bomber makes emergency landing at Scottish Airshow after landing wheels become stuck during fly-past - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vulcan-bomber-makes-emergency-landing-6391061). Less dramatically, there's a very interesting youtube clip where someone has recorded the comms and video as a BBMF Spitfire flies in formation to have a look for damage/obstructions. All very professional, the Vulcan crew blow the gear down and land. I noticed that the gear did not appear to fully extend when cycled during the display. I hope they get her fixed for the remaining appearances before she's consigned to the ground.

Graham Borland
7th Sep 2015, 14:08
When she departed Prestwick yesterday (the day after the display) she did not retract the gear.

Chris2303
7th Sep 2015, 14:25
From their Facebook page:

Good afternoon everyone. Welcome to the flight day info-line for a direct return to Robin Hood. To confirm: - there are no display appearances today.
Take-off from Prestwick will be 1530 (local) with arrival at Doncaster for approx 1630. Undercarriage will remain locked down all flight.
We will have route guide for you soon, but please be aware it is subject to variable routing by the crew once airborne. Thank you.

coldair
8th Sep 2015, 00:36
Full video with ATC ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxshOMFTZdM

Well done all :-)

coldair

methley
8th Sep 2015, 09:19
What does "blow the gear down" mean?

5milesbaby
8th Sep 2015, 10:04
From what the pilot states in the YouTube video (ATC comms) it is a procedure involving some harsh yawing turns and the turns are recorded in the video link above.

A tip of the hat to everyone who was involved, and how superb was that landing!!

gchriste
8th Sep 2015, 10:09
Awesome landing alright! Very calm and professional.

J.O.
8th Sep 2015, 10:12

I'm not familiar with the Vulcan but some aircraft types are equipped with a system that uses pressure from a charged pneumatic bottle to force the landing gear down. This is likely what they are referring to when they say that.

JammedStab
8th Sep 2015, 10:22
I'm not familiar with the Vulcan but some aircraft types are equipped with a system that uses pressure from a charged pneumatic bottle to force the landing gear down. This is likely what they are referring to when they say that.

Had it on the King Air. Modified gear system from the original.

Nfield750
8th Sep 2015, 10:50
Later info on the VTS website forum suggests that the crew didn't blow the gear down in the end, but the system finally played ball after numerous attempts as in the procedure. The comment was, "lots of engineering head scratching" when she returned to the hangar.

Teevee
8th Sep 2015, 11:21
Can't do that by pushing buttons!:O There's a few that couldn't do that ... mind you I bet there's also a few on here who wouldn't mind the chance to try ...:O

sandiego89
8th Sep 2015, 12:37
I do not want to be overly dramatic about this recent technical glitch, but it did get me wondering for discussions sake what was/is Vulcan proceedure for a stuck nose gear if all means/blow down failed?

Bail out or retract the mains and try a belly landing? I can't imagine a mains only attempt with such a close coupled wheel base. Any Vulcan ever make a belly landing? I do recall seeing pictures of the high profile arrival in NZ with one of the mains damaged, and the crew scrambling down the wing to the ground.

I do recall the C-5 and B-1 landings at Edwards AFB, and a more recent Typhoon in the UK with stuck nose gear. IIRC the B-52 proceedure for stuck front gears was bail out.

Again no agenda, no criticism, no sensationalism and glad things worked well- just curious.

sitigeltfel
8th Sep 2015, 12:55
The crew door on the Vulcan was just ahead of the nose gear and after a belly landing, if the rear crew had not bailed out, they would have to scramble up into the cockpit and out through the jettisoned canopy aperture. The pilots would have already got out of the way and made the seats safe for the rest of the crew to step over. Bailing out with the nose gear down was tricky as the leg was in the way and you would have to push yourself round it after using the crew door as a chute. That's the way I remember it anyway, 39 years down the road. :confused:

Plane Speaker
10th Sep 2015, 10:57
I hope this link works..........

http://www.bapc.org.uk/Al_MCd_final.pdf

Its written by Al McDicken and includes amongst other things the story of a Vulcan landing with hydraulic failure. If you read to the end you'll get a sense of the man.

DX Wombat
10th Sep 2015, 13:02
Graham, I can't tell from your profile if you have working/flying connections (other than as SLF) so I apologise in advance if I'm stating the obvious to you. The reason for keeping the gear down on the short return flight to Finningley was because it was known to be down and locked. Had the gear been retracted it might have refused to lock into position again with a possible partial gear up landing - not a good idea anywhere and certainly not at what is now a single runway civil airport likely to be full of holidaymakers who would probably be incensed at any resulting delay. Better to use a bit more fuel keeping it down and land safely.

methley
11th Sep 2015, 08:45
I haven't seen any public news on the status of this yet. I do hope everything is ok as we're off to Old Sarum tomorrow....

Wander00
11th Sep 2015, 13:10
Anyone know timing at the VTS members' event at Coventry tomorrow. In the area tomorrow and wondered if I might see it

BBK
11th Sep 2015, 16:50
Hi Guys

Thread drift ...sorry! I was wondering if the old girl is at Goodwood on the 12th. I can't find any info online.

BBK

JimNtexas
11th Sep 2015, 20:56
Very impressive display of airmanship! I just wish someone would add Brit to Texan captions, sometime's ya'll talk funny. ;)